FBI traced Bitcoin to ransomware wallet

Yes this is how the Fibbies can trace bitcoin and then intercept it. Nice work though recovering most of that company's money.

Don't know how many have seen this. The FBI successfully traced and confiscated the bitcoins from the colonial pipeline hackers.

The NSA came up with the technology for bitcoin. Im surprised this doesn't happen more often

I thought all they did was lean on the online provider for the private key, which is intimidation more than hacking. Kind of dumb to not at least use a local wallet. "Oh hey, let me transfer these extorted coins to Coinbase. That'll be safe."

I thought all they did was lean on the online provider for the private key, which is intimidation more than hacking. Kind of dumb to not at least use a local wallet. "Oh hey, let me transfer these extorted coins to Coinbase. That'll be safe."
Yeah the only thing they hacked is a server with the private keys on it. hacking sha 256 is impossible.

Does everyone agree that nothing is really safe or secure if its on the internet? Isnt that one of the main reason crypto has stuck around so long because of the private/secure way of trading currency?

Don't know how many have seen this. The FBI successfully traced and confiscated the bitcoins from the colonial pipeline hackers.

Many people have written about this but to suffice to say the feds aren't exactly being fully truthful with how they actually recovered the btc. The hackers used a payment server that was easily trackable. Feds got a search warrant and found the computer/cloud server holding the private keys to access the btc wallet. It was hacker user error. The feds didn't pull off some magic.

Does everyone agree that nothing is really safe or secure if its on the internet? Isnt that one of the main reason crypto has stuck around so long because of the private/secure way of trading currency?

This is why an offline wallet is a must if you hold a significant amount of crypto. I lost mine in a boating accident unfortunately, so if anyone came looking for it they'd be out of luck.

This is why an offline wallet is a must if you hold a significant amount of crypto. I lost mine in a boating accident unfortunately, so if anyone came looking for it they'd be out of luck.

Damn boating accidents
Friend of mine lost ALL of his newly prohibited Assault rifles in a boating accident too.

Was a shame he couldnt hand them over to.the proper authorities