Roche ECLIA the same test as LC/MS assay?

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by rich69, Jun 1, 2011.

rich69

rich69 Junior Member

I've searched with no luck. I don't know if it's a stupid question or not, but I'd rather look stupid than waste weeks or months getting the correct treatment.

I was tested for Estradiol using the Roche ECLIA methodology.....I assume from reading other posts online that the preferred method is the "ultra sensitive" LC/MS assay method. I was just curious if these are the same or if I need to have another one done using the specific--- ultra sensitive method.

Current test is 28.2 (7.6-42.6). I was going to go through an online lab that uses lapcorp. My doctor used them.

thanks.

Michael Scally MD

Michael Scally MD Doctor of Medicine

These are different assay methods. IMO, the difference between methods is NOT that important or critical. This is another one of those 'net myths. Regardless, the methodology is not the same and the reference range is the relevant factor.

I did the find the following: Electrochemiluminescent Immunoassay (ECLIA)

Mathew BC, Biju RS, Thapalia N. An overview of electrochemiluminescent (ECL) technology in laboratory investigations. Kathmandu Univ Med J (KUMJ) 2005;3(1):91-3. http://www.kumj.com.np/ftp/issue/9/91-93.pdf

Since 1996 ElectroChemiLuminescence (ECL) technology has been Roche’s immunochemistry detection technology of choice. It was first used in the clinical laboratory on the Elecsys® 2010 analyzer with 6 immunoassay applications. Today ECL is the most successful chemiluminescence technology with more than 75 applications and 20,000 instrument placements worldwide. No other IVD company can offer an automated detection technology that matches ECL’s unique blend of controlled reaction, precision and sensitivity, low sample volume, wide measuring range, and rapid measurement. Roche Professional Diagnostics - Roche and Sysmex Corporation

Click here to see how ECL detection technology works. Roche Professional Diagnostics – ECL Technology - PoP Up

rich69

rich69 Junior Member

I appreciate the reply. Thank you.

D12

D12 Junior Member

I had wondered about this myself since I had an E2 test done by the LCMS assay in July that was normal (in the 20s) and one done by Roche methodology in August that was high (a little over 60).

It had me wondering if such a big difference occurring only a month apart could be explained partly by the type of test used? Also, is the LCMS what they refer to when they say to get the 'sensitive' E2 test?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

© 1997–2015 MESO-Rx. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer.