Turned Down For Blood Donation Today :(

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by jonkobeck, Jul 10, 2018.

1. jonkobeck

jonkobeck Member

Here the long story:

I inject 40MG every 4 Days:
    Been about 10 months since my last blood donation.
    I was without insurance for a while so didn't get my levels checked, and they have really been pretty much in line the last couple years so I put it off. Now that I have insurance again, I had a physical and just got the results today:
    Total T- 1050 2 days post injection (so right in the middle since I inject every 4 days)
    Hematocrit- 55
    Hemoglobin 18.1

My urologist hasn't seen these numbers yet, got it from the nurse.
    I went right to the blood bank near my job to drop a pint today. They did the finger prick and denied me. Said my hemoglobin was 18.7 and the max they will take is 18.5. Shit!
    I called the good ol Red Cross and they told me the max limit for hemoglobin they use is 20 - made an appt for tomorrow. Hopefully its under 20 when I go tomorrow. These portable finger prick machines don't seem to be 100% accurate.

I think I will lower my dose to 40mg every 5 days or 30mg every 4 days. Thats IF the doc doesn't make me come off T until the Hct lowers. I'm speaking with him tomorrow.

2. bluepush

bluepush Junior Member

Had that happen, and was able to reason with the staff that that was why I was there...to lower these stats. First donation center we full of idiots, second got me drained. Which reminds me, I'm due myself.

jonkobeck likes this.
  3. jonkobeck

jonkobeck Member

Wow Im surprised you got them to bend the rules. Here they don't bend, for nobody. Hopefully I will come in under 20 and it won't be an issue.

4. bluepush

bluepush Junior Member

Also, your best stats are in the morning, fully hydrated, no alcohol the evening before, not a single drop. Not even one beer, officer!

5. bluepush

bluepush Junior Member

I was over their norm where they had to consult a supervisor... Can't remember, but maybe 17 something or other, and no super on duty, go fig. Next morning went to the main branch and the super did my draw - good to go. Made sure no alcohol, empty stomach, no coffee or tea to be safe too. Also, I have a prescription for it.

jonkobeck likes this.
  6. Morefyah

Morefyah Member

Just out of curiosity what’s your diet like.
    Do you eat a lot of red meat?

bluepush likes this.
  7. jonkobeck

jonkobeck Member

Yes on the red meat, I also drink 1 quart of Carrot juice a day.

8. Morefyah

Morefyah Member

That’s 400 calories in carrot juice alone.
    God damn! No I was curious I am a vegetarian and was a vegan for seven years.
    I’ve been pretty reckless with my dosages while experimenting over the years. No matter what gear I run and no matter how high the dosage and duration my HCT is always low. I’m not exactly sure about the red meat thing but I know that eating dirty, and drinking can significantly raise HCT.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  9. jonkobeck

jonkobeck Member

**Update**
    I went to the Red Cross this morning and I was allowed to donate. My hemoglobin was 19.1 according to their handheld device (which I find hard to believe since last night it was 18.7)
    Felt wiped out for most of the day, feeling better tonight though. I haven't heard from my doc yet about my 55 crit. Hopefully he won't pull me off the T
    Just to be safe I am cutting the dose. Rather then the usual 40mg every 4 days I am reducing to 30mg.
    the 40mg every 4 days brings me up close to 1100 peak and about 750 at the low. Will try to see if we can lower the peaks to around 800.
    I really want to avoid blood donations as much as possible. I know I am going to have to do this again in 58 days since I let it go so long.