Bulk Like A Sumo Wrestler

Eman

Master
Ever heard of Chanko Nabe? This is what sumo wrestlers feast on. Sumo wrestlers prefer chicken Chanko Nabe because they believe it gives them balance since a chicken is always standing on two feet. Looks like a good bulking stew to try out, especially good for this time of year.

Sumo wrestlers will train in the morning and eat this stew for lunch in massive quantities. Then they nap during the afternoon. When they wake, they consume more Chanko. This is an interesting video that delves into sumo and Chanko Nabe:

• 2 burdock roots, peeled and thinly sliced (optional)
  • 8 ounces udon noodles
  • 2 tablespoons peanut oil
  • 1 leek, white and light green parts only, cut into thin rounds
  • 3 ounces shiitake mushrooms, brushed clean, stemmed and sliced
  • 4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
  • 8 cups chicken stock
  • 1 sheet kombu seaweed
  • One 6-inch piece daikon or 6 radishes, thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon white miso paste
  • 1 tablespoon red miso paste
  • 1 tablespoon mirin
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce, plus more if needed
  • 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
  • 6 small red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
  • 2 cups coarsely chopped napa cabbage
  • 2 heads baby bok choy, trimmed and cut lengthwise into ribbons
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into pinkie-width strips
  • 1/2 orange bell pepper, cut lengthwise into pinkie-width strips
  • 4 eggs
  • Jasmine Rice
  • 7 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1/4 cup fresh chives
  1. If using the burdock, rinse under cold water. Put in a large bowl, cover with cold water, and soak for 20 minutes, changing the water once about halfway through. Cook the noodles according to the package directions, rinse, and set aside. They need not be kept hot.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 12-inch or larger cast-iron sauté pan or 5-quart or larger Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the leek and cook until soft and just beginning to color on the edges, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and add the mushrooms to the same pan. This time, turn the heat up high to get some of the moisture out of the mushrooms. After 5 minutes or so, when you can really smell them cooking, transfer the mushrooms to the plate with the leek.

3. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil to the pan over medium heat. Working in batches, lay the chicken pieces skin-side down in the hot oil. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the chicken is browned on both sides, turning the pieces frequently to prevent sticking. Set the chicken aside on a plate.

4. In a large saucepan or stockpot over medium heat, combine the stock, kombu, and daikon. Bring to a gentle simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and remove the kombu. Add the red and white miso paste along with the mirin and soy sauce, stirring to thoroughly dissolve the miso pastes. Taste the broth. It should be potent and a little salty. If you think it might need salt, it probably does. Add more soy sauce a little at a time until it tastes just the way you like it.

5. Add the browned chicken thighs, the carrots, the potatoes, and the cabbage to the pan. Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Add the bok choy and bell peppers. Keeping the heat low, cook for 5 more minutes, then carefully crack the eggs onto the surface of the barely-simmering broth. Poach the eggs for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the whites set.

6. Divide rice among 4 large bowls. Add a handful of udon noodles to each and arrange the noodles to make a nest. Using a slotted spoon, place a poached egg carefully in each nest. Scatter one-fourth of the tofu cubes into each bowl. Next, ladle the simmering broth, along with plenty of vegetables and a chicken thigh, around the egg in each bowl. Finish by sprinkling on the chives. The bowls should be beautiful, plentiful, and memorable.
-CAROLINE RUSSOCK

Last edited:
Can you make it in a ridiculous quantity then send it to me and label it "eman gainz stew" and see if it clears the boarder :D

Can you make it in a ridiculous quantity then send it to me and label it "eman gainz stew" and see if it clears the boarder :D

You got it my man. It's gonna be all smoke and mirrors though... I'll add dnp to it and it'll be like you never ate a thing ;). You'll be like "what the hell I think this is bunk stew."

I like the idea of using tofu in some dishes that already have meats added. Seems to me I could really pack a lot of protein and calories in general into it.