What are normal Estrogen and Testosterone levels?

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by coolcat20, Aug 11, 2011.

coolcat20

coolcat20 Member

Im suffering the symptoms of low testosterone at age 19

Ive had 2 blood tests, one in the morning, one in the evening.

The morning test came back at 500 (witch the GP said is normal)
    The evening came back at 280 (witch the GP said is normal)

They also tested my Estrogen in the evening test and it came back as 150 (..."normal")
    3 Years ago i had surgery for Grade 3 bilateral gynecomastia and my Estrogen levels were 250+! and the doctor described this as slightly over the normal range

Does anyone know how high/low my Estrogen and Test levels should be at my age?

i cant live like this anymore.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
    heavyiron

heavyiron Member

Was there any letters after the estrogen numbers? Various labs use different nomenclature and different reference ranges so its important to know this before answering your questions.

coolcat20

coolcat20 Member

I'm not sure. My GP just said they are normal and when i asked for the numbers he gave me them, but with no measurements.

heavyiron

heavyiron Member

500ng/dl Total T is good for your age. Anything lower is not ideal.

I like to see guys below 50pg/ml Estradiol.

coolcat20

coolcat20 Member

Poor libido (Low sexual desire)
    Fatigue (medical) always tired
    Muscle loss/atrophy
    erectile dysfunction
    Increasing abdominal fat
    Poor sleep
    Difficulty concentrating
    Memory Loss-difficulty in choosing words in language
    Shyness
    Depression
    Anxiety
    Psychological and relationship problems
    gynecomastia
    Irritability
    Shrinking of the testicles
    Frequent urination (polyuria) without infection; waking at night to urinate
    Achy muscles
    Night sweats
    Erectile dysfunction

^ The Symptoms i have!

coolcat20

coolcat20 Member

ok thanks

quenca333

quenca333 Junior Member

What about optimal DHT:Estrogen levels, does anyone have a clue?

coolcat20

coolcat20 Member

i am so worried

DragonRider

DragonRider Junior Member

Your test looks okay if it is measured as ng/dL, but your estrogen looks way over. First, your bloodwork and all medical tests are your property. You have the right to ask for copies and you need to do that.

Second, another option would be to have your estrogen level tested yourself. You can schedule it here.

Private MD - Buy Lab Tests Online

Males need the "sensitive" test. Many doctors run the same test as they would for a female and it is not accurate for males. IIRC the range for this test is something like 10 to 50pg/dL.

Most males function best between 15 to 25pg. Over or under that range, many males will experience ED.

hardasnails1973

hardasnails1973 Active Member

Its all relative ...

KTMguy

KTMguy Junior Member

My limited understanding is that E should really be a ratio of T. I've heard the ratios tossed around as between 25-30:1

So for instance, at a T level of 500 a good E range would be between 17 & 20 or thereabouts.

On the other hand, if you maintain T levels of closer to 1000 an ideal E range might be more like 34 -40. This is just a formula that I heard in passing and I'd like some other opinions on it.

The numbers that the OP tossed out would suggest to me a very borderline low/ normal T number for a 19 year old, w/ E levels being absolutely sky high. If the units are correct, and the assay was the male sensitivy one, then the OP needs to be on an anti-E ASAP. His gynomastia would suggest that indeed his E is unusually high.

OP, do you have any female physical characteristics like slightly wide hips, slightly narrow shoulders, little body hair, high voice, emotional sensativity?

Good Luck.

quenca333

quenca333 Junior Member

makes a lot more sense if you consider androgens:estrogen ratio

zkt

zkt Member

It is not abnormal for T to vary by more than 100% during a day.

BBC3

BBC3 Well-Known Member

You can reference some of my out of site rants over the last two months where I address these concerns - and the fact the medical science may not be all that hip, or at least we are not...

First I would like to point out that testosterone turns in to both androgens and estrogens. It really doesn't mean shit till it metabolizes to one of these.

Second, it is you genetic propensity which is defining what you are becomming, or are... HOWEVER, there is some chicken and egg to the argument. You have not given any stats so with that considered.... A lot of times body fat can lead to excess estrogen generation, so excess fat contributes to a condition favorable to gyno development. You may not be fat at all and just inclined to develop gyno. Its just that simple. So if you are fat, or allowing yourself to be in some sort of condition (by genetic propensity) that MAY be controlable, then you have that to work on..

If the other then you may not be so fortunate. I further even suspect that breast tissue development feeds increased rates of estrogen aromatization within its self. Meaning, the more breast tissue you have developed, the more estrogen you will make at that area - and at faster rates than say body fat alone. THAT IS SPECULATION.

IF YOU HAVE GYNO THE LAST THING IN THE WORLD YOU NEED IS TESTOSTERONE... Further, I suspect that efforts to controll with SERMS and AI's are quickly circumvented by the body, and success there will be limited, if not detrimental due to the other effects of these drugs. The best thing to do would be to find a good doc that would send you to an endo to evaluate further, make sure you dont have any physical anomalies (pituitary tumors, thyroid, testicular injury, or just general malfunction resulting from disease. If healthy then work on body fat.

Finally I have come to suspect that the best remedy for gyno may be to attack it with androgens. The best way to do that is to build a solid pectoral infrastructure thus putting the androgens right on the fire... Supprisingly, this has seemed to work wonders for me, and with not too much work. But that is me. You may have not worked out before to develop chest muscle. This will take work if not. The undisputable fact is that you wont see many guys with considerable chest development also sporting a great amount of gyno at the same time. Granted it may be more difficult to see. But the bottom line is that those with heavy gyno dont have a bunch of muscle. There has to be a corrolation.

The answer could be as simply is that genetically those with gyno are inclined to have significant testosterone based activity in the chest area. So in short I am offering that perhaps these folks are gonna spend testosterone in the chest area, ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.. And that those that developed gyno in puberty could have avoided it simply by working their chest out and developing the muscle to intended genetic proportions. And that because they did not, it still acted on the chest area, but as the other alternative -estrogen. Really, think about it, cause all I see in my head when I think of a puberty based gyno scenario, is a guy with no chest. So just some food for POSITIVE THOUGHT. And IF you think you have worked your chest out, and you have not spent 2 or 3 days a week bustin your ass with a spot for a min of 2-3 years solid, you have not given it a try...

KTMguy

KTMguy Junior Member

Well I'm an example of that being completely wrong. I was a well developed muscular child and at about 15 I developed gyno. Dr. said "you are producing tremendous testosterone and a certain amount of it naturally converts to Estrogen and as your Test rises, so does your E. It will go away when your T levels normalize a bit." And he was right, it did go away to never return.

What I see from the OP is low T AND high E suggesting that excess conversion is not what is occurring. I just disagree w/ your theory in general.

BBC3

BBC3 Well-Known Member

I was only offering speculation based on some observation. Your case would be an example of what I was saying to some degree regardless. gyno NEVER goes away. The excess hormones may, but the gyno will remain. SO ARE YOU SAYING THE GYNO WENT AWAY, OR THE EXCESS HORMONES went away?? If you are saying the gyno went away, I dont disagree, and in fact this would be the example of the androgens associated with the chest muscle positively impacting the gyno long term (IMO). Whether or not your gyno truely went away, or just subsided only now to be overshadowed by pectoral muscle would still be to question. Minor gyno becomes almost invisisble once no longer actively fed. I have no doubt that gyno might just "die off" completely with years of no hormonal support. But from what I have read, you would def. be an exception for puberty based gynos. Walking around and looking, you really dont see too many of them. Take a look around. Kids with gyno are about 1-500 to 1-1000 I speculate. They are usually poor in athletic skill and undertrained. Just an obervation. So you would kind of apply to the op if he falls there, as good motivation to train to help alleviate it. Like I said its only my hypothesis and conjecture. It can hurt and seems the obvious natural solution...:)

coolcat20

coolcat20 Member

Slightly wide hips yes, no problems with the voice and i have a lot of body hair actualy. Yes i am very emotionally sensitive.

Also in relation to the other replies, i actualy stated in my post that i had the gyno operated on, so i no longer have it, the glands were removed.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
    coolcat20

coolcat20 Member

also, to add to my original post i am 6 ft about 200lbs and here are the symptoms i have:

erectile dysfunction
    Poor libido (Low sexual desire)
    Fatigue (medical) always tired
    Muscle loss/atrophy
    Erectile Dysfunction
    Increasing abdominal fat
    Poor sleep
    Difficulty concentrating
    Memory Loss-difficulty in choosing words in language
    Shyness
    Depression
    Anxiety
    Psychological and relationship problems
    Ive had Grade 3 bilateral gynecomastia (Had Surgery at 17)
    Irritability
    Frequent urination (polyuria) without infection; waking at night to urinate
    Achy muscles
    Night sweats

Nemesis RR

Nemesis RR Member

Really? Not doubting you but I would like to read a reference.

DragonRider

DragonRider Junior Member

© 1997–2015 MESO-Rx. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer.