Rodgers road to recovery

Discussion in 'Powerlifting Forum' started by RodgerThat, Apr 7, 2018.

1. RodgerThat

RodgerThat Member

So as some know I blew my knee out a little over a month ago, the MRI results were not good and there is a lot of things screwed up with my body right now too because of the fall. Ontop of that I had a scare with a tumour that turned out to be gyno (gyno wasn’t my first thought because I haven’t done anything in 2 years to cause gyno so it was weird that a lump showed up and was growing.

So waiting to get surgery for my chest about a year away hopefully (Canada medical woot). Also just went over options for my knee and I’m going to end up living with only a partial MCL and PCL as the surgery is more then I want to go through at my age and I’m hoping I can stabilize the knee again in time with rehab.

So I’ll make occasional posts on here just saying hi might be a goal tossed in here and there. Milestones in the recovery I’ll talk about too and if I get a new treatment of any kind I’ll fill ya in.

So far 6 weeks post accident I’ve done:
    Chiropractic for my body as it’s banged up bad
    Started Physio yesterday for the first time actually working on retraining my leg how to bend.
    Massage therapy
    Ultrasound therapy for blood flow to my miniscus and ligaments
    Stim therapy to make the muscles in the leg fire as I don’t have control of them right now.

Currently I’m weight bearing so long as I’m in an immobilization brace, I walk with a limp and cane. I can’t straighten my leg fully or it dislocates and I can’t bend it past 90 degrees or else my petella dislocates (I physically can’t bend to 90 without using my hands to bend my leg though so not a big issue yet)

The only reason I am documenting this is because I can look back and see what my goals were and it makes me accountable to follow through. There will be limitations post recovery, I’ll live the rest of my life in a fancy knee brace, I probably won’t ever be able to ski to the level I once was and I’ll never be able to Olympic lift the same. But I do plan to squat again because I refuse to be that guy in the gym that doesn’t squat because of his “knee problems” but it will either be a squat in wraps or with the brace overtop of tight tight knee sleeves and I’ll never see a new PR for squats so I’m now looking at it like I’ve never squatted before so anything I do squat is a new PR post accident.

Any questions feel free.

2. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Member

How did you jack up your knee? Did someone drop your ass while on belay or was it a skiing incident? Sounds pretty horrible brother, but this stuff happens all the time to athletes and they bounce back. It's going to be a mental fight as much as physical. Keep us in the loop!

3. RodgerThat

RodgerThat Member

Fell off of a cliff with only one ski on and tried to land but didn’t so I took a 200 foot tumble with one ski on till I finally reached the end of the slide with an assist from some trees to help slow me down

Rockclimber likes this.
  4. johntt44

johntt44 Member

Wish you well! Youre one of the good posters on this board. You(and Perrin) helped me with my deadlift last april, by jan. I was pulling 580x2. Unfortunately I f'ed up my left sacroiliac joint. Im getting a shot in it next wk. I think Ive got olditis!

RodgerThat likes this.
  5. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

Get better ASAP RT!!!

RodgerThat likes this.
  6. I wish you well bro and a speedy recovery. Keep your head up!!

7. insaiyan93

insaiyan93 Member

Heal up dude, do what ya can!

8. RodgerThat

RodgerThat Member

Highlights:

Almost can do a full rotation while pedaling a bike, can walk without a cane as long as I’m in the brace. Benched a silky 295 @172lb BW. Will be in the new bionic brace as of Tuesday so hoping by the end of next week I can pedal a stationary bike and ride my motorcycle (I need to feel speed again).

Kakarot, Rockclimber and insaiyan93 like this.
  9. RodgerThat

RodgerThat Member

E06FD167-E160-435A-B096-97302560244B.jpeg
    I’m bioanic now and this will be the style of brace I’ll wear for the rest of my life until technology is good enough to build me a new knee. Bought a road bike too so gonna get into that as I now can do a full pedal rotation, I can’t get read with any measurable force so it’ll be a few weeks yet till I’m riding the bike but those are the big things happening for me right now. Bench is moving good still and I do 150-200 pull ups a day now in sets of 20 so that’s going good. Been really busy lately fighting for medical coverage and disability but it’s all sorted now so gonna have more time to focus on the fitness side of things. I’m going to be writing programs all week for myself our boy insayan and a couple people on my powerlifting team. Keep grinding y’all

10. Troy22

Troy22 Member

Curious what the brace cost you?

11. insaiyan93

insaiyan93 Member

Ma homie! Glad things are heading in the right direction bro!

Duuuuude my girlfriend and I went to view an apartment yesterday in the next town over which we are hoping to get, of course right after that we went to check out the gym in the area and it is fuckin unreal.

3 deadlift/oly platforms, I think I counted like 10 potential squatting stations, not including the oly squat stand things.

Full set of hammer strength machines it looks like. They have an outdoor yard with Matt for lifting outside, tractor tires, looks like they have a few specialty bars and stuff.

I very well could soon be going to an actual legit gym haha.

Didn't mean to derail the thread but had to share the potentially good news.

RodgerThat, ickyrica and Kakarot like this.
  12. RodgerThat

RodgerThat Member

It cost WCB 3500 total including all the extra under sleeves and J-braces in 3 different sizes. I get lifetime replacement for malfunction or break due to accident or crash and they will remake me up to 4 different sized exo braces. Not cheap but it’s the difference of me limping for the rest of my life or being able to walk and rehab.

Bro you couldn’t derail it if you tried you and your girls good news is great news to me too I can program more for you too and I’m sure your girl will benefit too. What’s the commute like for work?

Troy22 and insaiyan93 like this.
  13. insaiyan93

insaiyan93 Member

Hell yeah, really hoping we get this place. Honestly though after seeing that gym I am going to keep looking in that town exclusively haha.

Commute ain't bad, bout a 25-30 minute drive.

14. ickyrica

ickyrica Member

without mine lower body is not an option. 20180418_173421.jpg

RodgerThat likes this.
  15. RodgerThat

RodgerThat Member

It’s beautiful :oops:.

I appreciate a good looking brace now walking around. Also thank you man gives me hope to get a meaty leg back

ickyrica likes this.
  16. ickyrica

ickyrica Member

All in time man. You're effort level rivals any member on here. The size will come. Healing correctly is huge, rehab is huge. Size and strength will be a "side effect" from the rehab and effort.

RodgerThat likes this.