Vietnam

Discussion in 'Political Discourse' started by Michael Scally MD, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Michael Scally MD

Michael Scally MD Doctor of Medicine

Vietnam: The War That Killed Trust
    http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/07/opinion/sunday/vietnam-the-war-that-killed-trust.html

The legacy of the war still shapes America, even if most of us are too young to remember it.

In the early spring of 1967, I was in the middle of a heated 2 a.m. hallway discussion with fellow students at Yale about the Vietnam War. I was from a small town in Oregon, and I had already joined the Marine Corps Reserve. My friends were mostly from East Coast prep schools. One said that Lyndon B. Johnson was lying to us about the war. I blurted out, “But … but an American president wouldn’t lie to Americans!” They all burst out laughing.

When I told that story to my children, they all burst out laughing, too. Of course presidents lie. All politicians lie. God, Dad, what planet are you from?

Before the Vietnam War, most Americans were like me. After the Vietnam War, most Americans are like my children.

America didn’t just lose the war, and the lives of 58,000 young men and women; Vietnam changed us as a country. In many ways, for the worse: It made us cynical and distrustful of our institutions, especially of government. For many people, it eroded the notion, once nearly universal, that part of being an American was serving your country.

2. Michael Scally MD

Vietnam: A Television History (Part 1) - Roots of a War (1945-1953)

Part 1: “Roots of a War” (1945–1953) -- The initial episode deals with the history of Vietnam up to 1954. By 1885 the French were in control of Indochina and over the next 20 years or so pacified the population. Central to the 20th century history of Vietnam is Ho Chi Minh. Ho moved to Paris in 1917 and joined the Communist Party in 1920. He began formal training in 1923. Imperial Japan landed forces in Vietnam after France capitulated to the Germans in June 1940 and he founded the Viet Minh in 1941 which was both anti-French and anti-Japanese. The US actually trained the Viet Minh for the war against the Japanese but with their sudden defeat in 1945, Ho declared independence. The French returned in March 1946 for a limited period but the country is soon divided into North and South. The war begins leading to a Vietnamese victory at the epic 55-day Battle of Dien Bien Phu in early 1954. The subsequent Geneva Accords of July 1954 called for a reunification election in two years.

3. kawilt

kawilt Member

Interesting....I'm looking forward to the the other parts... But they have already left out a bit of important history that would give you a clearer insight into the motivations and actions of Ho Chi Min. So far though it's pretty good...with a little damage control.

4. Michael Scally MD

5. Big_paul

Big_paul Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

One thing our government learned from the Vietnam war was to end the draft. If Americans were drafted to fight in Iraq we would have seen the same protests we did in in the 60's and early 70's. When your 18 year old son is drafted to fight a war that many disagree with that is what brings people out on the street in protest.

There were many more casualties in Vietnam than in today's conflicts. The United States would not stand for 59,000 dead and 250,000 wounded today. Not for that shit hole of a country.

Michael Scally MD likes this.
  6. kawilt

kawilt Member

BP...Your government did not "learn" a damn thing from Vietnam.

7. Big_paul

Big_paul Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Has anyone been drafted since? We are going on 15years since we went to war in the middle east. That is only possible because there is no draft. Now we have trump spouting off about taking the oil, and considering a ground war.

8. XKawN

XKawN Member

Wait.... all politicians lie? All presidents lie? I thought it was just trump and Kelley Ann Conway.

9. kawilt

kawilt Member

Yea...what a bummer...:D

10. kawilt

kawilt Member

just heard a very emotional interview with 1st Lt. Homer Steedly 4th infantry U.S Army. Vietnam 1969, Shot and killed a North Vietamese Medic named Dom . He returned to Nam in 2008 to visit the family and help find the remains of Dom's body for burial... Eye opener for some of you......

11. Bumaga

Bumaga Member

Born in 67. Grandpa said dont believe what you hear and half of what you see. Personally know Vets from this war. They got screwed by their own neighbors upon returning home.

Our government has the unreal task of trying to do a job that in itself is impossible. I do not agree with so much of what they do and even less of what they set into law. However I am not privy to all that is at stake or the game that is being played. Because its all a fucking game. We lead the world plain and simple and as humans we make mistakes. Bad ones. But truly what would we have them do? Such a global predicament at this time in history the whole world is in play. Just hope the world leaders have grandchildren and spend time with them.