Why do I suck at dieting?

Discussion in 'Bodybuilding Forum' started by Seve, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Seve

Seve Member

Not trying to waste anyones time.I am 42 . I am blessed with great genetics. I can pack on size , but when it comes to dieting I find it almost impossible. Now I am making a major life change. I am making a career change. I had owned a small bussness and my work .Could not have been more physical and I am moving into sales. What have some have you guys done to get serious and get out of the slump? Stats 42. 6ft 2in approx 18%bf

2. fodsod

fodsod Member

I'd say it's probably your thought process when it comes to eating in general and what you consider "size". Most guys I know that add "size" easily are mistaking fat and water retention for muscle. They hold a lot of water and get fat in the right places (chest, arms) so they consider that "size".

The reality is when they try to cut down they go extreme and drop the water, the skin gets loose and they look terrible so they panic and go right back to eating their normal foods. They quickly go back to that look their used too and the frustration of failing to lose weight or get more cut sets in.

The only way to be successful is to have a long term planned and structured approach to both cutting and bulking. You're always doing one or the other and which ever one you're doing is setting you up for the next phase. There is no time when you're just coasting because the coasting usually means you're eating shit, barely training and getting fatter by the day whether that's your intention or not. At 42 the struggle is real to fight off adding fat that will take a tremendous effort to get rid of. You really have to make it a life style to be successful long term.

Naturally, there is some will power and dedication to your goals required to be successful. Cheating on your diet when you're in a deficit and over eating when you're trying to bulk are both negative behaviors that side track your results on the long term. You don't have to be extreme about it but the more effort you apply the faster you make progress.

In the end, it just takes time using a proper protocol. You do it right 6 out of 7 days a week then you'll get there pretty quick. You do it right only 3 days out of 7 you'll never get there even if you do it for 3 years.

Spooby, macabremitch, Kakarot and 8 others like this.
  3. One word, commitment.

4. ickyrica

ickyrica Member

It's because you're just like me. We fatboys, embrace it!

5. GymRat88

GymRat88 Member

DEDICATION, DICIPLINE, GOALS...

6. Beastn'

Beastn' Junior Member

Planning. Meal prep. PROPER types of cardio that align with your diet

7. Oldman.

Oldman. Member

It’s your mindset. A diet will always fail as it’s implied you will go off the diet at some point after your goals are achieved and this keeps your mind in the wrong place. Think of it as a change in how you eat forever. If you can not do this you will stay on the roller coaster of dieting forever.

8. It all comes down to... what your goals are and how bad you want it.

9. Savagesteve

Savagesteve Member

If I don’t meal prep it makes it easy for me to make the excuse to eat whatever I want which made me the prefect example of how you can’t outwork a shitty diet. Meal prepping keeps me honest and on track.

10. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Member

Have you tried tren? LOL just being funny.
    One word...
    Discipline. At 18% body fat you're only 10 weeks away from being under 10%. Only 10 weeks of perfect eating, how hard can it be?

DrankSlangin and GymRat88 like this.
  11. Beastn'

Beastn' Junior Member

Doable

12. Seve

Seve Member

Thanks guys. Believe it or not that helped. Its all things I know but needed to hear. I like the 10 weeks down to 10%. I will keep you updated.