Thoughts on email providers

Discussion in 'Security, Privacy & Anonymity' started by allenpdx, Apr 1, 2014.

1. allenpdx

allenpdx Member

need to find a good email for secure communications.

2. beedix

beedix Member

Buy a domain name and host it on your own Linux box. Use pgp for messages. As secure as you can get and no monthly fees.

3. archiesquats

archiesquats Junior Member

Countermail

4. Burrr

Burrr Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

safemail.net

5. WMSuperSport

WMSuperSport Member

Ive read not to use safemail if you want to be safe

6. beedix

beedix Member

IMO, no email provider is really safe. PGP will keep the content of your mail safe (not the subject or recipient).

NSA will have you tapped at any mail service they want (especially those claiming to be super secure). I would really steer clear of any mail host that terrorists might use such as the ones claiming anonymous/safety.

7. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

What if terrorists are using the most effective anonymity/privacy tools available?

8. beedix

beedix Member

By all means, end to end technologies like pgp, tor, stenography, etc are tools that should be used if security is a concern. There is just no end to end secure email service....easily backdoored by our wonderful government. Disk less, no logs, etc is not protection given the tools and leverage that the NSA imposes.

Millard Baker likes this.
  9. sausages

sausages Junior Member

Yup, on and off shore servers. No thanks.

10. tacohuman

tacohuman Member

Safe-mail definitely dropped some of my emails. Shipping info in particular. I'm done using them after that.

11. Mike Oxbig

Mike Oxbig Member

I've personally had issues with Hushmail but this is the first I've heard of Safe-Mail deleting e-mails...

What specifically happened?

12. tacohuman

tacohuman Member

I made an order and never got any kind of e-mail from them. They did charge me though and I did get the package. The place I ordered from has an auto-response which I know from my first order through them which makes me think it's safe-mail.

13. Mike Oxbig

Mike Oxbig Member

I'm not sure I would definitively conclude that Safe-Mail intercepted your e-mail just because you didn't get an auto-response in your inbox...

You said e-mails as in plural, what were the other circumstances?

14. tacohuman

tacohuman Member

The payment confirmation and shipping email from the same place. I'm not thinking they were intercepted as much as just not delivered.

15. Unleashed

Unleashed Member

If I'm not mistaken United on PM had some security/safety issues. He used safe-mail. He doesn't anymore!

16. shenky

shenky Member

This is a good thread. Are there any other non pay secure email providers that I should consider?

17. write

write Member

well safe-mail is still safer than gmail ??

18. sausages

sausages Junior Member

Google a non-friendly state of the usa. Use that country email provider, but search to see where their servers are located at.

19. bigrobbie

bigrobbie Member

AnonymousSpeech.com or securenym.net

20. Transhuman

Transhuman Member

yeah, i don't think safe-mail is intercepting messages but clearly not all messages arrive at least when sent from anonymousspeech accounts. more like rejecting messages. getm has reported this problem and other anonymousspeech users have too: http://thinksteroids.com/forum/steroid-underground/ge-tm-labs-domestic-134352332-3.html#post1006898