Set volume for working out

Discussion in 'Bodybuilding Forum' started by Karma10, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Karma10

Karma10 Junior Member

Reading programs and I came across one on bodybuilding that seemed kind of strange. The person suggests doing 6-10 sets of 3-5 reps. I typically thought going heavy people would do around 3-4 sets for an exercise. Thanks

2. Xlgx

Xlgx Member

Very popular program 10x3

3. Ironlord

Ironlord Member

Not really. In powerlifting you're generally going to have a higher volume of sets, with lower reps... 10x3 is a pretty standard program. You need longer rest periods and more sets of low reps to create the adaptive response needed to get stronger...

4. Karma10

Karma10 Junior Member

I feel like I've been doing it wrong this whole time then because I've always feel like I'm not getting as much of a pump with only 3x5 working sets on squats. Thanks guys, I'll increase my amount of sets on my squats, deadlift, bench and shoulder press

5. Ironlord

Ironlord Member

Bodybuilders train for the pump. You won't necessarily get much pump when you are training for strength... The muscle isn't under tension long enough for that.

Uttukuxul likes this.
  6. Uttukuxul

Uttukuxul Member

This is pretty much it. It's all about the focus of the training, specificity must be observed if we're to make the best use of our time. From a bodybuilding standpoint, over the long term, it makes the most sense to squeeze the most disruption we can out of moderate loads, and when those loads are no longer sufficiently disruptive to homeostasis, seek to implement blocks of training which focus on strength adaptations. Each session should have a specific purpose (unless you need a "whatever the fuck I feel like" day to break monotony for the psychological benefits that may have)

Necessary Evil and Ironlord like this.
  7. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Exactly. You're not training for a pump

Ironlord and Uttukuxul like this.
  8. Karma10

Karma10 Junior Member

Oh Okay, so my time hasn't been wasted with mediocre pump while building for strength. Thanks. You guys rock.

Uttukuxul likes this.
  9. barneys

barneys Member

I always train for strength using low rep sets. But at the end, I always do a few high rep sets just to get the pump and look juicy ;)

10. Demondosage

Demondosage Member

Getting stronger through progressive overload and lower reps is more important when building a foundation of size to mass. But from that point on its just injury prone to train that way and risk to reward is far greater.

11. Demondosage

Demondosage Member

It's not "if" it's "when" . You see these monsters rolling a bicep up their arm deadlifting, this isn't becaise they don't know what they're doing or aren't strong. It's because the body is only gonna take so much before shit starts going wrong

12. There isn't a specific set or rep range that's optimal for hypertrophy. Experts are quite divided on this subject, there are many who state that lower repetitions have similar hypertrophic effects to the classic medium/high rep bodybuilding style. So, you can't tell for sure.

I personally, when building a program, try to go based on the type of muscle fibers of a given muscle and I generally prefer a DUP [Daily Undulating Periodization] style of training to capture a broad spectrum of rep ranges for all muscle groups.

13. Sajan

Sajan Junior Member

From my understanding if you want to get stronger, you have to lift heavy things in the low rep range. If you want to get bigger, rep range matters less but total volume of sets matters more. My guess is that the reason bodybuilders don't do a lot of low reps is not because they won't grow in that rep range, but it will be tough getting a ton of heavy sets in to stimulate hypertrophy. i.e. It would be more efficient to get 3 sets x 10 reps than 10 sets x 3 reps.

For hypertrophy, 6-15 reps, 10-20 sets per muscle group, 2x a week.
    Ideally you want to incorporate some low reps on a rotating basis also into your workout on your major lifts such as bench, deads etc.