The day you start lifting is the day you become forever small

Discussion in 'Steroid Forum' started by MairUnderwood(Researcher), Nov 7, 2019 at 10:48 PM.

1. True or not?

2. Cityofgrit

Cityofgrit Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I think it's like most statements, true for some and not for others. Except one statement that's always true...
    Epstein didn't kill himself.

3. what about you - forever small?

4. Cityofgrit

Before I started powerlifting, I thought like that. Now, I am happy with my weight..I'm just chasing heavier weights to lift. :D

5. so the reason you are lifting makes a difference?

6. already quoting this in my paper. my favourite bit:
    You’ve maxed out your beginner gains and you finally have the hint of muscle. But this goes straight to your head. You are by no means big, but this is the first and only time you think you are big, because body dysmorphia has yet to set in. ..You are the shit. Enjoy it while it lasts hot shot

It is my impression that a lot of the Bro Science humour is because there is an element of truth to it - at least IMHO from what I have heard from bodybuilders

7. Cityofgrit

Yes it does. Bodybuilders generally chase size. Powerlifters are in weight classes and usually try to get as strong as possible in their weight class. There are some average looking powerlifters that can lift a whole fuck ton of weight. Athletes that lift usually lift just to enhance their specific skills in a given sport and not to chase getting bigger. Sometimes getting bigger isn't a necessary or even desired goal in weightlifting, depending on your reason for doing so.

8. yes, i don't think i have ever heard of a powerlifter suffering from muscle dysmorphia because the focus in on what the muscle can do, rather than on the size of the muscle per se.

9. Cityofgrit

Exactly, but I think bodybuilding is a different story. That's about appearance. I would be interested to know if people turn to bodybuilding because they are body dysmorphic or if they become that way in the pursuit of bodybuilding. I suppose that's really a "what came first, the chicken or the egg" kind of question.

MaxVolume likes this.
  10. WolfGain

WolfGain Member

sounds more like an inferiority complex, probably has to do with accepting failure or being repressed
    Or not getting enough pussy

11. hurricane

hurricane Member

Yes. Very true imo.

Oldschool likes this.
  12. LeoTC

LeoTC Member

Just my dick.

The rest of me us swole as fuck.

13. Blange89

Blange89 Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

:oops:

14. Sworder

Sworder Member

What is muscle dysmorphia for you?
    Because I probably have a different definition and I would estimate that 95% of Meso has it.

15. Sworder

Sworder Member

First of all, I want to say that labels are really bad however they can be useful to explain a phenomena or a compilation of properties pertaining to a person.
    Muscle dysmorphia to me has been something arbitrary in the past but what I think it refers to is the following.

I weigh 205 lbs. When I am in the gym lifting and I see another male(he weighs 190 let's say.) Now when I look at that guy, I think he looks bigger than I do. It is extremely difficult to keep an accurate self image of how muscular I am. I think that is what muscle dysmorphia describes. I am certain many of you guys have experienced the same thing.

Powerlifters and any [wo]man with muscle has probably experienced this. I think in the media and by certain professionals it is portrayed as people whom inject synthol..

16. notdeadYET

notdeadYET Member

The day you start lifting is the day your clothes become forever small.

But to answer the OP’s question, I think it’s age dependent. 20-30 is a rough age bracket, still trying to figure out who you are, comparing yourself to everyone. Do I look good enough? Am I making progress in my career fast enough? Am I successful?

Being in my 40’s - I’m just glad to be healthy, look good, have a full head of hair (sorry guys if that’s a sore subject). I can appreciate what I am, what I have, what I’ve accomplished AND appreciate some dude that has more than me, is bigger than me, etc.

17. I feel like I’m one of the most average gym goers. I don’t seem to be big compared to other people.

The reality of it is I’m pretty massive compared to 95% of people in the gym lol. I’m 6’3/4 around 225-230 12% body fat. Compared to others? Yeah I’m pretty big and have a sought after physique I guess? But In my own mind it’s pretty average at best at the moment.

I think when you put so much time and dedication into something regardless of what it is, you’ll always expect more of yourself. Which I feel is the case for myself. Am I obsessive? Yeah definitely. I revolve my life around getting into the gym and my diet. Does it hinder other aspects of my life? Not really at all from my perspective. It’s been an extremely positive influence to me.

Even when I hit my next goal, it’s just going to push me to want to better another part of me. I don’t think the cycle ever ends.

18. You have to understand the difference between wanting to be bigger... and thinking you're small.

I want to be bigger.

But at 6'1" 230 and fit.... I'm not small lol

19. Sworder

Sworder Member

I wanted to add to your message.

Every time we look ourselves in the mirror and see our own big muscles we desensitize ourselves. It makes perfect sense that we lose track of our own self image. This doesn't apply to just muscles, people whom are incredibly obese or skinny desensitize themselves and am sure their self image isn't in tune with reality either. Sames goes for somebody who thinks they look ugly when they are incredibly beautiful. It is the result of systemic self desensitization.

So basically you are asking a question that is fundamentally
    very logical to explain.