Vince Gironda 8x8 program

Discussion in 'Bodybuilding Forum' started by Demondosage, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Demondosage

Demondosage Member

Anyone ever try this routine? I'm going to tell you it's pretty humbling and effective at the same time.

I'm trying to work around a tendon issue in my tricep and awaiting another PRP injection near my elbow joint, in the meantime I was looking for a way to train lighter and still have some intensity in the workouts.

Stumbled across this routine, absolutely love it!! It's basically starting with only 40% of what you'd normally do 8 reps with, everything is a minimum of 8 sets of 8 reps and real brief rest, maybe 20-30 seconds between sets.

I cut the workout at no more than 45 minutes and those 45 minutes are intense. No talking, no playing with my phone, no time for that shit, all business. It's different but just thought to throw it out there

2. ErikR

ErikR Member

How are you splitting up your days? I believe you can split it however you want. It's super high volume.

3. Xlgx

Xlgx Member

I’d figure his 6x6 program would be more doable :)

4. Demondosage

Demondosage Member

Recovery is quick from it so I go day 1-chest and back, day 2-shoulders and arms, day 3-legs , then repeat that if I feel recovered and if I feel I need a day inbetween I'll rest a day and begin the 3 day cycle over. I've found that usually each body part gets 3 different exercises , I don't worry about which 3 they really are, more concerned with just pumps and brief rest phases

Morefyah and ErikR like this.
  5. Wunderpus

Wunderpus Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Sounds sort of like DoggCrapp training... You ever tried that? The structure is similar, however it's heavier weights... I know you used to use a lot of Dorian-style techniques, DC training is similar however throws in more intensity IMO.... I have been playing around with it, seems like there's something to it.

6. Demondosage

Demondosage Member

I was partial to heavier training until injury. I just cannot train as heavy right now and have to resort to providing intensity elsewhere. Yes, I'm definitely partial to HIT but I also know that we cannot do it forever without falling apart. Even Dorian eventually fell apart and admits that if he knew when to back off he would be able to train more nowadays. I still love HIT but I think the time and place for it becomes more limited with age and years in the gym

Just1more and Wunderpus like this.
  7. Wunderpus

100%... I think in an athlete's earlier years they should try to train HIT style... That'll pack on the most solid mass IMO... Then, as their joints, tendons, etc. age, transition into more "pump" exercises to maintain and condition that mature and solid muscle.

IMO NOTHING builds SOLID muscle like heavy weight with maximal time under tension, using safe form... All the "freaks" we see doing higher rep routines are doing those higher reps with heavy weight...

8. Wunderpus

Why haven't you ever played around with John Meadows programs? I think you'd really enjoy his attention to detail and injury prevention that he focuses on in his programs...

9. Demondosage

Demondosage Member

I have, he's probably my favorite guy in the industry

10. anfee

anfee Member

GVT 10x10 on squats will get you breathing heavier than anything I’ve ever done. Start LIGHT.

Pretty much can only do this style of training once a week for lower body. It will kick your ass in the days to come if you aren’t regularly stretching.

11. Demondosage

Demondosage Member

I got great gains from GVT the first couple times I did it, first time I actually gained 12 lbs with nothing but food

anfee likes this.
  12. anfee

anfee Member

It’s tough as shit. 10x10 on squats will fire up your lower back!

Sets 1-5/6 always feel like I used too low of a weight. Then set 7/8 makes be breathe fuckin hard and wish I had chosen just 10lbs lighter.

Sets 9 and 10 are all about mental dexterity. Lol

That’s just my experience.

MisterSuperGod likes this.
  13. Demondosage

Demondosage Member

I don't think I would ever get to the 10 reps with all sets. It seems like once set 7 hits the reps started going down a bit. Very challenging workout indeed!!!

14. I tried GvT once. It made me feel like a little bitch.

anfee likes this.
  15. anfee

anfee Member

I did it for squats mainly. Got to 245 for 10x10.

My record was 13 sets of 10 with 225. I just wanted to see how many sets I could do. I lived that day.

16. Karma10

Karma10 Junior Member

That is insane, I love the idea of high volume with one compound exercise. I started heavy today on squats with 6 sets of 5 followed by 4 sets of 10 with a lighter weight