Supplementing iodine and selenium

Discussion in 'Nutrition / Supplements Forum' started by Evom1, May 30, 2018.

1. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Hey guys. Looking for information on supplementing iodine and selenium. I was going to pm @Roger rabbit since he seems to be our resident supplement guru, but I felt making a thread would benefit the community more.

2. Roger rabbit

Roger rabbit Member

Iodine supplementation is good.

I wouldn’t supplement with selenium though. It’s too easy to get in eggs and nuts and the body doesn’t need very much of this. Long term overages could lead into problems and if I remember correctly could lead to diabetes even on the Lower realm. But don’t quote me exactly on the diabetes.

3. Apexvallen

Apexvallen Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Do you have a deficiency somewhere evo or just trying and see what happens?

4. Eman

Eman Member

Use table salt.

Eat eggs, meat, fish and dairy.

Iodine and selenium taken care of.

Roger rabbit likes this.
  5. Ironlyfe80

Ironlyfe80 Member

Pure cranberry juice (not from concentrate or cocktail) has more than enough iodine.

Roger rabbit likes this.
  6. Dr JIM

Dr JIM Member

Although rare exceptions occur,
    (often as a part of malnutrition in the elderly, disabled or debilitated) because iodine deficient goiter/hypothyroidism has all but been eliminated in the US, following a relatively low sodium diet remains the current recommendation.

Thus while iodionized table salt is
    preferred, efforts to circumvent iodine deficiency by increasing table salt consumption are NOT warranted.

In fact even though pregnant females are considered a high risk group, the current recommendation remains iodine supplemation thru the use of prenatal vitamins, rather than enhanced table salt consumption

Jim

7. Roger rabbit

Roger rabbit Member

I find this funny in a sense that one would think to themself...

well I’m low on iodine, guess I better up my dosage of table salt to 7 grams

Dr JIM likes this.
  8. Dr JIM

Dr JIM Member

Because the addition of iodinizec salt has become an integral part of our food stuff manufacturing process how could someone believe an iodine defeciency is the source of what ails them.

9. Roger rabbit

Roger rabbit Member

There would be several ways.

the first and most problematic would be if you are eating excess amounts of processed foods or you were to consume goitrogen in excess from certain vegetables which would hinder the uptake of the iodine from the other foods you were to eat.

Although, I wouldn’t know to what extent but it is probable for this situation to occur. And I would suspect more so in possibly a vegetarian / vegan who possibly would not have a diversified eating regimen and just happen to eat more goitrogen products.

10. Dr JIM

Dr JIM Member

And what you’re suggesting is anything but objective evidence of Iodine deficiency.

Fact is low value based upon the current standard a 24 hr iodine urine collection, can NOT be considered deficient per se in the absence of laboratory evidence of hypothyroidism.

And while certain goitergens may
    disrupt thyroid fact the end result is an enlarged thyroid (AKA goiter) which is objective evidence
    of thyroid dysfunction AND those
    folk should be screened for iodine deficiency.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  11. Roger rabbit

Roger rabbit Member

Of course what I’m saying is objective eveidence. The question was though... how could one become iodine defecient In which I listed several ways one could find them-self in a position to head down a path to becoming iodine deficient.

12. Dr JIM

Dr JIM Member

Oh I understand since Evom1 has
    a history of starting experimenter threads in which, much to his chagrin, the replies must be qualified and or quantified.

Jim