Type 1 diabetics

Discussion in 'Nutrition / Supplements Forum' started by Mhazelip, Apr 10, 2012.

Mhazelip

Mhazelip Junior Member

Looking to see if any type 1 diabetics are here and willing to share advice on cutting.

In short, I have been a diabetic for 25 years and never had unusual problems cutting pounds. Over the last four years I have been hitting a brick wall. I was diagnosed with low T 18 months ago (184) and have that corrected now. At the time I stupidly thought that was the main issue and once corrected I would be back to normal. Frustrated and thought another type 1 might have experienced something similar.

cvictorg

cvictorg Active Member

Tell us about your diet - how much insulin are you on - any other meds you take - what is your exercise routine like - how many days do you go to the gym - how much cardio do you do - are you on testosterone replacement therapy - if yes how much test do you take and how often do you inject - if you don't inject are you using a cream or pellet therapy - if not what are you doing for your low t - have you done any steroids in the past - if yes how many cycles and what have you taken

How old are you as well - height, weight - how often do you measure your blood sugar per day

Mhazelip

Mhazelip Junior Member

35 years old
    5'10"
    225 lb
    23% BF

Check my blood sugars on average 8 times a day. On an insulin pump and have been for 7 years using Apidra insulin. Over the past year HA1C has ranged from 5.8 to 6.3.

Current diet is 1800 calories with 30g of carb a day monday through Saturday and 100g on Sunday. Exercise routine is tue/thur/sun moderate cardio AM for 30 minutes. Tue/thur push split 45 min, wed/fri pull split 45 min during the afternoon. Tue/thur evening 30 min Intervals (sprints, battling ropes, bear crawls, boxing etc). Saturday AM and Sunday PM 2 hours of field work drills with a trainer.

I am on testopel for TRT.

Never done a cycle of steroids. The closest I have come is andro for 3 months in the 90s.

I am taking Symlin injections, phentermine, and vitamin D.

cvictorg

cvictorg Active Member

What does Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner look like on an average 30 carb day and on a 100 carb day?

Mhazelip

Mhazelip Junior Member

I will post this past Sunday (100g) and Monday (30g)

4 hard boiled eggs
    4oz ham
    Navel orange

Snack VPx zero carb 2 scoops

6oz lean bison
    1 cup green beans
    1 cup spinach
    Navel orange

1 cup diced boiled chicken breast
    4 cups spring mix salad
    1.5 cups broccoli

Monday

4 hard boiled eggs
    4oz ham
    1 cup spinach
    2 slices cheddar

6 oz lean bison
    1 cup spinach

1 salmon fillet
    2 cups chopped romaine lettuce

cvictorg

cvictorg Active Member

Losing weight on the Paleolithic Diet|A Sweet Life

The Paleolithic Diet: An Interview With A Type 1 Diabetic

Paleolithic Diet and Blood Sugar Sugar Control|A Sweet Life

Mhazelip

Mhazelip Junior Member

Thanks I will take a look at these links. I am neither a proponent or opponent of the paleo diet but have not seen any different results from it.

Mhazelip

Mhazelip Junior Member

I need to retract or at least alter my previous statement. It appears my diet p, while not exact, closely follows the paleo diet.

cvictorg

cvictorg Active Member

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
    cvictorg

cvictorg Active Member

Mhazelip

Mhazelip Junior Member

Any suggestions as to why following the diet and exercise program I have listed is not showing results? I prefer the lower carb since my blood sugars are easier to maintain.

Confused why I am not able to pull off pounds. Thought someone might have experienced something similar.

LW64

LW64 Active Member

Eliminate the 100 gm carbs on Sunday and keep your carb intake at or under 50 gm/day every day.

And INCREASE your fat intake.

Lean bison and chicken breasts are OUT.

Bacon is IN along with butter and fatty cuts of meat.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
    keriheat

keriheat Junior Member

A good book on this very subject and why ,is Dr Stephen Phinney's book 'The art and science of low carbohydrate living' It explains why this diet works and when it doesnt work, why. Amazon.com $7 Kindle download.

Mhazelip

Mhazelip Junior Member

I will try upping the fat and decreasing the carbs as suggested. Oddly enough, when I increase fats I also have to increase insulin dose similar to increasing carbs.

I will check out the book as well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

LW64

LW64 Active Member

Keep your protein intake at a moderate level, while increasing fat and restricting carbs. You want to be around 70% fat intake as calories. Less than that with too much protein and you wont lose weight and, yes, your BG can rise. The protein gets converted to glucose by the liver.

Read the book keri suggested before jumping in.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
    keriheat

keriheat Junior Member

The Dr Phinney book; He has a whole chapter devoted to 'Low Carb' and diabetes. He also spends a lot of time on 'Glucose Intolerance' This I believe would be important to you, since I assume, you're pancreas is not making insulin. BTW I am type 2 (no insulin injections)

© 1997–2015 MESO-Rx. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer.