Testosterone levels of vegans vs meat eaters

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by Handle2, May 25, 2013.

Handle2

Handle2 Member

I'm curious to know if men on a vegan or even vegetarian diet would have lower testosterone levels than men who eat meat. Is anyone aware of any studies that have been done on this?

Michael Scally MD

Michael Scally MD Doctor of Medicine

Key TJ, Roe L, Thorogood M, Moore JW, Clark GM, Wang DY. testosterone, sex hormone-binding globulin, calculated free testosterone, and oestradiol in male vegans and omnivores. Br J Nutr 1990;64(1):111-9. Cambridge Journals Online - British Journal of Nutrition - Abstract - Testosterone, sex hormone-binding globulin, calculated free testosterone, and oestradiol in male vegans and omnivores

Total testosterone (T), total oestradiol (E2) and sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) concentrations were measured in plasma samples from fifty-one male vegans and fifty-seven omnivores of similar age. Free T concentration was estimated by calculation. In comparison with the omnivores, the vegans had 7% higher total T (P = 0.250), 23% higher SHBG (P = 0.001), 3% lower free T (P = 0.580), and 11% higher E2 (P = 0.194). In a subset of eighteen vegans and twenty-two omnivores for whom 4 d diet records were available, there were statistically significant correlations between T and polyunsaturated fatty acids (r 0.37), SHBG and fat (r 0.43 for total fat, 0.46 for saturated fatty acids and 0.33 for polyunsaturated fatty acids), and SHBG and alcohol (r-0.39). It is concluded that a vegan diet causes a substantial increase in SHBG but has little effect on total or free T or on E2.

Allen NE, Appleby PN, Davey GK, Key TJ. Hormones and diet: low insulin-like growth factor-I but normal bioavailable androgens in vegan men. Br J Cancer 2000;83(1):95-7. British Journal of Cancer - Hormones and diet: low insulin-like growth factor-I but normal bioavailable androgens in vegan men

Mean serum insulin-like growth factor-I was 9% lower in 233 vegan men than in 226 meat-eaters and 237 vegetarians (P = 0.002). Vegans had higher testosterone levels than vegetarians and meat-eaters, but this was offset by higher sex hormone binding globulin, and there were no differences between diet groups in free testosterone, androstanediol glucuronide or luteinizing hormone.

Handle2

Handle2 Member

Thanks. Do you have any idea why a vegan diet would increase SHBG and E2?

foreveryoung

foreveryoung Well-Known Member

it said nothing of the sort about e2

Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

The first study reported higher E2 for vegans but it wasn't statistically significant.

foreveryoung

foreveryoung Well-Known Member

ok, I missed that, but I guess the fact that it wasn't significant is what we should emphasize

probably the fact that free T was raised would account for an equal raise in e2 one would think

hardasnails1973

hardasnails1973 Active Member

inflammation from all the grains and other inflammatory foods you have in your food selections. I do not recommend vegan diets, 30-40 years ago be different stories. SHBG increases with lower protein, fats, and higher fiber intake. There are medical studies to support this.

hardasnails1973

hardasnails1973 Active Member

inflammation from all the grains and other inflammatory foods you have in your food selections can cause a lot of issues. I do not recommend vegan diets, 30-40 years ago be different stories. SHBG increases with lower protein, fats, and higher fiber intake. There are medical studies to support this.

© 1997–2015 MESO-Rx. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer.