David Zs Primer on TRT, HCG and E2 Management - Part 2 of 2

DavidZ

Chapter 5 E2 Management, DIM and Arimidex

Men convert a small amount of their testosterone (T) to estrogen (E) by the action of the aromatase enzyme. As men age, they experience both decreasing levels of T and increasing levels of E. When the T/E ratio begins to tip downwards, a number of negative health effects occur. This effect is sometimes called estrogen dominance.

Men who are on T replacement therapy (TRT) often experience elevated E as a side effect of boosting their T back to normal.

Whether you are on TRT or not, putting the T/E ratio back into proper balance generally restores a man's vigor including improved erectile function. The remainder of this chapter discusses two remedies that are used in estrogen management Diindolylmethane (DIM) and Arimidex.

Diindolylmethane (DIM) is a naturally occurring substance found primarily in cruciferous vegetables (e.g., cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, etc.) that helps the liver digest/metabolize Estradiol into more benign/healthy estrogens. When taken orally, DIM is not very bioavailable because it gets digested in the stomach and, therefore, doesnt make its way into the bloodstream. However, Indolplex is a proprietary formulation that increases DIM's oral bioavailability.

For more information about DIM see www.dimfaq.com. This website was written by Dr. Michael Zeligs of BioResponse who owns the patent on the proprietary DIM formulation.

I experienced a tremendous surge in erectile function during the first 2 or 3 months on a very low dosage of Indoplex (25 to 50 mg/day). The effect of Indoplex began after about 1 or 2 days and remains at about 80% of the initial surge effect level after about 3 years. Other men have reported similar results.

The recommended dosage for Indolplex is about 240 mg/day. This dosage is way too much for me, but I'm highly responsive to it. However, setting your DIM dosage is very tricky because the window of optimum E2 level is very narrow. See Chapter 7 for a discussion about setting your DIM dosage.

Many brands of DIM are available in vitamin stores and on the Internet. Some of these brands are manufactured under Zeligs patent and some arent. Unfortunately, supplements aren't well regulated like pharmaceuticals. As a result the quality of supplements varies greatly by brand.

Ive had excellent results using Indolplex with DIM by PhytoPharmica. (See www.ritecare.com/prodsheets/PHY-15336.html. ) About 20 blood test results as well as my clinical response (see Chapter 7) have confirmed that DIM works for me.

Arimidex is a prescription drug that is very effective in lowering blood levels of E by inhibiting the action of the aromatase enzyme. While some men report some clinical benefits from Arimidex, the results do not match what one would expect from the reduction in E2 that this treatment yields. The reason for this discrepancy is unknown.

DIM is a relatively benign supplement (no prescription required) with no side effects (unless you take too much). In contrast, Arimidex is a prescription drug with a long list of potential side effects.

I suspect that elevated E2 in men may result more from insufficient metabolization of E2 rather than excess aromatization. For a number of reasons/causes the P450 system in the liver declines in function as men age. Therefore, while we probably make more E2 as we get older, we also don't metabolize it as well as we did when we were younger.

In addition to being a food supplement rather than a drug, DIM supports a deficient system in our bodies to do what it was designed to do rather than blocking a functioning system from doing what it was meant to do.

Chapter 6 Amazing How Balancing T and E Improved My Health

In June 1999 at the age of 44, I was diagnosed with hypogonadism (low testosterone), microhematuria (microscopic blood in the urine), and prostatitis (frequent urination and an enlarged and painful prostate). Also, I had 2 positive cytology reports (indicating that I might have bladder cancer).

In February 2000, I started HCG shots. I had a kidney IVP to try to find the source of the microhematuria, but they found nothing.

I also discovered in early 2000 that I had Ulcerative Colitis (UC), which is an inflammation of the colon. I probably had this condition for years. When it flares up (about every month or 2), Cipro works very quickly (due to its anti-inflammatory properties rather than as an antibiotic, I suppose) to calm it down.

In May 2001, I started taking DIM which lowered my Estradiol (E2) from about 70 (<45) to about 40, putting my T and E2 in proper balance for the first time in years.

In August 2001, I visited my urologist. He told me that the microhematuria is gone and that my prostate is normal. Also, I've had consecutive 4 negative cytology reports in 2001. I saw my urologist last in 2003 and he said its no longer an issue.

I get a UC flare up about once a year now. It happens when my T and E2 get out of balance.

I should also mention that:

(1) I have more energy, particularly in the evenings.

(2) I have much stronger erections. I generally don't use V, but sometimes I'll take a half of a 25 mg, for a little extra boost.

(3) My workouts are more intense and less strenuous.

(4) My skin color went form pale to dark. It's embarrassing when people ask me if I've been somewhere warm on vacation lately. I just say no, rather going into detail about how I rebalanced my hormones.

(5) I sleep better. Shorter duration, but more restful.

(6) I don't get sick as often.

(7) My insulin sensitivity has improved dramatically (I'm T2 diabetic w/o meds and my HbA1c went from 7.1% to 6.0%).

(8) I can only imagine the various positive effects that rebalancing my hormones has had on my cardiovascular/lipid profile, bone health, immune system, etc.

I don't want to leave the impression that rebalancing my hormones was easy. No way. And the fact that the vast majority of doctors, including endocrinologists and urologists, are vastly undereducated about the benefits and methods of TRT makes the job extra difficult. It took me two years and a lot of study and experimentation to achieve the above.

Chapter 7 Adjusting DIM Dosage

I am amazed at the power that DIM has on me and with the effect that extremely small adjustments to my daily dosage have on my health.

When I first tried DIM in early 2000 (using the manufacturer's recommended dosage of two 120 mg tablets per day), I felt pretty good for a few days or so and then I crashed big time. So, I stopped taking it and returned to normal (or at least to my previous status). I was very confused and didn't know what to conclude other than this stuff was not for me. It wasn't until a year and a half later that I suspected that the reason for the negative response was that I was overdosing and, thereby, reducing my E2 too low. So, I started taking half a tablet a day. I felt great for about 2 weeks including more energy and much stronger erections. But after a while I felt down again. So, I dropped my dosage to a quarter of a tablet. That worked very well. I've been fine-tuning the dosage ever since.

A lot of posters say that they tried DIM and it improved their erections, but after a week they were as bad or worse off than before they started. What happened was that they dropped their E2 down to the optimum level and then went beyond it. The window of optimum E2 level is very small. Too little E2 is not a good thing. E2 is needed for libido as well as heart, muscle and bone health. That's why I suggest starting low (e.g., one tablet per day at dinner) and then see how it goes. If your erections get strong for a few days and then go away, that means that the dosage is too high for you. Stop for 2 or 3 days and start up again at half a tablet per day. If the same thing happens again, go to one quarter of a tablet per day. Once youre in the right range and you want to adjust from there, make the adjustment small and keep it at that level for a week, or better yet, 2 weeks. Observe your body's response and adjust accordingly.

Getting the dosage right is extremely tricky and extremely critical. The thing that makes adjusting the DIM dosage so difficult is that the clinical response you get (i.e., how you feel) when you take too much (i.e., drop your E2 too low) feels a lot like the response you get when you take too little (i.e., when your E2 is too high). As a result, when you feel down, you don't know whether to increase or decrease the dosage. That's why I learned to listen very carefully to my body and rely on certain indicators. These indicators include erectile response, nipple sensitivity, the quality and restfulness of my sleep, my tendency to maintain or gain weight, and the presence or absence of a burning sensation in my lips and tongue. Eventually, using these indicators, I developed the ability to regulate my daily DIM complex intake.

To fine-tune my dosage, I use a jeweler's scale (cost about $200) that measures to an accuracy of 2 mg (0.002 g) to parcel out my dosage. (See the Tanita 1210-50 at http://balanc.temp.veriohosting.com/paypal/diamond.html ) Since one 120 mg DIM tablet weighs a little over a gram, that translates to an accuracy of about 0.1 mg of DIM complex in adjusting my dosage.

Before starting DIM, my T to E2 ratio was about 10 to 1 (T average of about 700 and E2 average of about 70). Now my T to E2 ratio is about 20 to 1 (T average of about 800 and E2 average of about 40).

Please note that I'm not suggesting that your E2 level indicators will be the same ones as mine. I'm only suggesting that by listening to your body, and finding YOUR indicators, you might be able to find your "right" dosage as well.

It is very likely that I am more in tune with my body's signals than most men. As a result, this approach would not be for everyone. I follow a very disciplined and intense program of diet and exercise. I know very quickly when my energy is waning.

I wish I could tell you that it was easier than this. Until we have better ways of measuring E2, this is the best I can offer. Of course, whatever you do, it's best to verify your clinical observations with before and after blood tests.

For a discussion on how DIM improved my health in many ways, see Chapter 6 Amazing How Rebalancing T and E Improved My Health."

I hope that this primer makes it a little easier for the next guy to take his life back.

- David

While I appreciate the effort, let's keep in mind there are several serious mistakes, and misconceptions, published in this series.

Gentlemen are encouraged to rely upon the advice of the experts here on these topics.

mranak said:
Why can't Part 1 and Part 2 be put into the same thread?
When I posted it, it was too large to fit in one message.

SWALE said:
While I appreciate the effort, let's keep in mind there are several serious mistakes, and misconceptions, published in this series.
If you would like to challenge any specific aspect of these articles, please feel free to do so. But making generalized, negative comments like this is not very helpful.

And, please, let's not discuss the topic of whether Indolplex/DIM can lower E2. No matter how much data I post to this effect, we all know you will argue with it. Let not go there again, OK?

Sorry, I just didn't have time to go through it all. My statement stands. No one is expecting you to be an expert in this stuff, just someone who has put in a lot of time trying to help others.

This Forum always has, and will continue to, explore truth.

I-3-C/DIM are not used to lower estrogen. They are used to manipulate the comparative concentrations of the various estrogen metabolites. If estrogen is elevated, you have to first take a whack out of it with an AI-class drug.

SWALE said:
This Forum always has, and will continue to, explore truth.

I-3-C/DIM are not used to lower estrogen.
You want the TRUTH?!

You can't HANDLE the TRUTH! :D

Date, T, E2, T/E2 Ratio

03/03/00 1303 101 12.9
03/21/00 595 69 8.6
04/29/00 753 72 10.5
06/05/00 463 38 12.2
08/09/00 795 81 9.8
09/16/00 981 91 10.8
10/09/00 494 50 9.9
11/11/00 1144 76 15.1
12/04/00 471 54 8.7
01/13/01 638 78 8.2
01/29/01 503 52 9.7
02/17/01 906 61 14.9 Started Chrysin (transdermal)
03/22/01 910 43 21.2
04/14/01 874 61 14.3
05/19/01 587 58 10.1 Ended Chrysin (transdermal)
07/02/01 1202 47 25.6 Started Indolplex/DIM
08/02/01 829 40 20.7
09/22/01 708 39 18.2
12/01/01 782 55 14.2
02/23/02 895 40 22.4
05/18/02 696 55 12.7
07/27/02 889 30 29.6
08/24/02 1202 71 16.9
10/05/02 534 38 14.1
12/07/02 1115 80 13.9
03/08/03 791 51 15.5
04/19/03 762 42 18.1
05/17/03 713 38 18.8
06/28/03 460 30 15.3
07/26/03 703 49 14.3
12/27/03 851 35 24.3
03/06/04 776 40 19.4
05/22/04 823 40 20.6
07/24/04 690 39 17.7
09/29/04 812 46 17.7
02/26/05 605 21 28.8
03/26/05 607 21 28.9
04/26/05 682 39 17.5
05/31/05 639 36 17.8
08/11/05 620 45 13.8
09/28/05 661 30 22.0

Given that even small changes in dosages of Cypionate, HCG, etc. can have an impact on E2, I am just curious…did you keep all other factors static for all these labs? Hell, even adding or subtracting zinc can have an impact can’t it? So something as simple as changing ones multi could be a variable that must be considered.

Please don't be offended by my asking. I am just trying to give some context to the data you are presenting.

Last edited:
smitty4 said:
Given that even small changes in dosages of Cypionate, HCG, etc. can have an impact on E2, I am just curiousdid you keep all other factors static for all these labs? Hell, even adding or subtracting zinc can have an impact cant it? So something as simple as changing ones multi could be a variable that must be considered.

Please don't think I am attacking what you have said. I am just trying to give some context to the data you are presenting.
My protocol has been relatively consistent throughout this period. I've been on an HCG only protocol since February 2000. My HCG dosage was gradually lowered throughout the last six years to maintain my T in the upper normal range. I presume that means that my Leydig cells have become more response to HCG over that time. In about April 2005, I switched from twice weekly to daily HCG shots and added a very small amount of DHT cream to my protocol.

In the first half of that period, I tried a few different E2 management tools. As you can see, during my first year of using HCG, when my T was in the proper range (600 to 900), my E2 ran about 70 to 80, which is about 50% over the top of the normal range (<50). This elevated E2 resulted in the various problems that I discuss in Chapter 6 of my primer.

Since July 2001, I've been taking about 1/3 to 1/2 of an Indolplex/DIM tablet per day. This alone has kept my E2 at about 40, which is well below the top of the normal range. In Chapter 6 of my primer, I also discuss the various improvements in my health that resulted from this small dosage of Indolplex/DIM and the attendent reduction in E2. These improvements have remained, and even increased, since I wrote the primer about 4 or 5 years ago.

Clearly the Indolplex/DIM is causing my E2 to drop from 70 to 40. If someone tries to argue that something else is causing my E2 to drop from 70 to 40, as validated by about 50 blood tests (which I'm not saying you're doing; you've asked a valid question), that would be just plain silly. Nonetheless, given the nature of Internet message boards, it wouldn't at all surprise me if someone does. :)

DavidZ said:
When I posted it, it was too large to fit in one message.
The two posts don't need to be combined into a single post, but surely both posts can be made to the same thread, no?

SWALE said:
I-3-C/DIM are not used to lower estrogen. They are used to manipulate the comparative concentrations of the various estrogen metabolites. If estrogen is elevated, you have to first take a whack out of it with an AI-class drug.
But what is an estrogen here? Any substance that has a binding affinity with the estrogen receptor? Anything that shows up on a 'total estrogens' blood test? The two seem to be different things. As far as I can tell, 'total estrogens' refers to E1+E2+E3 and not the estrogen metabolites...but I have no firm information either way.

I seem to recall you mentioning that you like to first control E2 with an AI. Then, is total estrogens are still high and the person still have symptoms of high estrogens, I3C or DIM can be used to lower the total estrogens. That seems reasonable to me, but if I misunderstood then I would love to know.

mranak said:
The two posts don't need to be combined into a single post, but surely both posts can be made to the same thread, no?
Good point. I didn't think of that when I posted it. :eek:

mranak said:
But what is an estrogen here?
I don't worry about total estrogens. No one has yet convinced me that I should.

I know exactly what problems are associated with elevated E2. My symptoms are obvious. OTOH, no one seems to know what symptoms, if any, result from elevated total estrogen (without elevated E2).

I've been seeing Dr. Shippen for over six years. He's never tested me for any estrogen other than estradiol (E2). A couple years ago, he mentioned that he was looking into the impact of other estrogens but he's never discussed it with me from a clinical standpoint. In fact, I've brought it up a couple of times, but he's never shown any interest in pursuing it with me.

IIRC, somewhere in his book, Shippen says that E2 is about 100 times as potent as any other estrogen.

Unfortunately, the literature is very confusing on this topic because estrogen is often used when they mean estradiol and vice versa.

DavidZ said:
I don't worry about total estrogens. No one has yet convinced me that I should.
If you don't have symptoms of high estrogens, then it probably isn't something that you should worry about. But SWALE had patients that had symptoms of high estrogen despite controlled E2. So he tested those patients and found out that their total estrogens were elevated. He brought the total estrogens down (with I3C or DIM, I think) and their symtoms typically disappeared.

That's enough evidence for me that total estrogens matter for some men.

I can take a full 2.5mg of Letrozole/day and I notice zero subjective difference. But my cholesterol goes to shit. So I don't worry that much about my estrogens. But I realize that estrogens have a greater effect on other men and I respect that it is important that they receive appropriate treatment.

From what I have observed, aromatase inhibitors are superior at controlling E2. DIM attacks the problem from the other side. It seems to me that it makes sense to fix the problem closer to the source.

I'm in agreement with SWALE and mranak here. Indolplex DIM did nothing for me. While maintaining consistent doses of T cyp and hCG, and with midrange E2, my total estrogens continued to rise. My ankles were swollen I could produce deep indentations by pushing with my fingers, that would remain for several minutes. Adding Indolplex DIM, first one, then two capsules, only caused both E2 and total estrogens to rise. E2 approached the upper-normal range, and total E was sky high (250, if I remember correctly, with 130 the top of the normal range.) Adding TMG didn't help.

Starting Arimidex and discontinuing the OTCs fixed the problem.

I say this because I see guys here on the forum with issues and they are trying to use the OTCs like DIM (or even 6-OXO) to fix their problems, and their problems aren't getting any better, or they are getting worse, but they stubbornly maintain their reliance on these OTCs, just because they worked for someone else. While DIM and other OTCs are very promising and works very well for some guys, maybe even many guys, they do nothing, and may even be detrimental, to others.

mranak said:
If you don't have symptoms of high estrogens, then it probably isn't something that you should worry about.
Agreed.

mranak said:
But SWALE had patients that had symptoms of high estrogen despite controlled E2. So he tested those patients and found out that their total estrogens were elevated. He brought the total estrogens down (with I3C or DIM, I think) and their symtoms typically disappeared.

That's enough evidence for me that total estrogens matter for some men.
Yes, under those (very limited) circumstances, that makes sense.

But, unfortunately, many posters here, try to lower their E2, simply to get the number down.

mranak said:
I can take a full 2.5mg of Letrozole/day and I notice zero subjective difference. But my cholesterol goes to shit. So I don't worry that much about my estrogens.
So, you take nothing to control E2? What's your protocol and how's your E2?

mranak said:
From what I have observed, aromatase inhibitors are superior at controlling E2. DIM attacks the problem from the other side. It seems to me that it makes sense to fix the problem closer to the source.
On this, we disagree.

Indolplex/DIM helps the sluggish liver in its task of metabolizing excess E2. It supports a failing organ to better do what it's supposed to do.

Arimidex suppresses the body's function of converting T to E2. In that sense it's working against the body rather than supporting it to do what it was designed to do.

With regard to which is superior, that depends on which sense you mean. If Indolplex/DIM works for you, than it's vastly superior, based on the clinical response (i.e., erectile function, energy level, etc.) that men report. However, Indolplex doesn't work for a lot of men, while Arimidex works for pretty much every man. So, with regard to clinical response, Indolplex is superior, while with regard to the universe of men for which it works in lowering E2, Arimidex is superior.

I wonder how many times I am going to have to write this? I-3-C/DIM do not lower estrogens. There is SOME evidence they in fact elevate them.

If E is elevated, only an AI can lower same. The OTC's mentioned here merely manipulate the ratios between the various estrogens.

I do not know why, David, you keep going on and on with this stuff. It is not even a debatable point.

I'm still trying to figure what counts for in the 'total estrogens' in a plasma or serum test. Only E1+E2+E3 ? The estrogen metabolites as well?

Anybody know?

Swale: It would be helpful, if you would contribute constructively to the conversation, rather than making vague, obstructive pronouncements as youve been doing.

All Others: Indolplex/DIM is very effective for many, but not all, men in lowering E2. This fact has been demonstrated repeatedly by blood tests (including my 50 or so blood tests shown above in this thread) and is not debatable. Everyone here seems to accept this fact. Except for Swale.

When Indolplex works, total estrogens will remain the same or even increase slightly. Thats because Indolplex converts E2 into more benign, beneficial estrogens. The net result is a significant decrease in overall estrogenic activity because E2 is about 50 to 100 more potent than any other estrogen. And, yes, mranak, my understanding is that total estrogens includes the hydroxys and other estrogen metabolites.

I wish Swale would either (a) read and sincerely respond to these topics, or (b) not respond at all. That way, I wont have to keep repeating whats already been said in this and many other threads.

There is nothing "vague" or "obstructive" in what I am saying. In fact, I do not know how things could be made more crystal clear for you.

You do not possess the knowledge base to argue these points with me. For some reason, you have come to think you do. You are years of disciplined study away from that status.

I am not going to allow untrue statements to be posted as fact here just to satisfy your fragile ego. In addition, I am tired of the same old broken record from you on this topic; but moreso, your insulting language. I told you before that the next time you insulted me, you would be banned. Apparently, you did not take me seriously. Your comments some months ago were WAY more than enough for me to dismiss you from this Forum. But I let them go, after I gave you that crystal clear warning. Once again, you are back at it. Now you are gone. I hope you can find a Board where you can get along.

DavidZ said:
My protocol has been relatively consistent throughout this period. I've been on an HCG only protocol since February 2000. My HCG dosage was gradually lowered throughout the last six years to maintain my T in the upper normal range. I presume that means that my Leydig cells have become more response to HCG over that time. In about April 2005, I switched from twice weekly to daily HCG shots and added a very small amount of DHT cream to my protocol.

In the first half of that period, I tried a few different E2 management tools. As you can see, during my first year of using HCG, when my T was in the proper range (600 to 900), my E2 ran about 70 to 80, which is about 50% over the top of the normal range (<50). This elevated E2 resulted in the various problems that I discuss in Chapter 6 of my primer.

Since July 2001, I've been taking about 1/3 to 1/2 of an Indolplex/DIM tablet per day. This alone has kept my E2 at about 40, which is well below the top of the normal range. In Chapter 6 of my primer, I also discuss the various improvements in my health that resulted from this small dosage of Indolplex/DIM and the attendent reduction in E2. These improvements have remained, and even increased, since I wrote the primer about 4 or 5 years ago.

Clearly the Indolplex/DIM is causing my E2 to drop from 70 to 40. If someone tries to argue that something else is causing my E2 to drop from 70 to 40, as validated by about 50 blood tests (which I'm not saying you're doing; you've asked a valid question), that would be just plain silly. Nonetheless, given the nature of Internet message boards, it wouldn't at all surprise me if someone does. :)

Sorry I have been away from the board for a little while. Work has a way of doing that from time to time.

From my limited understanding HCG raises E2 in many men. I am a little confused as to how someone would think that gradually lowering their HCG dosage could not have played a role in the outcome of their labs.

Yes, it appears that there were a lot of lab results that were drawn after starting Indolplex/DIM that show lower E2, but I am confused. If one is manipulating multiple variables at the same time, how can one then attribute 100% of the reduction in E2 to one variable while ignoring the other? This is totally against what I have learned regarding conducting studies that have any validity.