Which vitamins are safe to take?

Discussion in 'Men's Health Forum' started by Goingstronger, May 27, 2018.

1. Goingstronger

Goingstronger Member

Note that I’m off all AAS and ancilliaries.

I used to take a multivitamins, not overdosed, mostly 100% of the recommended daily dose of everything, including copper, zinc etc... (mini-multi by Carlson’s if you wonder).

I hadn’t been feeling well overall for a few months, so I decided to completely cut it off:
    My libido is back and hard ons are harder than ever, I’m mentally a LOT more chilled and it helps me in social interactions, I sleep better too.

So it seems that something (or a few things) in this multivitamins were hindering my wellbeing.

My hypothesis is that zinc had been accumulating over time in tissues and had knocked DHT out:

Inhibition of 5 alpha-reductase activity in human skin by zinc and azelaic acid. - PubMed - NCBI
    The effect of zinc on the 5 alpha-reduction of testosterone by the hyperplastic human prostate gland. - PubMed - NCBI

I’m not sure if I have identified the real cuplrit, if it’s the case I wouldn’t want to miss out on other essential vitamins by quiting the multi altogether.

Is a B complex ok to take on a daily basis?

@mands @ChestRockwell

Would love to have your thoughts guys

2. mands

mands Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

@Goingstronger depending how the dosing is laid out in the complex it can be taken daily. I believe b5 and b6 will be the ones you should be most concerned about if taking higher doses.

@ChestRockwell could probably share some more insight.

mands

Goingstronger likes this.
  3. Goingstronger

Goingstronger Member

Thank you big guy!

Are you mentioning b6 risk in high dose because of nerve damage?

4. Michael Scally MD

Michael Scally MD Doctor of Medicine

[OA] Supplemental Vitamins and Minerals for CVD Prevention and Treatment

The authors identified individual randomized controlled trials from previous meta-analyses and additional searches, and then performed meta-analyses on cardiovascular disease outcomes and all-cause mortality. The authors assessed publications from 2012, both before and including the U.S. Preventive Service Task Force review.

Their systematic reviews and meta-analyses showed generally moderate- or low-quality evidence for preventive benefits (folic acid for total cardiovascular disease, folic acid and B-vitamins for stroke), no effect (multivitamins, vitamins C, D, β-carotene, calcium, and selenium), or increased risk (antioxidant mixtures and niacin [with a statin] for all-cause mortality).

Conclusive evidence for the benefit of any supplement across all dietary backgrounds (including deficiency and sufficiency) was not demonstrated; therefore, any benefits seen must be balanced against possible risks.

Jenkins DJA, Spence JD, Giovannucci EL, et al. Supplemental Vitamins and Minerals for CVD Prevention and Treatment. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2018;71:2570. Supplemental Vitamins and Minerals for CVD Prevention and Treatment