Time Between Donation Till Blood Test

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by buck, Apr 1, 2010.

1. buck

buck Member

I am due for my semi-annual blood work for TRT. I usually donate blood before i go for my tests to keep the RBC etc down. Does any one know the minimum amount of time from the donation to the tests itself that it takes for your blood to be rehydrated etc. for the testing?

2. Crazy Crew

Crazy Crew Member

I had blood work done once 2 days after a donation and my Hemocrit and Hg still came back high so I will wait two weeks next time.

3. CubbieBlue

CubbieBlue Member

*serious question and I am just curious*

Why do you want to donate beforehand to lower your values? Wouldn't you rather see what they are so you can get an accurate picture of where you are at?

4. Crazy Crew

Crazy Crew Member

It just worked out that way for me the first time. But I also wonder how long it takes before the numbers will fall after a phlibotomy. And how long it takes before the numbers (RBC/Hg) rise above normal again.

5. Michael Scally MD

Michael Scally MD Doctor of Medicine

It is important to recognize that when donating blood it is whole blood (for most). This results in a loss of red blood cells but also blood volume. It takes a little time for the body to equilibrate after the donation. There are probably studies on this re-equilibration. I think waiting a week or more is probably a good suggestion. [Note: When someone is in an accident with massive blood loss there might not be a change in the hemoglobin/hematocrit from normal. However, after volume reloading the change becomes impressive.]

6. Ehud

Ehud Junior Member

I'm suprised no one was come up with a " Home,do it yourself kit". lol

7. buck

buck Member

My Hemocratic and RBC as well as Iron levels tend to run to the high side. So I like to bring down the values before hand so I don't have to listen to the Dr. tell me that he may have to stop my HRT till the numbers come down. And like many people I am in a hurry to take care of this so I can move along to the next task in life, Thanks all for the replies.