Sleep Apnea

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by FiEnD, May 28, 2018.

1. FiEnD

FiEnD Member

Are there any studies that link TRT or AAS use to Sleep Apnea? I've recently noticed I've got Sleep Apnea pretty bad and before I go in to see a doc I want to eliminate a few things that could be self inflicting the condition.

Thanks in advance.

2. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Body weight and neck circumference are two of the biggest factors

3. FiEnD

FiEnD Member

Interesting.

4. Logan44551

Logan44551 Member

5. mdhx3

mdhx3 Member

I'm really glad you asked this because I recently started snoring since starting aas. Put on a good deal of muscle mass since February; and started snoring about April.....getting worse as my size increases.
    3 nights ago I woke myself up feeling suffocated.....heart about to pound out of my chest and terrified.
    So, I just developed obstructive sleep apnea at age 42 and I know it is because of the increased mass.
    I have seen plenty of morbidly obese people as patients with OSA; but never a fit and muscular one until it happened to me.

To answer your question about seeing a doc; I scheduled my sleep study for a week from tomorrow. The reason I went ahead and did it is because I don't want to decrease my muscle mass to get rid of the sleep apnea. BUT it has to be treated because obstructive sleep apnea is one of the most easily modifiable risk factors for congestive heart failure.
    So I predict I will own a CPAP machine within the next month.

FiEnD likes this.
  6. Eman

Eman Member

Yes.

Testosterone therapy and obstructive sleep apnea: is there a real connection? - PubMed - NCBI

Impact of testosterone replacement therapy on thromboembolism, heart disease and obstructive sleep apnoea in men. - PubMed - NCBI

Testosterone replacement in hypogonadal men: effects on obstructive sleep apnoea, respiratory drives, and sleep. - PubMed - NCBI

However, OSA has been linked to low testosterone levels too... Damned if you do, damned if don't I guess.

Testosterone Deficiency and Sleep Apnea. - PubMed - NCBI

Reducing bodyfat will work in your favor in a major way. Yes, skinny people can get sleep apnea too but they are often the exception to the rule... Less bodyfat = less chance the sleep apnea will continue.

7. FiEnD

FiEnD Member

Damn that's crazy! I'm in good health, and low body fat. 36 years old and definitely never had any issues like this before starting TRT

8. Monstar

Monstar Member

Down to about 11-12% and not helping. I'll make 10% shortly but probably need to schedule that study. Damn!

9. Eman

Eman Member

Just because you're snoring doesn't mean you have sleep apnea, if that's what you're basing it on.

But, you may just have muscle mass and a genetic predisposition causing it.

10. FiEnD

FiEnD Member

I'm actually heading in for a Sleep Study this evening

11. Dr JIM

Dr JIM Member

While the AAS related weight change may contribute to the “development” of sleep apnea the overwhelming majority were OVERWEIGHT beforehand.

And some of these same folk ask about bulking cycles, WTF.

The problem for many is based upon the notion AAS can be used to lose weight, wrong!

Jim

12. Dr JIM

Dr JIM Member

And what is your TBF based upon?

What is your BMI?

13. FiEnD

FiEnD Member

I'm definitely not overweight nor have I bulked to a point that weight would be an issue.

Hopefully tonight's test gives me some answers

14. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in February. Something like 95 episodes an hour. Tonight will be night 5 on the CPAP machine.

15. FiEnD

FiEnD Member

I'm literally in their bed all hooked up to wires right now.

They say if I need the CPAP machine they will wake me up at 2am to put it on but if they don't it doesn't mean I don't need it

16. Dr JIM

Dr JIM Member

One of the primary complaints of SA patients is they feel tired all day with many falling asleep at work.

Was that an issue for you @Docd187123

I can't imagine how daytime sleepiness was not a compliant at 95 episodes an hour,
    unless they were VERY BRIEF pauses

FiEnD likes this.
  17. Dr JIM

Dr JIM Member

Some folk are soo tired as to injure themselves falling OUT of a chair or the worse case scenario while driving!

If I recall correctly @Eman can provide some insight on the latter.

Docd187123 likes this.
  18. Eman

Eman Member

Luckily not. I have experience with my company needing to send drivers for DOT physicals, which in turn can result in the requirement for sleep apnea testing due to at risk markers like height to weight ratio, or neck size.

I have/had sleep apnea... Wearing a cpap was not really possible for me, especially for the long term. I end up sleeping less and feel far worse than if I hadn't worn it at all. I decided to get rid of unnecessary bodyfat, I hadn't particularly tried to improve my physique in a while. Going from +20% bodyfat to 12% currently has made a vast improvement on a lot of things. I still snore here and there but not nearly as bad and I have no symptoms of sleep apnea, although I didn't have many even when I tested positive for sleep apnea. Regardless, I believe I'm definitely on the right track.

Docd187123 likes this.
  19. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Absolutely. I could sleep 8-10hrs a night and all day I was ready to take a nap and would be able to fall asleep in 5mins. Kept caffeine pills in my car because of how tired I'd be driving

20. FiEnD

FiEnD Member

Fucking sleep study nearly kept me up all night