Selenium (from yeast) is helping with my low libido a lot.

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by chip douglas, Oct 22, 2006.

chip douglas

chip douglas Junior Member

I'd like to share with you this : 100 mcg of selenium from yeast/day is wonderful for my low libido. I've repeated this over and over and it's consistent--not that I'm not taking anything else beside selenium.
    chip douglas

I know selenium can indirectly affect testosterone :

Selenium is localized in the mitochondrial capsule protein and is involved in biosynthesis of testosterone (Bedwal RS, Nair N, Sharma MP, Mathur RS, Selenium--its biological perspectives., Med Hypotheses 1993 Aug;41(2):150-9).

Do you guys know of other reasons why selenium has this consistent and fast effect on me, like within 3-4 hours after I take it in ?

Naturdoc Junior Member

What is the exact form of Selenium? I have not seen it to be useful at 200 mcg although it should help with thyroid synthesis also and competes with toxic heavy metal binding. Is there something else in the product?
    Good work finding something that helps you.

marianco Doctor of Medicine

Selenium is used by the enzymes which activate thyroid hormone (converting T4 (thyroxine) to the more active t3 (triiodotyronine). Thyroid hormone in turn stimulates testicular steroid hormone synthesis (e.g. increasing testosterone production).

Often people have diets deficient in selenium.

Selenium has many uses. For example, it is the most active antioxidant mineral. It helps reduce the risk for prostate cancer. It helps (along with zinc) in reducing stress-related hair loss.

The usual dose is 200 mcg a day when used as a supplement.

Some people are allergic to yeast. They would need to take a yeast-free selenium product.

L-selenomethoinine as a source of selenium has a bad odor. Sodium Selenite is something I would prefer instead.
    chip douglas

chip douglas

Yet again a very straight to the point and interesting post......many thanks Marianco :)

JanSz Junior Member

Thank you Dr Marianco;

Within my daily supplements, one pill of Super Booster Softgels
    contains 200 mcg Selenium (as sodium selenate, selenomethione, se-methylselenocysteine, selenodiglutathione)

hardasnails1973 Active Member

Yes but in order to activate the selenium one needs to have adequete level of vitamin E as well because they are synergistic.

© 1997–2015 MESO-Rx. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer.