Vacuume filter and contamination time

Discussion in 'Steroid Homebrew' started by Kinezz, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Kinezz

Kinezz Junior Member

So guys normally when you filter thru the cup I wanted to make atleast 500mls this time and obviously don't have syringes that big I was wonder the minute I open the cup how much time will I have before It can contaminate or will it be fine for me to put the needle back in draw and put it in another bottle aslong as I'm not in a dirty environment can I just open it draw and twist the cap back to close it together and open it again everytime or just keep it open whole I'm filling up my bottles to get some more cheers fellas

2. Grandpa Gainz

Grandpa Gainz Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Order some Septa caps. It’s like the top of a vial. A rubber piece that u stick the needles thru and the bottle is sealed. I wouldn’t want my gear exposed to contamination! Good luck.
    Mediab supply has them. Like $8
    Good luck.

Monstar likes this.
  3. Monstar

Monstar Member

Septa caps are killer. In a pinch you can draw 10ml and fill a normal sterile vial then just use those until you need to replenish.

As an aside, you'll realize just how much 500ml is when you do this!

Grandpa Gainz likes this.
  4. Kinezz

Kinezz Junior Member

Was wondering though when I open the cup how much time will I have before It can contaminate cheers

5. Grandpa Gainz

Grandpa Gainz Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

There’s so many variables can’t really give a correct answer. When you take the bottle top off media bottle, have your septa cap set-up ready to install. So it should only be exposed to dust and other containment’s for a couple seconds. Which seems pretty safe imho....

6. Evom1

Evom1 Member

Literally could contaminate in seconds

master.on likes this.
  7. Kinezz

Kinezz Junior Member

So the little 22um filters are alot safer than vacuume I'm guessing

8. Monstar

Monstar Member

What is good about a syringe filter is that you go from sterile pin (with nonsterile solution at this point) through the sterilizing filter and directly into a sterile sealed vial. I like that control a lot.

Is it "a lot" safer...not really unless your room/environment sucks horribly but at the margin maybe a tad as it's a closed chain of sterility. That said it's a full on righteous pain in the ass too.

9. master.on

master.on Member

To be on the safe side
    buy or build a glovebox

For sterility, spray it with 70% alcohol or a commercial, medical sanitizing fluid
    allow to fully evaporate before use.