Saw Palmetto dosage? 450 mg ?

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by dyna5, Aug 10, 2012.

dyna5

dyna5 Junior Member

my bottle from cvs says 450 mg per capsule and take 3x per day.. thats seems rather high.. how much saw palmetto should i be taking for prostate health?

LW64

LW64 Active Member

What makes you think you need it in the first place?

keriheat

keriheat Junior Member

His doctor told him he has a slightly enlarged prostate. He might be looking for something to stem the tide.

LW64

LW64 Active Member

Ah, ok, thanks Keri.

He could try it for, say, 4 months. If his prostate gets smaller, he keeps it. If it doesnt, then he drops it.

keriheat

keriheat Junior Member

Are there any problems with the use of Saw palmetto? I hear some concern in your post.

LW64

LW64 Active Member

It's benefits for BPH are questionable but it's worth a try, AFAIC. If it seems to help, you keep it. If it doesnt, you dont. The idea is that its a 5AR-I and it might provide some modest reduction in DHT production to help with BPH.

OTOH, it might not, so you dont want to take too much and overdo it thinking that more is always better. It may not be. If your 5AR aint broke, you dont try to fix it until it is.

keriheat

keriheat Junior Member

Very good. I hope he will see your post's.

dyna5

dyna5 Junior Member

what is the dosage for saw palmetto?

LW64

LW64 Active Member

First, are you on any blood thinning medications?

Second, what does the label say about the content of each capsule for ONLY this component:

saw palmetto (Serenoa repens) extract ?

Does it have any other ingredients in addition to saw palmetto like nettle? If so, how much?

keriheat

keriheat Junior Member

Dosage.

dyna5

dyna5 Junior Member

its 450 mgs of just saw palmetto serenea repens .

koneall

koneall Junior Member

My understanding is the active ingredient in saw palmetto is beta-sitosterol. I took beta-s for over a year, around 2000mg a day. Then I started having finasteride-type side effects. Turns out beta-s is a 5ARI. A saw palmetto dosage that low might not cause problems but also probably wouldn't help reduce an enlarged prostate. It took about six months being off the beta-s before the side effects wore off. The main ones were sore, swollen nipples and reduction in libido. The nipple symptom was an early sign of gynecomastia. Libido while improved has never returned to what it was before using the beta-s.

koneall

LW64

LW64 Active Member

Exactly what we're trying to avoid. It inhibits 5AR so you hold on to T longer but that drives it to the other T converting enzyme: aromatase. Your E2 goes up so you can get gyno, reduced libido and ED, swollen nipples, and possibly permanent dysfunction of the 5AR enzyme - reducing your DHT level. High E2 and low DHT? Double Whammy! Not good.

It doesnt say how much b-sitosterol is in each cap. Limit what you take to only 1 or 2 capsules a day. Or, consider switching to a brand that is more descriptive about its contents. The info Keri posted is the same thing I have: take no more than about 320 mg/day.

Stay with it for a few months and monitor how you feel until you get back to the doctor and he checks your prostate again. See what it does, then my previous advice applies: keep it if it works and lose it if it doesnt.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
    keriheat

keriheat Junior Member

Here is a review of several Saw palmetto products listing ingredients and dosage size. I take 160mg of saw palmetto that just happens to be in my multi vitamin. Other than that I have no knowledge of the product. After reading up on the product for what its worth, in my opinion, I would think a good starting point would be 160mg a day for 21 days. If you feel good about it, without any negatives, move up to 320mg per day. After a couple of weeks reevaluate and see if this is something you want to continue.

There are plenty of arguments both pro and con and as you probably know, we all react differently to supplements and medication. It might be real good for your situation and you wont really know until you try it.

keriheat

keriheat Junior Member

I like the looks of this one. If I'm not mistaken Spring Valley is a Walmart available product.

UPDATE: I just checked, 100 Capsules 160mg $6.94 @ Walmart

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
    BBC3

BBC3 Well-Known Member

At keri - you get what you pay for. And pay attention to the level of "standardization".

Second, has anyone figured out whether saw palmetto acts identically to a DHT mitigator, or if it has prostate spcific action only? I have never dinked with it because I have not had any DHT issues,and I did not want to inhibit that. At least none noted..

keriheat

keriheat Junior Member

The product I encouraged, is standardized. It is sold by walmart, and amazon.com. it is distibuted by Corpus Vitamins and is manufactured by "Nature's Bounty, Inc. Bohemia, NY 11716. Made in USA"

It sells for over $14 on ebay. Over $10 @ amazon and $6.94 @ Walmart. Sometimes you get the 'same thing' when you pay for it, even at Walmart.

© 1997–2015 MESO-Rx. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer.