Vasectomy....?

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by Wunderpus, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Dr JIM

Dr JIM Member

As an aside folk should also know IME very few insurance companies will pay for a Vas reversal, artificial insemination or darn near anything having to do with the DX, EVALUATION or TREATMENT of INFERTILITY!

And if anyone believes the cost of AAS or even GH is "high" you aint seen nothing yet.

Adios

CuriousGeorge247 likes this.
  2. Wunderpus

Wunderpus Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Yes, he said my insurance will not be likely to cover it. So, I will be freezing 2 samples of sperm as a backup plan. Or, that may just BE the plan. My insurance is covering the initial procedure, though.

3. Mrhat39

Mrhat39 Member

Kids are not for everyone, but it's good to have the backup plan. I don't know very many people, that choose not to have kids, that later in life don't regret it.
    Especially those from 60 up, seem to be very lonely. That's a long time away, but it does role around. I never really planned on having any of the kids I got.
    Actually I was sick every single time my wife became pregnant. It just never seemed like a convenient time. But when my first wife died, in her mid 30s, I needed the kids... I have 4, we are a team. We would fight to the death for each other..
    Things change, and you know that. Make sure The Back-up Plan, is securely in place. You might meet the woman of your dreams one of these days, and her dreams might be having a child of her own....

Mrhat.

T-Bagger and Wunderpus like this.
  4. D-max

D-max Member

My mistake. I misread. I missed where you were citing the pregnancy rate for a reversed vasectomy. I was following along with you stating it wasn't an effective means of contraception. Once I looked for reversal percentages I found it in LESS than FIVE minutes as well.

5. CuriousGeorge247

CuriousGeorge247 Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

My ex pushed me to get a vasectomy. 75 dollor co pay for the procedure. (Cheap) she later got a hysterectomy. Then we got divorced. I feel like she screwed me over....

After divorce while dating women younger than my self, the desire to have children became a deal breaker. As in younger women often want children. I was no longer able to produce.

I was dating someone who made me rethink having kids. I was theoretically willing to have one more, maybe, for the right woman. I did some research at the time. Vasectomy reversal within the first 5 years are fairly successful. After that the success rate goes down. No procedure is guranteed. The cheapest I saw was for 5k, insurance will not pay for you to get a reversal..... but she called things off knowing that I probably didnt want more kids. I now have an amazing girlfriend that has no desire for more children. We both have plenty.

Just know, it will affect things going forward. If you are just dating, it doesnt really need to be mentioned as you are not looking for anything other than getting your needs met.

But once you decide you want a serious relationship, then it is something you will want to bring up as it could be a deal breaker for them. Being upfront will save you both time and heartache. More women than not want kids, it seals the deal as far as security in the relatonship. You limit your life partner possibilities once you are no longer able to pass on your genes at least early on. Once you are in you late 30's to 40's its probavly less an issue. That ship has sailed by then.

But then you are looking at women that have kids and have already been divorced and all the possible baggage. Or you might be lucky and find a smoking hot chick who doesnt want kids and has none. My 2 cents, for what its worth.

Dr JIM and Eman like this.
  6. BBC3

BBC3 Member

LIKE I ONCE SAID.. I had things WRONG and I am the first to admit. I once coined WOMEN as the "Cattle of society" as they are commonly unhealthily drugged for cancer and all to prevent procreation and in the name of LUST..

I later realized SHIT....! shit...! SHEEEIIIITTT>>>>! Well what the fuck does that make US..?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!???!!!!!!!!!! They just take a pill which they can wake up and stop. We get permanently MAIMED...!!!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

And it TAKES A COW TO RECOGNIZE ONE...!o_Oo_Oo_O:rolleyes::eek:

:D

7. BBC3

BBC3 Member

Kevin R. Loughlin, M.D., M.B.A., director of Urologic Research at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, says:

Concern that getting a vasectomy could lead to prostate cancer flared in 1993 when the Harvard Health Professionals Follow-up Study reported that men who had undergone vasectomies were about one-and-a-half times more likely to develop prostate cancer than men who had not had the operation. The study was careful and large, including 10,055 men who’d had vasectomies and 37,800 who had not. Still, many experts were skeptical, pointing out that there were only 300 newly diagnosed cases of prostate cancer in the entire group. Some also noted that men who had undergone vasectomy were more likely to be under the care of a urologist and undergo tests leading to the diagnosis of early, clinically silent prostate cancer.

(that's 150% MORE LIKELY - KEEP IN MIND they LIE with statistics)...

Large Study Finds No Link Between Vasectomy and Prostate Cancer Risk
    I have plans to make this my next PROJECT...^^^^^^^^^^ NO MERCY....... ANd I have not read WORD ONE...!!..!!!....!!!

if there is not proof enough out there to see. Then check this out. Did the FAKE NEWZ outlet just confirm the magnitude of the lies... LOL...
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwie_uORtOzRAhUN84MKHe5OAh0QFgguMAQ&url=http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/19/health/vasectomy-no-link-prostate-cancer/&usg=AFQjCNHdzomfw0QaGsdMTIW3Bqsh5HziUw&sig2=vR-gx_1MW9Q0XOyUK1Cwsw

NEXT............

WebMD Home [​IMG] Cancer Health Center [​IMG] Prostate Cancer Health Center [​IMG] Prostate Cancer News
    Print Article
    Prostate Cancer Health Center
    Tools & Resources
    Study Links Vasectomy to Aggressive Prostate Cancer
    But the finding doesn't prove cause-and-effect; urologists call for more research

WebMD News from HealthDay

This article is from the WebMD News Archive
    This content has not been reviewed within the past year and may not represent WebMD's most up-to-date information.

To find the most current information, please enter your topic of interest into our search box.

" style="background: rgb(223, 241, 248); color: rgb(24, 148, 204); cursor: pointer; display: inline-block; font-size: 16px; font-weight: bold; line-height: 16px; margin: 1em 0px; padding: 8px 35px 8px 8px; position: relative;">WebMD News Archive

By Robert Preidt

HealthDay Reporter

THURSDAY, July 10, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- Men who have a vasectomy may be at increased risk for aggressive prostate cancer, a new study suggests.

But the risk is comparatively small, the researchers acknowledged. And several urologists not involved with the study said more research is needed to determine if the study findings are truly accurate.

YEA??? Well take yer fuking time....! Fukin shitz.... BULLSHIT WORLD....!

8. Dr JIM

Dr JIM Member

Cancer?

And how was THAT defined?

I query the "evidence" as it can be quite difficult to differentiate dysplasia from anaplasia in those with "low grade" prostate cellular atypia, the latter being a large portion of those with "prostate CA".

The adage is accurate however bc it's now reasonably well established men are much more likely to die WITH P-CA than FROM it.

9. Dr JIM

Dr JIM Member

BBC I see Adderal has gotten the better part of you again.

Where is the LIE!

The authors conducted a study that revealed a Vas increased the incidence of prostatic CA, period.

To suggest they LIED implies a deliberate attempt to deceive others and that's exactly what you are doing by posting such garbage.

Instead, why not try critically reviewing each of these studies for design flaws and cite objective reasons why others should doubt the authors conclusions.

10. BBC3

BBC3 Member

"Lie" about facts - MAYBE

"lie" about Truths - POSSIBLY

"LIE" with STATISTICS - MOST DEFINITELY and the most popular game show today...

So WHAT..? It's OK to have PC as long as it don't kill ya>.?!?

Keep in mind 24 YEARS is a misnomer in that its just short of the curve when discussing real DIAGNOSIS IN POPULATION. SO HEY - These guys are what? 60 years old now and HOW MANY OF THEM LIKE THE MAGIC FINGER..!??!?!?! Unfortunately if remains an argument with NO DATA IN YET....

And there is no fucking telling what the parameters were to be qualified in this study..! BIG PHARMA CULLS THE CROWD LIKE KEANU REEVES PICKS A FUKIN JURY..!

Show me the full criteria for the subject qualifications...!!!!

Harvard appears to be the ONLY organization concerned with potential negatives...
    https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/p...-increase-risk-of-aggressive-prostate-cancer/

"For immediate release: Monday, July 7, 2014

Boston, MA — Vasectomy was associated with a small increased risk of prostate cancer, and a stronger risk for advanced or lethal prostate cancer, according to a new study from Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH). The researchers found that the association remained even among men who received regular PSA screening, suggesting the increased risk of lethal cancer cannot be explained by diagnostic bias. It is the largest and most comprehensive study to date to look at the link between vasectomy and prostate cancer.

The study appears online July 7, 2014 in Journal of Clinical Oncology.

“This study follows our initial publication on vasectomy and prostate cancer in 1993, with 19 additional years of follow-up and tenfold greater number of cases. The results support the hypothesis that vasectomy is associated with an increased risk of advanced or lethal prostate cancer,” said co-author Lorelei Mucci, associate professor of epidemiology at HSPH.

Vasectomy is a common form of contraception in the U.S., with about 15% of men having the procedure. Prostate cancer is the second-leading cause of cancer death among U.S. men, so identifying risk factors for lethal prostate cancer is important for public health.

The researchers analyzed data from 49,405 U.S. men in the Health Professionals Follow-up Study, who were followed for up to 24 years from 1986 to 2010. During that time, 6,023 cases of prostate cancer were diagnosed, including 811 lethal cases. One in four of the men in this study reported having a vasectomy.

The results showed a 10% increased risk of prostate cancer overall in men who had a vasectomy. Vasectomy was not significantly associated with risk of low-grade cancer. However, vasectomy was associated with a stronger risk of advanced and lethal prostate cancer, with an increased risk of 20% and 19% respectively. Among men who received regular PSA screening, the relative increase in risk of lethal prostate cancer was 56%. The effect appeared to be stronger among men who had a vasectomy at a younger age.

Prior work on this topic raised concerns that the positive associations could be linked to bias. However, in the present study, the researchers had access to diverse information and could rule out potential biases, including that men who have vasectomies may seek more medical care in general, that they may have a higher rates of PSA screening, or that the association was due possible confounding by sexually transmitted infections.

In this study, 16 in 1,000 men developed lethal prostate cancer during 24 years of follow-up. Although the relative increase in the risk associated with vasectomy was significant, this translates to a relatively small increase in absolute difference in the risk of lethal prostate cancer, say the researchers. “The decision to opt for a vasectomy as a form of birth control is a highly personal one and a man should discuss the risks and benefits with his physician,” said co-author Kathryn Wilson, research associate in the Department of Epidemiology at HSPH.

Support for the study was provided by Grants No. P01 CA055075, CA133891, CA141298, and UM1CA167552-01 and by Training Grant No. T32 CA09001 from the National Cancer Institute/National Institutes of Health.

“Vasectomy and risk of aggressive prostate cancer: a 24-year follow-up study,” Mohummad Minhaj Siddiqui, Kathryn M. Wilson, Mara M. Epstein, Jennifer R. Rider, Neil E. Martin, Meir J. Stampfer, Edward L. Giovannucci, Lorelei A. Mucci, Journal of Clinincal Oncology, DOI: 10.1200/JCO 2013.54.8446, July 7, 2014

For more information:

Todd Datz
    tdatz@hsph.harvard.edu

photo: iStockphoto.com

###

Harvard School of Public Health brings together dedicated experts from many disciplines to educate new generations of global health leaders and produce powerful ideas that improve the lives and health of people everywhere. As a community of leading scientists, educators, and students, we work together to take innovative ideas from the laboratory to people’s lives—not only making scientific breakthroughs, but also working to change individual behaviors, public policies, and health care practices. Each year, more than 400 faculty members at HSPH teach 1,000-plus full-time students from around the world and train thousands more through online and executive education courses. Founded in 1913 as the Harvard-MIT School of Health Officers, the School is recognized as America’s oldest professional training program in public health."

11. Michael Scally MD

Michael Scally MD Doctor of Medicine

Husby A, Wohlfahrt J, Melbye M. Vasectomy and prostate cancer risk: a 38-year nationwide cohort study. JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute 2019. Vasectomy and prostate cancer risk: a 38-year nationwide cohort study

A man’s risk of prostate cancer has been linked to his prior reproductive history, with low sperm quality, low ejaculation frequency, and a low number of offspring being associated with increased prostate cancer risk. It is however highly controversial whether vasectomy, a common sterilization procedure for men, influences prostate cancer risk.

We established a cohort of all Danish men (born from 1937) and linked information on vasectomy, doctor visits, socioeconomic factors and cancer from nationwide registries using unique personal identification numbers. Incidence risk ratios for prostate cancer by time since vasectomy and age at vasectomy during the follow-up were estimated using log-linear Poisson regression.

Overall, 26,238 cases of prostate cancer occurred among 2,150,162 Danish men during 53.4 million person-years of follow-up. Overall, vasectomized men had an increased risk of prostate cancer compared with non-vasectomized men (relative risk 1.15; 95% CI, 1.10 to 1.20). The increased risk of prostate cancer following vasectomy persisted for at least 30 years after the procedure and was observed regardless of age at vasectomy and cancer stage at diagnosis. Adjustment for the number of visits to doctor and socioeconomic factors did not explain the association.

Vasectomy is associated with a statistically significant increased long-term risk of prostate cancer. The absolute increased risk following vasectomy is nevertheless small, but our finding supports a relationship between reproductive factors and prostate cancer risk.

12. Michael Scally MD

Michael Scally MD Doctor of Medicine

[OA] Is vasectomy a cause of prostate cancer?

Using a nationwide study of 2.1 million Danish men, Husby et al report the latest epidemiological finding on vasectomy and prostate cancer in this issue of the Journal. Men who underwent vasectomy had a 15% higher risk of prostate cancer overall (95% CI = 1.10-1.20), with similar associations for advanced and nonadvanced stage cancers. The study is notable in its size, including 26,238 cases (2,137 exposed) and use of cancer registries for long-term follow-up and complete case ascertainment.

This report will likely continue the debate on whether the association observed in this and other well-conducted studies supports a causal association between vasectomy and prostate cancer, or whether alternate explanations underlie the increased risk.

So where do we stand?

It is an unsatisfying answer, but it remains unclear whether vasectomy is or is not a cause of prostate cancer. In PSA-era studies of prostate cancer overall, where cancers diagnosed are primarily localized, we have lower confidence that the observed risk is causal. In the Danish study, where one-third of cases were advanced, the interpretation of overall prostate cancer differs, although one cannot fully rule out that greater screening or diagnosis underlies that positive association.

What seems less clear is whether vasectomy is causally associated with advanced prostate cancer. Although some well-designed, prospective studies have not observed associations, the HPFS analysis within the highly screened population illustrates the possibility that insufficient adjustment for screening intensity could underestimate an association of vasectomy with more clinically-relevant cancer.

What could address this outstanding issue is a pooled analysis of prospective studies, with a large number of advanced/lethal cancers and an analysis stratified by screening intensity. This feasible approach would provide for greater interpretability and validity of findings with enhanced power.

An important consideration is the ultimate public health impact of a causal association. 500,000 U.S. men undergo vasectomy annually. Given the possible effect size, the absolute number of men at risk of lethal prostate cancer due to vasectomy is likely small. Its study, however, may shed light on mechanisms underlying cancer pathogenesis. A man's decision to undergo vasectomy should be decided based on the totality of evidence and consideration of benefits and possible risks.

Mucci LA, Wilson KM, Preston MA, Giovannucci EL. Is vasectomy a cause of prostate cancer? JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute 2019. Is vasectomy a cause of prostate cancer?