Texas anti surveillance email system

Discussion in 'Security, Privacy & Anonymity' started by pumpingiron22, Aug 14, 2014.

1. pumpingiron22

pumpingiron22 Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Posted: Aug 12, 2014 6:28 PM CDTUpdated: Aug 12, 2014 6:28 PM CDT

By: Melissa Cutler - bio | email

If you're disturbed by the growing trend of the government getting access to your personal information, some North Texas computer experts say that they may have the answer.

A group of developers in Garland are taking personal privacy in emails to a whole new level by founding a service that allows only recipients the ability to read the names of the senders and where the email was sent from – not a third a party if they get ahold of it.

Dark Mail is an anti-surveillance email service born after it was brought to light that government agencies like the NSA were snooping on citizens' emails.

Its creator, Ladar Levison, works with similar minded computer experts at all hours in a rented house in Garland.

“It's about protecting our privacy and returning our freedom to associate,” said Levison.

The SMU alum first created an ultra-secure email service called Lavabit, which was said to have been used by Edward Snowden, the NSA security leaker.

Last year, the feds forced Levison to install surveillance equipment on his company's network, but when they wanted his encryption keys, Levison pulled the plug on the project because he says he didn't want to compromise the privacy of hundreds of thousands of other users.

Dark Mail rose from the ashes of that experience.

Through complex mathematical algorithms, encrypting data masks who sent the emails and authenticates who receives them.

“By creating messages that are protected by these difficult mathematical problems, we ensure that it becomes impossible, technologically impossible, for bulk surveillance to occur,” said Levison.

Levison says that if the government wants information, they need to do it the old fashioned way – through things like search warrants.

“My goal was really about removing the service provider from the surveillance equation; forcing law enforcement to go to the user to demand their information,” said Levison.

Levison says there are about eight companies scattered around the world working in collaboration on the project.

Once it's online and ready to go in about six months or less,

BIGMESC likes this.
  2. gr8whitetrukker

gr8whitetrukker Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

That's fucking great. Any way we can take small little liberties back from the cryptic hands of big brother is a positive step

3. BIGMESC

BIGMESC Member

I like it, one of my goals I am going to set for myself is to better educate myself on internet security.

PI22 do you have any recommended reading for someone who is a beginner in this area but has the will and ability to self educate

4. pumpingiron22

5. pumpingiron22

6. pumpingiron22

7. pumpingiron22

I find alot of stuff on the web. I read. Then look it up on you tube. In just dive in to doing it. Always has been special talent I've had.

BIGMESC likes this.
  8. vivame

vivame Member

Here's some people worth following on twitter if you're interested:

sambowne
    CoreSecurity
    SecurityWeek
    SecurityTube
    christiaan008
    cyberwar

BIGMESC and pumpingiron22 like this.