Wrist pain during dumbbell side delt raises.

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by hurricane, Jun 13, 2017.

1. hurricane

hurricane Member

What's up guys? Finally back in the gym consistently and dropped a few pounds. Was hitting shoulders today and even warming up the side of my left wrist is extremely painful. I really twist my thumbs down during side delt raises(saw Arnold do them that way once and I stuck with them). I can usually do 50's for 8-10 reps but struggled with 35's. Actually ended up repping 20's. Anyone have this issue. I'm now worried about this holding me back. Inside of my wrist I've hurt before doing preachers. Never the outside. Any ideas on how to work around it? Kind of can't avoid using your wrists when lifting. Thanks. Good workout though.

2. Mayne

Mayne Member

Had a similar issue my physio said I dislocated my wrist cause I told him I felt it pop doing snatch grip upright row all I did was compress it, stretch it a lot and use one of those handles that you squeeze together to strengthen it up but I couldn't do hammer curls or lateral raises for a few months mind you just work around it if you are not keen on resting it's pretty much what I did and buy wrist wraps and check if they help you as they do help me really a lot

hurricane likes this.
  3. ChestRockwell

ChestRockwell Member

Patient: "doctor, it hurts when I do this..."
    Doctor: "then stop doing it..."

There are numerous ways to work the lateral head of the delts without even engaging your wrists...the majority of my lateral delt work is done this way, and I rarely do traditional DB raises anymore.

Laying on a bench also can remove the need to waste energy with posterior chain stability, leading to greater focus on lateral head engagement...

hurricane, Kinetic and Wunderpus like this.
  4. Wunderpus

Wunderpus Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I turn my wrists OUT when I do side raises... Also, try some wraps... Are you on an AI or an AAS that causes joint pain like winstrol? Maybe your gym has a side raise machine you can use? Look into spider crawls, too...

hurricane and ChestRockwell like this.
  5. hurricane

hurricane Member

Today was supposed to be biceps. Hammers are a no go. Going to see how back makes it feel. Thanks bro.

6. Mayne

Mayne Member

Both pronated and supinated bothered me little or none but neutral I couldn't do any and I also needed straps on any back exercise except for empty barbell or other kind of insignificant load from what I was told I had to wait for my bones to hold back together and tighten my wrist as often as I can

hurricane likes this.
  7. hurricane

hurricane Member

I'm not on anything bud. I am going to buy wraps though. And yes my gym has the side raise machine. Just not a fan of it. No choice now.

Wunderpus likes this.
  8. Wunderpus

I like the side raise machine, I use it a lot! Well, time to embrace it :)

hurricane likes this.
  9. hurricane

hurricane Member

I understand that sometimes were not the brightest when it comes to injuries, but I have just under 4 weeks to Puerto Rico. I can't skip body parts. I will avoid the DB's for now. I'll try your other suggestion. Thanks. Haven't seen you around man.

10. hurricane

hurricane Member

Yup. Heading to gym now. What do you think would keep the most stress off my wrist? Its NOT leg day!

11. Dr JIM

Dr JIM Member

Amazing how some of the best advice can be ignored by so many, lol

hurricane and ChestRockwell like this.
  12. gr8whitetrukker

gr8whitetrukker Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I would suggest using a weight you can handle.
    Cant remember the last time i used anything greater than 35's for lateral head work. Sure i can hoist much much greater. But the greatest load to engage total contraction is about 35 lbs for me. More than that its poor form city. Which is prolly why your wrists hurt

13. Wunderpus

True. I pick up 40's for partial raises, rarely. And, I'm 98% deltoids..

14. Dr JIM

Dr JIM Member

HC you KNOW the answer to that question mate.

hurricane likes this.
  15. hurricane

hurricane Member

Doc you know I listen about my heart. That's important. LOL. Love you Doc.

Dr JIM likes this.
  16. I use 15-20"s for side delt flyes.
    I go slow and I "pour" at the top of the exercise (like a water pitcher) and momentarily hold-it . Slow coming down too . Makes 20lbs feel like 30lbs.

All the old timers like Arnold & Co. did/does it this way...

17. hurricane

hurricane Member

Could be true. 50's I always get a little sloppy on form. Going to stay between 20-35 pounders from now on.

18. hurricane

hurricane Member

I just did cardio Doc. Tried to warm up but the wrist wasn't having it.

19. hurricane

hurricane Member

OGH you ever use the cables for side delts?

Wunderpus and Oregongearhead like this.
  20. System7

System7 Member

your fuckin old man. Lol. 50's?? You crazy mane. 30's over here for the light weight.

*35's when I'm trying to get my @gr8whitetrukker on and show off for the ladies.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    gr8whitetrukker and hurricane like this.