What u think of this machine

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by Preacher, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Preacher

Preacher Junior Member

Hey guys what do you all think of this smith machine? its $499.00cnd but I don't want the bench so probably $399 not sure. Please tell me what you think?

I hope I did this right......

2. Thickneck

Thickneck Member

It looks good to me, and you can do alot of different stuff on it. I used to have one in the garage. I had to put db's on thelegs to keep it steady. Ballbearing is the smoothest. I do alot of chest and shoulders on it at the gym. It is easier on my joints also.

3. Girth

Girth Member

It's a Smith Machine....why are you buying it? Aside from anecdotal evidence against their use, aren't there countless studies showing how moving a heavy weight in a single plane of motion is a bad idea? I just don't see the need for it? Are you training people out of your house, such that they like the look of a pretty "gym" machine?

4. CaNe

CaNe Junior Member

Gotta agree with Girth. If you're gonna spend money on equipment then get a power rack and a bench.

5. novicebb

novicebb Member

Looks good but I have seen other's that offer more and is a bit cheaper. I know Dick's Sporting Goods have some smith machines that can hold up to 800lbs of olympic weights and has PID bench, leg attachment, Lat attachment, pull up bar and floor level attachment for cable back rows for like $499 and it comes with the olympic barbell bar.

I don't know the name of it though but i think it is made by Legacy.

6. Preacher

Preacher Junior Member

Girth, my biggest reason for the machine is my own personal use. The biggest problem I have is no spotter...... So i figured a smith machine would be ideal, then i'm not so worried about being home alone and trying a new weight. The last thing the wife and kids want to see is me dead. Well at least the kids would be upset i'm sure......

7. Preacher

Preacher Junior Member

ok how about this.....hopefully the guy doesn't come with it... and I really don't care what it looks like i just want a good machine...

[​IMG]

8. Girth

Girth Member

Two things.....One, you don't need a smith machine to be safe. The only potentially dangerous exercise is bench. But if you buy a POWER CAGE, you will be fine. If you get one with narrow gaps between the hole spacing, you will be able to set up your bench within the cage. The safety pins will be in such a spot that if you can still do a complete rep. Should you fail however, the pins will be slightly lower that your chest yet higher than your neck. Thus, if you are failing, you can let the weight down "on your neck", and the pins will save you.

There is a thread about newyorkbarbell that was done just recently. Get a decent power rack from them and the above will be solved. And for cheaper than your smith machine. I can even link you to the one I have if you decide to take my advice.

9. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

Yeah, I don't understand where the would be any danger of death. If you get stuck under a weight, then dump the bar. Simple.

10. Preacher

Preacher Junior Member

If i dump the bar it will some how manage to go through my tv... :)

I'm just getting borred of the equipment I have I guess. I want a new toy.