The Reason Donald Trump is Unfit for President

Discussion in 'Political Discourse' started by Millard Baker, May 5, 2011.

1. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

In case you were coming up empty, Dennis Prager (National Review0 has a reason: because he uses the F-bomb!

2. Michael Scally MD

Michael Scally MD Doctor of Medicine

After Roasting, Trump Reacts In Character
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/nyregion/after-roasting-trump-reacts-in-character.html?_r=1

[Trump really does not get it! He believes that people fear him and that is why they mock him. Trump, they are laughing at YOU. Even this poor man can see that.]

May 1, 2011
    By MICHAEL BARBARO

LAS VEGAS — He was savagely mocked by President Obama and the comedian Seth Meyers at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner — belittled as a political charlatan with an unchecked ego and a dead fox plastered on his head.

But the next morning, Donald J. Trump was not laughing. He was doing what seems to come more naturally: lashing out.

“Seth Meyers has no talent,” Mr. Trump said in an interview on Sunday. “He fell totally flat. In fact, I thought Seth’s delivery was so bad that he hurt himself.”

Mr. Trump, who appeared unsmiling throughout most of the annual dinner on Saturday night, acknowledged his occasional discomfort (“I am not looking to laugh along with my enemies”) but said he viewed the rough treatment as a measure of the fear he had struck in the Washington establishment. “It was like a roast of Donald Trump,” he said, clearly reveling in the attention, if not the content.

The Trump-centric dinner capped what could only be described as the Week of the Donald — a dizzying span in which the developer and reality television star drove the news (compelling the president to release his full birth certificate) and became the news (after delivering a profanity-laced speech in Las Vegas).

None of it, however, answered the central questions posed by his White House flirtation: Is it real or, like his hit series on NBC, a reality show? Even a comment Mr. Trump made to Bloomberg News on Sunday — that he had decided to run “in my mind” — created as much confusion as clarity. A top aide, Michael Cohen, said he could still change his mind and nothing was official.

During a lengthy conversation in his 61st-floor suite at the Trump International Hotel in Las Vegas, amid the Trump-branded room service menus and bottles of Trump Ice water, Mr. Trump provided ample fodder for supporters and skeptics — waxing about foreign policy and his TV ratings, displaying a detailed understanding of the political landscape and a curious insensitivity toward potential voters.

At one point, he compared his opposition to the legalization of same-sex marriage to his reluctance to use a new kind of putter.

“It’s like in golf,” he said. “A lot of people — I don’t want this to sound trivial — but a lot of people are switching to these really long putters, very unattractive,” said Mr. Trump, a Republican. “It’s weird. You see these great players with these really long putters, because they can’t sink three-footers anymore. And, I hate it. I am a traditionalist. I have so many fabulous friends who happen to be gay, but I am a traditionalist.”

He said that, should he run, he would offer himself as a “conservative with a big heart.”

To that end, he said, he would do nothing to curtail benefits for senior citizens, whom he called the “lifeblood of this country.” But he suggested that his biggest objection to Representative Paul D. Ryan’s deficit reduction plan — which has alarmed seniors on Medicaid — was not its substance but what he saw as poor strategy by Mr. Ryan, a Wisconsin Republican, in rolling it out.

“As a poker player, he shouldn’t have put forth such an early plan,” Mr. Trump said. “Anybody who touches Medicare,” he added, “is in tremendous trouble politically. We, the Republicans, have an election to win.”

Mr. Trump, who faces scrutiny from Republicans over his conservative credentials, said he no longer supported two proposals he put forth in 1999, when he last considered running for president: a one-time tax of 14.25 percent on the wealthiest Americans and a single-payer health care program.

“We had a much different country when I proposed those two things,” he said.

Mr. Trump spoke knowledgably — and harshly — about Mr. Obama’s health care overhaul and America’s trade policies with China. But at times he betrayed a lack of engagement closer to home, incorrectly stating that only one member of the New York City Council was a Republican. (There are five.)

Mr. Trump, 64, repeatedly found ways to weave the topic of his wealth, and its reach, into the conversation. “Look at that,” he interrupted, pointing to a giant white plane hovering outside the room’s windows. “That’s my plane. How beautiful is that?”

He also announced that he had just bought a Boeing 757 from Paul G. Allen, one of the founders of Microsoft, and was having it refitted to his specifications. “I was going to buy a 737,” he explained, “then I heard about this one.”

Yet Mr. Trump emphasized that he was ready to walk away from much of his life to mount a bid for the presidency.

Should he run, he said, he would relinquish control of his company to three of his children, Donald, Eric and Ivanka, who have worked with him for years. He said that his wife, Melania, 41 — who appeared briefly, bathrobe-clad, to say hello during the interview — had not only encouraged him to run but vowed to campaign with him. “She would be great,” he said.

Still, there are adjustments to be made. The obscenities in his Vegas speech drew criticism: Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, for example, said on Sunday that such language was not presidential. Mr. Trump said he had catered the speech to the largely working- and middle-class audience.

“It was a great crowd and great people,” he said. “But it was also a crowd that loves that kind of emphasis.

“Would I do it in a different location, would I do it in front of a different crowd, even a different crowd in Las Vegas? Uh, no.”

He said he “rarely” curses. But minutes later, he used a profanity to describe a political consultant who had offended him.

Mr. Trump, an admitted germophobe, conceded he did not relish the idea of shaking thousands of hands on the campaign trail, but said he had become more at ease with the practice.

“I still have a thing” about it, he acknowledged. “Shaking hands is proven to be a bad thing to do for our health.”

He recalled a fan walking out of a restroom at the “21” Club in Manhattan recently, approaching him with an outstretched hand. “Now, I have two choices,” Mr. Trump explained. “Don’t shake it, and here’s a man that for the rest of his life will hate Donald Trump. But I don’t want that. I have a heart. Or shake it. And you don’t know what you are shaking. And you know what I did?” he asked. I shook his hand. And then, I didn’t eat as well, because I didn’t know where his hand was. But I can tell you it wasn’t in a very good place.”

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  3. Michael Scally MD

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  4. Michael Scally MD

fired1.jpg

5. Michael Scally MD

6. GirlyMan

GirlyMan Member

7. Michael Scally MD

Indy Dumps The Donald. Will America Take The Hint?
    Indy Dumps The Donald. Will America Take The Hint? - Ken Honeywell - Open Salon

8. Michael Scally MD

Donald Trump Lets His Hair Down
    A conversation with the host of The Celebrity Apprentice
    Donald Trump Lets His Hair Down | Rolling Stone Culture

9. NamNet

NamNet Junior Member

10. tenpoundsleft

tenpoundsleft Member

Uplifting likes this.
  11. MindlessWork

MindlessWork Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

12. tenpoundsleft

tenpoundsleft Member

Liberals need to get history lessons - they tend to exist like gnats in an emotional bubble.

Winning? What are you on about? Definitely losing less - vs the mess in Germany, the UK, Nordics etc.

How about commenting on the tangible results of those immigration policies all liberals hated so much? They seem to work just fine.

Uplifting likes this.
  13. loveyourbody

loveyourbody Member

I respect your opinion sir. The thing a lot of us America do not seem to understand is that America is not that powerful to function on its own. Sure we have a powerful military but once it comes to anything else we are no where near first. We have no right to tell people that they can and cannot come to America. It is the land of the free. If we want to talk about the right to be here then all whites and blacks would need to leave. Native Americans and Native Hispanics were on this side of the world first.
    Sure history hasn't been the best. We learn from it. At the same time we need to work together. Imagine if we used those half of the $569,000,000,000 spent on the military on science, medicine, and research. We would make some amazing break throughs. Sadly we have people full of hate wasting our valuable resources to kill other humans... pathetic. You make me sick. I hope on day you have to go through what other people from other countries go through. Starvation, fear, and death. They are not coming to hurt you. All they want is a better future for their kids and family. Wouldn't you?

14. tenpoundsleft

tenpoundsleft Member

Wow - you epitomize all that is wrong with the current "liberal" definition.

You say that we "have no right to tell people that they can and cannot come to America" - are you insane? You don't even understand the preamble to the Constitution - here it is, as an FYI:

"
    We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Note how everything is about doing things for the USA.

You should stop living in the past - there are no unmixed Indians of any kind left in the US. Besides, the American Indians just came here from Asia - albeit a lot earlier, but still the same process, i.e. conquering and settling their way. Also, how cruel of you to want to force the Indians back to their old ways - because by and large, they were extremely primitive, even savage.

Ironically (but likely lost on you) if you "liberals" hadn't built up such a massive welfare state, it would have been easier to maintain open borders - because the moochers wouldn't come here. Alas, with the liberal all-intrusive government system in place, no wonder people want to come here for the free ride.

Read the article:
    For Muslim refugees in Mexico, community is hard to find

It is an AWESOME example of what is so desperately wrong with liberalism - although the author is totally unaware of her massive bias. The implied righteousness of her tone regarding the free lunch these economic migrants "ought" to get is fairly hilarious.

She stops short of actually condemning Mexico - because that would probably fry her little brain. But what she's essentially up in arms about is the fact that Mexico asserts it's RELIGION, it's VALUES, it's CULTURE, and doesn't hand out freebies. Imagine that! Those Mexico Mexicans must be RASSISS !!!!!

15. loveyourbody

loveyourbody Member

It's an opinion once again sir. Neither you or I are right. You are use to taking things by force and having things your way. I believe people should work for things. Did I ever state a free ride?
    I said that they should be able to come to the USA or anywhere they want if they want to be able to provide for their families and children. If they are committing crimes or just using the system then by all means kick them out. However, I think she should kick out anyone that doesn't pay their fair share of taxes. Also just so you know illegals pay taxes. The ones that avoid the tax fee is the corporations. Once again I never said people should get a free ride. My father came here from another country worked 2 full time jobs. Until they opened his first business 4 years later. Now he is retired and happy. Nothing wrong with that right? He worked, paid business tax, and employer tax. Just because he is not white they don't deserve to have these things? Why because you said so? It's called human. My mother is white by the before you say any stupid racial remark.

16. tenpoundsleft

tenpoundsleft Member

Huh - how did you manage to drag race into this? Oh wait, you're a L I B E R A L - it's always about race with you people.

"If they are committing crimes --- kick them out" - OK, we're on the same page then. If they're here illegally, let's kick them out.

You do realize corporations (aka employers) pay taxes? What you are complaining about is a result of liberal (and a good deal of RINO liberal support too) policies that FORCE large multi-national corporations to keep as much of their profits out of the USA as possible, to avoid the world's highest tax rates.

You should start to love your mind more - actually learn something.

Uplifting and Bundy55 like this.
  17. GigaloRob

GigaloRob Member

You are suggesting that a country has no right to limit or choose who comes to their country? Everyone that wants to come should be allowed to enter the USA? For one that's simply not sustainable from a numbers perspective. Secondly, most immigrants coming here are low wage barely educated people who simply lower the wages of American workers. You lost when me when you said anyone that wants a better life should be able to move anywhere they want without restrictions. The United States has a right to set borders and determine who legally may come here. Unfettered immigration would give the USA the same demise as Europe. No thank you.

Caizier, Spooby, Dr JIM and 4 others like this.
  18. loveyourbody

loveyourbody Member

it is no race my friend. Just like you I am just stating my opinion. Going to another country for a better future is not a crime. Coming in legally is a lot harder than people think. It can take 3-10 years to get a visa just to even visit.
    Yes I do my father owns a company so I know how much of a pain in the ass the taxes are. What are you talking about? I said I like taxes? My writing may not be the best but as far as my education goes working on my masters my friend .

19. loveyourbody

loveyourbody Member

i see where you are coming from. At the same time why is it when whites came to America they had every right to come here because of so called "GOD". Yet if any man of color or not European is kept out? No matter what it is a racial thing from what I have noticed. Once again it's an opinion. If I respect you alls why can't you respect mine? Just saying be more open minded. It's not so black and white.

20. GigaloRob

GigaloRob Member

Why are you inserting race? This is not a racial discussion considering not all immigrants are people of color. I don't mind your opinion but when you decide to throw race in the mix where it doesn't belong it changes the conversation.

Spooby likes this.