What is the correlation between testosterone and dopamine?

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by m_ob, Sep 24, 2010.

m_ob

m_ob Active Member

Tyler81

Tyler81 Active Member

Not sure exactly but i think it's a direct relationship.

ie. when you raise dopamine you raise testosterone. i think it's related to prolactin.

There are certain activities that raise both like working out with heavy weights- squats and back rows for example. I believe there is a release of both dopamine and testosterone.

I know that SSRi's lower dopamine (in some way) and also lower testosterone levels.

So i think it's a direct relationship in that, you raise one you raise the other. You lower one, you lower the other.

The one exception might be alcohol because i think it raises dopamine, but lowers testosterone.

Tyler81

Tyler81 Active Member

Alcohol and Dopamine:

Alcohol is known to initially lead to an increase in dopamine release, which supposedly enhances reward/pleasure. However, chronic and/or high levels of alcohol will eventually lead to a decrease in dopamine release.

(i can attest to the fact that alcohol does increase dopamine in some way because my libido would go up considerably after a few drinks. this was before any trt treatment. i initially thought it was because i was more relaxed, but now i think it's dopamine related)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
    mrmorris likes this.
    Crazy Crew

Crazy Crew Member

One could argue the same is true for testosterone supplement. Initially, most who first start dosing test fell the "high" until your endocrine system adjusts.

mrmorris likes this.
    m_ob

m_ob Active Member

so could it be possible that testosterone increases dopamine ( higher test higher dopamine levels), but higher levels of test increase estrogen to such levels that the dopamine increase can not make up for the prolactin increase do to estrogen increase...but testosterone increase without estrogen increase decreases prolactin via the dopminergic route?

this stament is coherent?

mrmorris likes this.
    CubbieBlue

CubbieBlue Active Member

No.

mrmorris likes this.
    m_ob

m_ob Active Member

Short and to the point lol, I like that.

mrmorris likes this.
    m_ob

m_ob Active Member

Kwirion

Kwirion Member

Looks like very interesting hypothesis.. But I think this has more to do with testosterone metabolites:
    DHT - affect CNS
    estradiol works as MAOI - enhances neurotransmitters influence

High estradiol can elevate prolactin.

It's interesting if DHT can lower estradiol, prolactin and increase dopamine..?

mrmorris likes this.
    Tyler81

Tyler81 Active Member

What? :confused:

Michael Scally MD

Michael Scally MD Doctor of Medicine

Campbell BC, Dreber A, Apicella CL, et al. testosterone exposure, dopaminergic reward, and sensation-seeking in young men. Physiology & Behavior;99(4):451-6. Testosterone exposure, dopaminergic reward, and se... [Physiol Behav. 2010] - PubMed result

To test the relationship between androgen exposure, dopaminergic reward and sensation-seeking, we compared variation in salivary testosterone (T), 2D:4D digit ratio, facial masculinity, Zuckerman's sensation-seeking scale (SSS) and the D4 dopamine receptor (DRD4) genes from 98 young men, between the ages of 18 and 23 years. In univariate analyses, both salivary T and facial masculinity were significantly correlated with the SSS boredom susceptibility subscale, while the presence of the 7-repeat allele (7R+) in the dopamine receptor D4 gene was associated with the SSS thrill and adventure-seeking and overall sensation-seeking. Neither left nor right 2D:4D digit ratio was associated with any sensation-seeking scale. In multivariate models, salivary T and facial masculinity were significant predictors of SSS boredom susceptibility, while 7R+ was a significant predictor of SSS thrill and adventure-seeking. For overall SSS, both 7R+ and salivary T were significant predictors. There was no significant interaction of 7R+ and androgen exposure for SSS or any of the SSS subscales. These results add to earlier reports of an association between T and sensation-seeking. In addition, our results also indicate that genetic variation in DRD4 is independently associated with SSS sensation-seeking.

mrmorris likes this.
    m_ob

m_ob Active Member

Kwirion

Kwirion Member

Vitamine D(3) and dopamine connections:

Kwirion

Kwirion Member

More...

http://www.jbc.org/content/256/8/4050.full.pdf

m_ob

m_ob Active Member

So I take it what you're saying is that vitamin D is important in dopamine production/function? [:eek:)]
    thanks for the studies though.

Kwirion

Kwirion Member

it' looks that way.. in research and in my experience: I have some problems with elevated prolactin and vit d3 in larger dose seems to help alleviate the symptoms.
    :)

james2012

james2012 Member

I believe based on experience that it is the change in T levels that cause a dopamine release. Every time I start TRT and my Total T increases, there is always a high followed by a crash in the case of depo and a return to an elevated baseline in the case of Testim. If I lower the dose the dopamine does seem to be decreased. Increase it and the high comes back. Take a break for 1 month and go back on and the high comes back. It seems to be the change rather than the level that has the effect.

CubbieBlue

CubbieBlue Active Member

You couldn't obtain high serum levels on cyp but you could on testim?

saru

saru Member

What dose?

Kwirion

Kwirion Member

It depends... 1000 - 2000 UI in dark, cloudy days and 700 - 1000 UI in more sunny days. I work in office - my sun exposure is usually low.

If I take over 1000 at the evening -> It's hard fall asleep - morning is best time to take Vit D3

My Vit D labs before (only multi (200 UI eod), no extra supplementation) was 20 ng/ml - result between deficient and low normal.

© 1997–2015 MESO-Rx. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer.