Watchout for supplement companies!

Discussion in 'Nutrition / Supplements Forum' started by luex, Apr 4, 2018.

1. luex

luex Member

I'm sure this is old news for most of you...but for some of you who don't really look into the protein you take etc...you really should start. I suggest weighing it all out instead of using their "scoop" they add in there. I just recently weighed my protein powder- serving size was 34g per scoop...I padded down the protein into the scooper- something most people don't do...and it still came out to be 26g....thats 8g you're missing out on! These companies are finding many ways to be sneaky and put in fillers/mislabel serving sizes. Be on the look out for all of this! You may think you're getting 23g of protein in that one scoop, but in actuality its somewhere more near 15g....It may not seem like a big deal to some of you, but if you're tracking your macros this could potentially put you far below what you think your protein intake is..

Apexvallen, IdenIzzar and Kakarot like this.
  2. Kakarot

Kakarot Member

Best solution is to get majority if not all your nutrition from actual food. Having said this I woke up too late to make breakfast so I had a shake:oops: but that's extremely rare for me.

3. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

I don't understand the logic of a supplement company using a smaller scoop than advertised serving size. They lose money as a result!

Why would they want consumers to unknowingly use less product? This will make the product last longer. The consumer won't purchase product as frequently.

If anything, the supplement would include a scoop that is too large. Anything to make consumer use more product and not less.

msl3862, Logan44551, Kakarot and 7 others like this.
  4. tenpoundsleft

tenpoundsleft Member

Yes - agree - overconsumption would be encouraged.

Although, as long as the container has as much content (weight) as stated, and no shenanigans (fillers etc) then the consumer eventually will get all of it - nobody is being gypped.

@luex Good point about weighing the scoop though - never hurts to have a reference.

Millard Baker likes this.
  5. luex

luex Member

Totally agree...not sure why the scoop isn’t up to par with the grams it should include in it..just simply letting everyone know you might not be getting as much as you think or you may be getting too much as @Millard Baker explained in the scoop actually being larger than the serving size...that’s why I believe it’s always best to weigh stuff out.

That is an interesting concept though @Millard Baker you definitely thought of it in a way that I haven’t being the serving scoop could actually be larger than the serving size at times to promote faster consumption...I will contact this company and keep you guys up to date on the resolution..IF there is one.

The only thing that would come to mind is they could say their product has more servings- counted by scoops/34g- than their competitors..although the gram/scoop ratio doesn’t weigh out so not sure if that would make sense.

msl3862, Kakarot and Millard Baker like this.
  6. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

Are you comparing the weight of the powder contained in one scoop to the grams of protein in a serving???

7. luex

luex Member

The serving size says 34g which it says is equal to one scoop. The one scoop only held 26g grams when patted down firmly inside the scooper. @Docd187123

8. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

Company could have assumed "rounded" scoop.

Xlgx likes this.
  9. luex

luex Member

A26FE03B-D4CA-4EC5-A27D-B98A0DE7B9BC.jpeg

10. Endure

Endure Junior Member

I always weigh preworkouts and powders. There's too much room for error. Some companies say "rounded scoop" or "heaping" it's all over the place so better to just check yourself.

11. Morefyah

Morefyah Member

Kakarot, Hendred and Millard Baker like this.
  12. Gbro

Gbro Member

If I'm on a srict diet, I weigh protein powder just like chicken or steak. I want to make sure I'm getting the right amount. I never weigh pre-workout.

13. tenpoundsleft

tenpoundsleft Member

More than worrying about the QUANTITY let's focus on the QUALITY

It is shocking how much CRAP is put into protein powders, protein bars and other supplements. I really encourage all to study the labels and stay away from brands that put corn syrup, petrochemical products and other irrelevant ingredients in their products.

14. Endure

Endure Junior Member

15. luex

luex Member

@Morefyah OCD maybe but it does make a difference in my opinion...especially say you’re cutting calories and just like Millard’s example the scooper is bigger than the serving size that could put you over your calories. Don’t you think the pros are OCD about their consumption? Not knocking you for your opinion but a little adds up over time just like consistently training adds up to give you the body you’d want. Quality of course definitely matters as well! Just sharing my 2 cents with you guys cause I had never weighed my protein prior to finding this out because I just assumed the scoopers were on point.

tenpoundsleft likes this.
  16. Morefyah

Morefyah Member

I take 600-800mg of caffeine ed on or off cycle.

17. Morefyah

Morefyah Member

Lol, Still OCD homie. Unless you have blood pressure issues or your an aspiring PRO it doesn’t mean shit!

18. Docd187123

Docd187123 Member

If the incorrect amount of protein is putting you over your calories during a cut you and you’re not losing weight, then you simply cut back your calories more.

19. Oldman.

Oldman. Member

Last order of egg white protein I ordered 15lbs. It only weighed 14.1 lbs in the bags...... not using Walmart online store again.

20. Xlgx

Xlgx Member

Stick to high quality tried and true brands. Especially

Truenutrition

2nd favorite. MuscleFeast.

luex and tenpoundsleft like this.