Used car with lots of leg room under $20k?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Evom1, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Looking to get a new (used) car but have some requirements...

-2012 or newer (for ease of financing)
    -Need lots of leg room since I'm 6'3
    -Under $20k
    -Good gas mileage since I average 25k miles a year
    -Reliable
    -Still want something pretty good looking

Looked at an Accord ex-l, which is my top choice so far for comfort, reliability, cost and fuel mileage but I definitely could go for something with more leg room. I like the look of the Accords

2. ickyrica

ickyrica Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I'm am about to get a sedan so I don't have to drive the 496 all over the place. Looking at a 2011 Jaguar XF with the supercharger, 38000 miles going for 19k. On the fence though, its rear wheel and I'm in the north :confused:

3. Evom1

Evom1 Member

That would worry me a bit lol

ickyrica likes this.
  4. ickyrica

Oh yeah, you share my lovely new England forecast. Forgot about that.

5. Evom1

Evom1 Member

I was looking at a Cadillac ATS awd. 2014s look to be around 19k.

ickyrica likes this.
  6. ickyrica

How's the engine in them? I had a 2004 Deville and the heads were garbage after some time. Northstar engine issue with the head bolts, lousy issue to have.

Nice car though

7. Evom1

Evom1 Member

I'm doing research on their reliability now

Looking at the interior, that would be so nice for long drives

8. Beano223

Beano223 Member

Just got a Mazda CX-5 brand new they are 25k so used you can probably get for much less. It’s an amazing ride I’ve been very impressed. I’m also 6’3 so leg room was important

9. ickyrica

I have a friend with a small standard Mazda and he loves it. Can't remember what model though...

10. Beano223

Beano223 Member

I had a Mazda 6 that I put some money into to tune it up but I just got married and the wife wanted an suv since we are thinking of having a baby soon so I upgraded. I think I’ll always use Mazda for my family car and if they had trucks I’d use it for my work truck also but for now I use dodge

ickyrica likes this.
  11. Evom1

Evom1 Member

I had an older Mazda 6 and it was great except for blowing the transmission

Beano223 likes this.
  12. tenpoundsleft

tenpoundsleft Member

Join PenFed - best auto loan process and rates.

13. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Really? I'll have to look

14. tenpoundsleft

tenpoundsleft Member

By far the best - if you're not military, no worries, you just make a small contribution ($20?) to some PenFed fund and ta da, you're a member.

15. Evom1

Evom1 Member

I was just looking at that. $17 to join voices for American troops.

Can you elaborate a little on what makes them better than your average credit union? Also, do they need super high scores or is 700ish OK?

16. Deisel26

Deisel26 Member

Not really a Chevy guy but I bought my wife a 2016 impala 2lt v6 for 18k with 12,000 miles on it. I’m 6’3 and can’t let the seat all the way back

MFMC likes this.
  17. tenpoundsleft

tenpoundsleft Member

I've used them with 4 cars over close to 20 years. Low rates, slick and smooth paperwork process, great website, quick phone support, easy to deal with.

Only negative, and this is because of Fed regs, is that they take their sweet time to transfer funds btw other banks - because you'll probably need another bank, PenFed has next to zero branches in the state where I am.

18. Evom1

Evom1 Member

That's good to hear. How are they with making your payments? Pretty easy to do online?

19. tenpoundsleft

tenpoundsleft Member

Super slick, they are pros, really fast. I wouldn't use anyone else for my next car.

Evom1 likes this.
  20. Evom1

Evom1 Member

See I've thought about the impala. My hesitation is "reliable" and American cars don't really go together.

A Honda vs a Chevy, or a Toyota vs a Ford isn't very fair. But I think since Americans are fairly large, we make our cars bigger.
    Example... Dodge avenger I can completely stretch my legs out in. Would I trust it to go 150-200k miles without alot in repairs... No

Thank you very much for your help, I will sign up with them.