Seasoning

Discussion in 'Nutrition / Supplements Forum' started by picholas, Jun 11, 2018.

1. picholas

picholas Member

Chicken, salmon, lean beef, tuna, etc...we love our protein but how are we seasoning it without using sugary sauces and marinades?

Tips/Suggestions/Favorites

Throw in pictures if you got it, curious to see how you guys -- pun intended -- spice it up.

2. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Flavor God pizza seasoning! But I'd make your own, way cheaper

3. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Credit belongs to some guy on reddit. This is the recipe I use and it's just like Flavorgod

On the picture of the label, you can clearly read the list of ingredients: tomato powder, paprika, garlic, sea salt, black pepper, basil leaves, coriander powder, oregano, parsley flakes

Whilst there is no law on disclosing proportions, it IS compulsory to list ingredients in descending order of quantity, so from the look of it in the jar and the list it would seem it is mostly tomato, with a small quantity of parsley.

You could use this as a basis of mixing your own. I would say try the following (based on decades of cooking experience, as opposed to knowing what Flavor God tastes like), and if it's not right, adjust with whatever ingredient you think needs more.

4 tbs freeze-dried tomato powder
    2tsp paprika
    2tsp garlic powder
    1.5tsp salt
    1.5tsp coarse ground black pepper
    1tsp dried basil
    1tsp ground coriander
    1tsp dried oregano
    1tsp dried parsley

FourOneDeuxFitt and picholas like this.
  4. SuperSwede

SuperSwede Member

My chicken is spiced with
    - taco spice mixed with smoked paprika spice, steak it in coconut oil.
    Very tasty!

5. picholas

picholas Member

I do like how coconut oil pairs with chicken and greens a lot.

Been messing around with this ground turkey chili recipe
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 2 pounds ground turkey - a good two minutes of searing before dump into crockpot
    • 2 cups coarsely chopped onions - I prefer white onions, recipe called for yellow
    • 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
    • 1 large sweet red pepper, cored, deveined and coarsely chopped
    • 1 cup chopped celery
    • 1 jalapeno pepper, cored, deveined and finely chopped
    • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano/1 tablespoon dried
    • 3 bay leaves
    • 3 tablespoons chili powder
    • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
    • 3 cups canned diced tomatoes
    • 2 cups chicken broth - careful on the sodium with these
    • Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
    • 2 15-ounce cans of red kidney beans, drained
    Top with cheddar, lime, and sour cream if bulking LOL

But I make big batches of it for meal prep, one of my favorites and easiest.

6. Btcowboy

Btcowboy Member

My ground Turkey is Montreal chicken spice with big country garlic seasoning.
    My chicken breast is chili, smoked paprika, olive oil and lime juice.
    Steak is olive oil chopped garlic and Montreal steak spice

7. TheH0517

TheH0517 Member

AA2C9EBB-BE13-4E75-A383-4C8A7425B28E.jpeg

95982AC6-2E8C-4E77-B09A-4692500AFBCE.jpeg

BE18DCC4-2C74-4D32-9EDF-A0B065E6947B.jpeg

FourOneDeuxFitt and Logan44551 like this.
  8. picholas

picholas Member

Ugh that sodium though :(

9. TheH0517

TheH0517 Member

The same amount you’ll get in just about any regular seasoning or electrolyte supplement/drink. If you aren’t using a salt shaker standalone, it’s probably helping more than hurting. I also only use it every once in a while.

10. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

Why are you so concerned over sugars and sodium? Sodium is an essential micronutrient and sugars are a great form of energy for highly anaerobic activities.

11. MindlessWork

MindlessWork Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Kickin Chicken works great and it is one versatile spice.

12. McCormick makes a habanero garlic blend that’s awesome on damn near anything. Use it in omlettes and pretty much any kind of dish that contains meat. Think it’s like $3 bucks and some change.

13. picholas

picholas Member

It's not that it's bad, I was just following this.

The American Heart Association recommends no more than 2,300 milligrams.

But if that's wrong, I have no problem going higher, means more flavor.

As for sugars they're fine too but I aim for foods that are low on the glycemic index.

Big fan of G2 gatorade, if I was that concerned with the sugar I would go to the sugar free powerade.

14. TheH0517

TheH0517 Member

I’m definitely more careful with the timing of my sugar intake when I’m cutting.

But those sodium recommendations are most likely meant for those who don’t engage in high intensity anerobic activity 4-6 days/week. I wouldn’t overload on sodium, but having enough sodium is important for hydration.

picholas likes this.
  15. picholas

picholas Member

Good point, that's based on the standard 2k calorie diet and I am at 4k now, so I'm not sure how much more I can go up.

16. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

You can safely go up quite a bit. The FDA recommends around 64g of protein daily based on a 2000cal diet as well. We go significantly higher than that routinely

picholas and FourOneDeuxFitt like this.
  17. Eman

Eman Member

We do?

Oh yeah.... We do.

I have started adding a lot of salt to my food... Feels great.

18. picholas

picholas Member

Thanks guys, going to up my intake and see if there's any negative effects in terms of bloat/feeling.

If not, my taste buds solute you in advanced!

TheH0517 likes this.
  19. IMG_1328.JPG I put this on my grilled chicken not too much on breast but legs and wings I load em up with a nice crust. Chili or taco meats I just use Whole Foods 365 chili powder and a dash of pruvian season. But up until recently I've hated tomatoe sauce could only do a vodka sauce but tomato paste has been slowly making its way into a few of my dishes. Red meats like Ribeyes and Skirts I just use Salt and Pepper.

20. picholas

picholas Member

I love me some Peruvian food. Been big into Portuguese too lately.

And for tomato paste I know it's really high in in lycopene, which prevents cancer and it is 4x more bio-available than in fresh tomatoes.