Hair worse in finasteride?

Noticed hair thinning few years back. Never really bad. Used minoxidil. 32 years old. Decided to hop on fin 1 mg last March. Didn't really see anything initially. In August I decided to drop the fin dose to .5 mg due to no morning wood. Did that and now I feel like my hair has gotten so much worse than baseline. My hair looks and feels dead and still have massive shedding now. Anyone know if fin can make hair worse?. I have diffuse thinning so thinning all over. Should I drop the fin entirely or bump it back up to 1 mg and stay on for least a year?

Try the spray. Studies show it targets the DHT in your hair more or at least as effectively. Also a lot less gets absorbed into the body which won’t kill your DHT all around, so you generally can take more.

It can cause some burning but it def helped while I used it. My hair barely shed. I got to jump back on it cause I’m shedding and honestly not sure why I stopped lol.

Last edited:
Try the spray. Studies show it targets the DHT in your hair more or at least as effectively. Also a lot less gets absorbed into the body which won’t kill your DHT all around, so you generally can take more.

It can cause some burning but it def helped while I used it. My hair barely shed. I got to jump back on it cause I’m shedding and honestly not sure why I stopped lol.
Thanks man. Problem is I have a newborn at home and heard that stuff can be really harmful around woman and children. So not sure it's worth risking the topical. Any knowledge on that?

Noticed hair thinning few years back. Never really bad. Used minoxidil. 32 years old. Decided to hop on fin 1 mg last March. Didn't really see anything initially. In August I decided to drop the fin dose to .5 mg due to no morning wood. Did that and now I feel like my hair has gotten so much worse than baseline. My hair looks and feels dead and still have massive shedding now. Anyone know if fin can make hair worse?. I have diffuse thinning so thinning all over. Should I drop the fin entirely or bump it back up to 1 mg and stay on for least a year?
Yes, it can, unfortunately. Fin is one of those drugs that some people seem to tolerate fine and for others it just fucks your pituitary and hypothalamus. The reason your hair looks dead and lifeless is because fin will cause homeostatic adjustments to lack of 5AR activity. So, for example, you cut of the 5AR pathway and you're no longer metabolizing T to DHT, progesterone to dihydroprogesterone, deoxycorticosterone to DHdeoxycorticosterone, aldosterone to dihydroaldosterone, etc. Loss of this metabolic pathway causes these steroids to pool in serum. So, you basically end up with high T, progesterone, etc. temporarily until the body adjusts its regulation of their synthesis. It really fucks a lot of things up tbh.

Fin is an awful drug imo and I think it can do serious harm to some people. Others seem to tolerate it ok, but I definitely didn't. It did work very well to stop hair loss and it made my hair incredibly thick and dark, but it only lasted maybe a month and then, like what happened to you, my hair actually got really dry, thin, and wispy. This is due to the body essentially downregulating the synthesis of a bunch of hormones as a result of a missing metabolic pathway. So, something that is supposed to help your hair by preventing the synthesis of a hormone that causes the hair to thin ends up screwing up the synthesis of a bunch of other hormones that are vital to hair growth. And the side effects are just awful. It's honestly such a shit drug.

What gear do u use?