SLDL Pain

Discussion in 'Bodybuilding Forum' started by FourOneDeuxFitt, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Did my first set of SLDL today @ 245lbs for 12. Second set was lowering weight down on second rep, when I went to contract back up it was almost like a sharp spasm. Right above tailbone on right side. Wasn’t like a “pop” and no burning or “hot” sensation so I don’t believe anything was torn. But the initial tightness and pain I couldn’t move for a good 2 minutes. Just stood there. Tightness subsided and I proceeded to stretch for a good 5-10 min and it seemed to ease it ALOT. STOPPED SLDL and moved onto lying hamstring curls and was able to complete all sets no pain whatsoever. Slight pain thought doing seated hamstring curls. No pain walking or doing standing calf raises. Proceeded to stretch inbetween all sets (just doing toe touches). Weirdest pain though I’ve ever had. Still bit tight and painful when I stand up from seated position and bend over. Both excruciating thank god so I don’t believe it was anything “major”. Still lower back pain/injury is nothing to take lightly. Anyone ever had an experience like this? Any recommendations for other stretches etc? Gonna stay away from SLDL for a few weeks and any major lower back stressors...

2. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Go see a chiropractor and massage therapist

FourOneDeuxFitt likes this.
  3. Scheduled for chiro tomorrow. Made that appt before I even left the gym. @Evom1

4. Xlgx

Xlgx Member

For some body types. This is a dangerous/unnecessary movement. Whether done with db, bb or in the smith.

5. Never had an issue with it before. Another thing that didn’t make too much sense was the fact I was using lighter weight than normal. So I mean yeah the tension and stress was on the muscle but not like I would normally. Was aiming for a higher rep day today. All movements went well leading up to them (warmed up with extensions and hamstring curls, then leg press, hack squats, more extensions then into SLDL). Even first set of SLDL went smooth. So. Idk?

6. Xlgx

Xlgx Member

As an older guy 40+. I learned the hard way to part ways with some exercises. Risk is not worth the reward for me...

7. TheH0517

TheH0517 Member

Same thing happened to me except I tried another set after. Worst idea ever. Now it’s 3 months later and it’s still injured... what you should do? Not sure, but don’t be over-confident about the pain subsiding and put too much stress too soon.

I’ve been using a rehab protocol and it’s working magic, but I’m still building it back. Still dealing with pain and tightness, even down my legs.

8. Yeah it was weird. Today it’s still a bit painful and sore. Much much better than Friday obviously when it happened. Mobility improved every day since as well. Just gonna continue to stretch more, make sure I’m really warming up properly, and stay away from SLDL and regular dead’s for a few weeks until it feels comfortable to put that stress back onto the lower back. Even then going to still ease back into it with weights and just look to other exercises to build up hamstrings. Bummed out tho SLDL are one of my fav exercises.

TheH0517 likes this.
  9. TheH0517

TheH0517 Member

I feel ya, I miss pulling that “heavy” weight (I’m still weak, but whatever lol).

How to Rehab Muscle Strains and Tears | The Art of Manliness

@grey put me onto this for my back. I’ve finally stopped from re-injuring it long enough to implement this the last 2.5 weeks (labor intensive job makes it difficult) and it’s working really well. Just in case you feel it’s necessary.

10. Appreciate it. Definitely gonna give it a go. I feel you on that it’s hard to completely “heal” when you have to be on your feet most of the day and can’t seem to ever catch the time to just actually get some consistent rest.

TheH0517 likes this.
  11. TheH0517

TheH0517 Member

Ya and I have to lift heavy shit all day and get in a rush. Nobody wants to be that guy that says “I can’t lift this” lol. But I just had to slow down and ask for help and it’s paid off. Just take care of it brother! I HATE injuries. I feel like I’m 26 going on 50.

12. Yeah man I know what you mean. Same exact way where I work as well. Fortunately this is the first injury I’ve had in a very long time. But probably due to neglecting stretching properly and taking my time to also warm up.

Read through that article very good read. Appreciate the time and input brother.

TheH0517 likes this.
  13. TheH0517

TheH0517 Member

Yessir, just helping as I was helped.

Hope it all goes well bud.