eGFR and Kidney Function Tests

The-Optimist

Subscriber
One thing that's been consistent in my kidney function tests is that my eGFR is low. It's technically within normal range but it's too close to stage one CKD for my liking. Thing is, when I came off everything 8 years or so ago, my eGFR was the same, around the 65 mark. Since then, the best it's ever been in any test was 70. I was on 125mg Test E and not even training at the time. My creatinine at that time was 101, just within the top of the range and all other tests, it's slightly elevated at 108-119, which I gather is OK given that I'm weight training, just like how Creatine Kinase is also elevated but to be expected with training.

Urea and sodium have always been OK. I've ordered a BUN test. I take it this gives me a better indicator of kidney health than the standard urea test? That eGFR figure just has always bugged me and it seems that if you train and / or eat a high protein diet like I'm sure we all do, then it's really hard to get an accurate overview of kidney health, since these factors alone can push eGFR, urea, BUN, sodium, CK and Creatinine our of range anyway.

I feel like we have addressed this question in the past 3 days from different users

EGFR is calculated off of the creatinine with standard tests. if you weight train your body has alot of creatinine as a weight training biproduct. nutritional, supplemental, or what your body has naturally produced

So if your creatinine is high which is to be expected. your EGFR will be low

get a cystatin C on your next test. then ask us for input.

Order atleast
CBC
CMP
Cystatin C

/thread

I feel like we have addressed this question in the past 3 days from different users

EGFR is calculated off of the creatinine with standard tests. if you weight train your body has alot of creatinine as a weight training biproduct. nutritional, supplemental, or what your body has naturally produced

So if your creatinine is high which is to be expected. your EGFR will be low

get a cystatin C on your next test. then ask us for input.

Order atleast
CBC
CMP
Cystatin C

/thread

OK, sorry for the repetition and many thanks for the help.

OK, sorry for the repetition and many thanks for the help.
oh its, its not you, lol. its not like there is a big subject that says "advice for Kidney function"

Dont worry too much, if the cystatin C is elevated then it may be best to see a PCP for a workup. but let us know how the test goes.

Do you already have a cheap place to get the test?

oh its, its not you, lol. its not like there is a big subject that says "advice for Kidney function"

Dont worry too much, if the cystatin C is elevated then it may be best to see a PCP for a workup. but let us know how the test goes.

Do you already have a cheap place to get the test?

Thanks :) Yes, the place I use do a CBC, WBC, Proteins, Kidney, Liver, Uric Acid and Lipids for £50 which I think is a bargain. You can customise so I'll see if they do Cystatin-C as a bolt-on. There's a whole bunch of others I use in the UK. One of them is bound to do it.

Thanks :) Yes, the place I use do a CBC, WBC, Proteins, Kidney, Liver, Uric Acid and Lipids for £50 which I think is a bargain. You can customise so I'll see if they do Cystatin-C as a bolt-on. There's a whole bunch of others I use in the UK. One of them is bound to do it.

To maybe give you some relief incase you're worried, my eGFR calculated via creatinine is always in the 40s. My eGFR calculated via cystatin-c was 117.

One thing that's been consistent in my kidney function tests is that my eGFR is low. It's technically within normal range but it's too close to stage one CKD for my liking. Thing is, when I came off everything 8 years or so ago, my eGFR was the same, around the 65 mark. Since then, the best it's ever been in any test was 70. I was on 125mg Test E and not even training at the time. My creatinine at that time was 101, just within the top of the range and all other tests, it's slightly elevated at 108-119, which I gather is OK given that I'm weight training, just like how Creatine Kinase is also elevated but to be expected with training.

Urea and sodium have always been OK. I've ordered a BUN test. I take it this gives me a better indicator of kidney health than the standard urea test? That eGFR figure just has always bugged me and it seems that if you train and / or eat a high protein diet like I'm sure we all do, then it's really hard to get an accurate overview of kidney health, since these factors alone can push eGFR, urea, BUN, sodium, CK and Creatinine our of range anyway.
Look into Astragalus for bumping up your eGFR levels, it works.

Astragalus is one of the most popular herbs in chinese medicine to treat kidney disease, there was an in house study done at a university in Japan to see the effect of astragulus on eGFR levels. l have attached a link if you interested.
Oral Astragalus Root Supplementation for Mild to Moderate Chronic Kidney Disease: A Self-Controlled Case-Series
Not really. If his egfr is decreased because of a creatinine calculation and his creatinine is elevated because of training... Then this isn't necessary

Astragalus is one of the most popular herbs in chinese medicine to treat kidney disease, there was an in house study done at a university in Japan to see the effect of astragulus on eGFR levels. l have attached a link if you interested.
Oral Astragalus Root Supplementation for Mild to Moderate Chronic Kidney Disease: A Self-Controlled Case-Ser
Oral Astragalus Root Supplementation for Mild to Moderate Chronic Kidney Disease: A Self-Controlled Case-Series
@readalot Since astralagus reportedly increases creatine excretion, does it simply skew the estimated eGFR test results or does it actually improve the kidneys?

@readalot Since astralagus reportedly increases creatine excretion, does it simply skew the estimated eGFR test results or does it actually improve the kidneys?

How is your blood pressure? Keeping it in range should be the highest priority on your list if you are concerned about your kidney health.

It seems to skew the eGFR (based on creatinine) by improving creatinine clearance in someone with healthy kidneys and also may exert beneficial effects on the kidney in persons with renal dysfunction.

I would like to see the effect of astragalus on a BB (cystatin C test with and without astralagus) with appropriate experimental setup.

How is your blood pressure? Keeping it in range should be the highest priority on your list if you are concerned about your kidney health.
D
Definitely. But also lookong for additional support in the form of any supplements that might help. My BP is regulated with Benicar

It seems to skew the eGFR (based on creatinine) by improving creatinine clearance in someone with healthy kidneys and also may exert beneficial effects on the kidney in persons with renal dysfunction.

I would like to see the effect of astragalus on a BB (cystatin C test with and without astralagus) with appropriate experimental setup.
Agreed. I may try that exact experiment

According to Vigorous Steve his Cystatin c drops with continued use of the herb (several years) at one point it was 1 mg/dL, and at its lowest point it was 0.69 mg/dL, which is a huge difference.

Back