Who else has adopted “low weight/higher reps/more cardio/?

Mdrock98

I have given up lifting heavy poundages. I have given up, “so called” high risk exercises, such as heavy bench (shoulder risk), dead lifts from the floor, I use a smith and pull from the knees. Squatting heavy poundages.. .. I use more machines and dumbbells, and value cardio more than anything else. My shoulders are fucked, my back can’t take the abuse from deadlifting and squatting heavy and my elbows needs WD40. Any one else have these type of revelations? Honestly, it feels fucking amazing. I’m loving basic pushups, and pull-ups more than ever as well. I don’t feel like a train ran over me in the morning. I have more energy, and feel great. I mean look at Ronnie Coleman, the amount of injuries that happens.. torn biceps, torn Acl, mcl, ripped pecs, torn rotator cuffs, not to mention the crippling back injuries that happens across the globe. Christ. I feel like I discovered gold. I honestly don’t care if I only put 135 on the bar and rep away.. super set with pushups and pull-ups. Damn. I wish I trained like this in the beginning.

Cheers.

Oldschool

I have given up lifting heavy poundages. I have given up, “so called” high risk exercises, such as heavy bench (shoulder risk), dead lifts from the floor, I use a smith and pull from the knees. Squatting heavy poundages.. .. I use more machines and dumbbells, and value cardio more than anything else. My shoulders are fucked, my back can’t take the abuse from deadlifting and squatting heavy and my elbows needs WD40. Any one else have these type of revelations? Honestly, it feels fucking amazing. I’m loving basic pushups, and pull-ups more than ever as well. I don’t feel like a train ran over me in the morning. I have more energy, and feel great. I mean look at Ronnie Coleman, the amount of injuries that happens.. torn biceps, torn Acl, mcl, ripped pecs, torn rotator cuffs, not to mention the crippling back injuries that happens across the globe. Christ. I feel like I discovered gold. I honestly don’t care if I only put 135 on the bar and rep away.. super set with pushups and pull-ups. Damn. I wish I trained like this in the beginning.

Cheers.
Get on a simple program like GreySkull. Start wherever you want weight wise. Instead of a 3 rep starting point shoot for 6 or 8 or even 20 reps. Keep a good log so you insure you are either lifting more weight or doing more reps with the weight you used last. Get back to having fun lifting. Watch what happens to nagging injuries. They disappear. Give it a shot. I guarantee you will like it. Not everyone here is on a path for the stage or platform.

MindlessWork

AnabolicLab.com Supporter
I have and it sure is a help considering I have had my share of serious injury in the gym and outside of it. Also getting older does not help as we all know Father Time is NOT kind.

Demondosage

Yes, me!! So after detaching my tricep tendon over a year ago I had to totally change my training around to aid in recovery and continue doing what I loved to do.

Bro, I can tell you that the size literally went nowhere, I continued to stay big and even got better in a way! Once that foundation is built you can train with a higher rep scheme, more time under tension, and look fucking amazing!! I haven't done a freeweight barbell squat in about 3 years now and my quads are bigger than they've ever been!! Now, in terms of high reps? I train some exercises with extremely high reps. One of my leg routines is a leg press with a lower stance (half my feet are actually off the lower portion of the pad on the leg sled) and set # 1 is a single 45 on each side x 100 reps, second set is 2 plates per side x 50 reps, 3rd set is 3 plates per side x 25 reps, set 4 is 4 plates per side x 12 reps, I bury every rep and don't lock out on a single rep! Those 4 sets? That's the warm-up. After that it's 3 additional sets of 8-12 reps. And to think back to all those years of killing my nervous system with 20 fucking plates and using a half assed stance that worked all glutes and hams rather than quads? Sheeesh....stupid ego shit!! I have not done a single freeweight barbell bench press in over a year, and ppl ask me all the time "how much do you bench?"

I humbly respond to them ,"I'm just trying to keep from falling apart man"

There is something abt a damn pushup that makes me stay big and pumps me the fuck up. So to answer your question abt heavy training versus light to moderate and high rep schemes? Shit nah man, I only got better!!!

Demondosage

Also, let me just add this to help you out here. Pre exhaustion techniques became much more of a staple of mine. I may go in there on a chest day and hit a set of 100 reps of cable flys before moving to any sort of pressing or even pushups. Also, throwing those pushups in the mix intermittently between other chest exercises like a few sets of an incline dumbbell press works well. Going back and forth, totally unorthodox from traditional training. What it does is it makes the muscle have to work that much harder on the main, traditional style lifts and sets. Therefore the muscle works harder without needing the ridiculous poundages we used to use. There was a really interesting article somewhere about chest growth and pushups versus a bench press, and it was concluded with trial groups that the pushup group actually activated more muscle fibre during exercise than the bench group. I really feel there is something to be said for exercises where the body has to move the way it was intended to move. Pushups, pullups, leg raises, etc.

Inverted bodyweight rows is another one, made my fucking upper and mid back just explode! During quarantine I was trying to think of ways to get the back the same load of work and volume as the pushups. The inverted rows with just my bodyweight became like the pushups for my back. Often I would run through a deck of cards just on that exercise alone, alternating every other set between a wider grip and close grip. Lower numbered cards? I would just squeeze and hold each contraction longer.

Demondosage

Here is a pic taken after running through my deck of cards on the inverted body rows. I don't claim to be anything special, but I'm about 237 lbs here and not like contest ripped, but decent enough combo of size to lean for me anyways. My back was blown to smithereens that day. Haven't done a single barbell squat in a cpl years, a single barbell bench, some deadlifts but nothing like back in the day. Like I said, not trying to say I'm anything crazy, but just wanted to show you an example of what can be done once you have the foundation built and focus more on the style of training you are asking abt.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200831-190115.png
    Screenshot_20200831-190115.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
I stay around 180 to 200, at 6' depending on the seasons. Work is taxing enough, can't afford any more injuries. So I stopped trying to show off how much I could lift. I'd rather just be ripped in the summer, and eat more when I hibernate.

Regular Joe

I have but not willing or wanting ly. I have but only because I have to and it sucks. My motivation was always a little more weight or one more rep. One more rep on high reps is usually cheating a little more. I think it's part of getting old, learning to appreciate what you have instead of trying to get more. Western philosophy when you're young eastern philosophy when you're old

Yup, certain days I'll choose a weight I can hit 5x15-20 super setting with one other exercise and continue that with the rest of my exercises for that day. I'll also do 60-70% of max with negatives and pause reps during the eccentric and concentric parts of the lift to focus on form and mind muscle connection.

Sponsored Links