TDEE Calculator

Discussion in 'Nutrition / Supplements Forum' started by Arcânn, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Arcânn

Arcânn Member

I found this online TDEE calculator that I think would be useful to me (and everyone else, especially beginners): TDEE Calculator: Learn Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure

But do you guys think it's accurate? And more importantly (to me) after you calculate your TDEE, it gives you a maintenance, cutting, and bulking formula with the amounts of each macronutrient. For each of those sections, it has moderate carb, low carb, and high carb options. I've never heard of "low carb bulking".

I was hoping some of you could shed some light on these supposed differences between high carb and low carb bulking????....and cutting since I'm curious, although cutting is nowhere near an immediate goal.

I'm just REALLY trying to get this diet thing right since that's always been my biggest challenge.

Fryguy and FourOneDeuxFitt like this.
  2. Well the number I just got typing in my stats compared to the formula I normally use when calculating for myself and clients is relatively accurate.

I like how after the fact they give sample macros options as well. This could most definitely be a useful tool for many on this forum. Hell I’ll probably come back to it in the near future myself.

Thanks for sharing this.

Towards your question... I’ve never used “low carb bulking”. If I’m “bulking” my macros are roughly around 50% carbohydrates, 30% protein (sometimes a bit higher and carbs a bit lower), and fats make up the rest. For me, personally, my body responds well to that and I’m able to also stay tight and not let body composition get lost during the “bulk”.

Arcânn likes this.
  3. hookairs

hookairs Member

this calculator changed my life dont sleep:

4. hookairs

hookairs Member

aaand a little context for the interested:

5. Eman

Eman Member

It's showing a TDEE for me that's a little bit high. Not too far off but enough to cause trouble for a few weeks until I got things figured out.

I've found it a little easier to determine BMR, which tends to be more accurately calculated IME, and then work up from there with calories based upon activity level.

The only difference with high or low carb bulking is where you want to derive your macros and calories from. Some people don't really like high carbs because it makes them feel sluggish, so they lower them. When they lower them, they need to make up for the decrease in calories so fats go up. Conversely, if people feel better on high carbs, you can't keep fat levels the same because your calories will be excessive... So they need lowered. All about calorie balance.

FourOneDeuxFitt likes this.
  6. What’s your approach to calculate BMR?

7. Arcânn

Arcânn Member

So it's sounding like for bulking in general, ~30% of calories coming from protein is the sweet spot? And the rest more or less has to do with how carbs make you feel? (I guess carb sensitivity)

And thanks for the quick replies! You've all been very helpful already

8. Eman

Eman Member

You can use a calculator online just like the TDEE calculator. Also, on the dexa scans I've had done they calculated my BMR on the paperwork. At the University lab that I have my dexa scans performed, they offer RMR (resting metabolic rate) tests too.

If you're wondering what the difference between BMR & RMR is, they're essentially the same except BMR testing is slightly more strict and the results slightly more accurate.

9. Eman

Eman Member

That's not a bad rule of thumb. Typically, bulking protein is figured at bodyweight or a little less. So, if you weigh 200lbs you may want to get 165gr to 200gr of protein. I personally think that it should be kept higher unless you're female or you weigh over 250lbs... The biggest reason to keep protein lower on a bulk is to help appetite. If you're 200lbs you should still be able to easily take in more than 165gr of protein in a day.

Carbs and fats can just make up the difference in the rest of your macros however you really want. Calorie balance is the most important part of diet structure, macros come second, and the other parts are pretty negligible until you get to a higher level.. like nutrient timing and such.

10. That Reddit TDEE is one of the best tools out there. It just needs a lot of time to be accurate. I use it close to two months and it's great. Do recommend it.