Sleep apnea- good CPAP alternative?

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by Biggles48, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Biggles48

Biggles48 Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Thought I’d post a new thread to see if I can get some input. I have sleep apnea. Caused by my neck size growth during my bulk up. Cannot stand my CPAP- having shit hanging off my face all night. Tried variety of masks. To me they all suck.

Who has used one of those mouth piece things that reposition your jaw? They work? Or other ideas?

2. turcao

turcao Member

I used one when I was 30 pounds lighter after having UPPP surgery. it worked well until I gained weight. The mouth piece I had was not was of those $100 ones you get online, it was very expensive. I thought it was uncomfortable until I got back on cpap, now I wish I could go back

Biggles48 likes this.
  3. Eman

Eman Member

The products that reposition your jaw are typically only helpful for those that are sort of on the cusp of OSA. If you can lose 5-10lbs and not have issues, then the jaw guards can be helpful... But it might be better to just try and keep those 5-10lbs off.

Other than that, there is really nothing on the market currently that will address OSA the way a CPAP does... Unfortunately. Even surgery doesn't really have as much statistical advantage over a CPAP... Unless you are a good candidate because of sinus or jaw alignment issues.

Mac11wildcat and Biggles48 like this.
  4. Slab

Slab Member

There is a device called Inspire that uses electrical stimulation to keep air ways open during sleep. Controlled by a remote.

I looked into it a couple years back but it wasn’t available in Canada at the time.

5. shady

shady Member

can i ask how long youve used the cpap for? took me ages to get used to it but it feels alien to me if i dont wear it now

Mac11wildcat likes this.
  6. Mac11wildcat

Mac11wildcat Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I don’t mean this in any way other than to help and have no idea where your physique stands; losing weight is always a viable means of helping with this issue.

Eman likes this.
  7. Eman

Eman Member

Weigh less? No one cares what you think... :)

I've dealt with sleep apnea issues for I guess about 2 years now? Last year I decided to just lean the fuck out and see what happened with everything sleep apnea related. I got down to somewhere around/below 12%bf and I still had the issues... It would have been a question of reducing muscle mass at that point because there was just no fat mass in that area per dexa. I felt that 12% was something that I could maintain year round if it meant fixing the OSA... It didn't but it most certainly improved it. I had to turn the pressure way down on the unit or it would fill my stomach like a birthday balloon.

With all that said, I do agree with you... I just wish it had been the case with me. I have structural issues in my neck/jaw/etc that make for a good environment for OSA.

The best advice I can give OP is to just stick with it. I hated it with every fiber of my being, and still kind of do, but it does get easier over time. Eventually, I responded to it like Pavlov's dogs and it would put me to sleep after putting it on.

Koyan, Biggles48 and Mac11wildcat like this.
  8. Mac11wildcat

Mac11wildcat Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

100%, I know it isn’t a remedy, and won’t solve it for a lot of guys. I do know that i wasn’t bordering on it this offseason and now being closer to a show my sleep is improved. I see it the same way as drugs; instead of treating a symptom, see if you can address a simpler cause. Some guys will never solve it no matter how lean.

9. Biggles48

Biggles48 Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

About 4 months. I put it on every night and either wake up claustrophobic and take it off intentionally, or rip it off my face without knowing, waking my wife up with the sound of a wind tunnel next to her head.

10. shady

shady Member

yes i also used to rip it off my face in some kind of semi dream state of panic, took me probably 3 or 4 months to get properly used to it (hard to say accurately as i didnt keep a log) but well worth it in the end

11. This may or may not work, but try sleeping without a pillow so your head is on the bed. It kinda helped me, but my apnea is mild, 5-10 pauses per hr according to the home test. I have to return my machine cause I don’t have $100 a month to pay to hopefully one day figure it out right now since I’m going to school full-time and $ is tight.

12. shady

shady Member

ouch, glad we have the nhs over here. the resmed model i have costs just under £1000 from germany when i checked including the mask. im assuming they use similar quality machines over there. over a lifetime of rental theyre havin your eyes out!

13. I’m paying 30% and insurance pays the rest, but that 30% is $90/month. I believe the rental fees go until it’s paid off or something, think they said $2000-$3000. Don’t have that kind of cash going to school, if I had success I’d make it happen but I kinda gave up. The sleeping without a pillow has definitely helped a bit and it’s free lol.

14. shady

shady Member

free always wins the day :)

The Terminator likes this.