How to keep your gains in PCT

Dizzy

AnabolicLab.com Supporter
What's up meso. Going to start PCT again for the third time. Made some good gains this go. Going to put these juice of the gods away for 3 months. My question is how do the members here that do PCT keep as much gains as possible. What are the things you guys do while recovering to keep them gains! Any advice welcome. Thanks

I think the best thing I've read is don't go into a calorie deficit or to much of a calorie deficit . Alot of people gain an undesirable amount of fat on cycle then try to cut during pct but wind up not eating enough and lose all their gains. On cycle we shovel food in our mouth and when we come off we sorta get lazy on food consumption.

A "caloric deficit" not a good idea but neither is excessive caloric intake.

It's important to note some of the physiologic differences that occur AFTER PCT.

Of course the major difference is
a reduction in SKM anabolism yet just as important is the diminished desire to hit the gym.

The net effect is a decreased metabolic rate and a reduced need for calories, and is the reason diet and exercise are just as important, if not more important AFTER cycling AAS!

It's for these reasons many folk tend to increase TBF and lower LBM, in that interval that follows successful PCT .

At best AAS only set the wheels in motion the remainder requires a lifestyle change OTHERWISE
gains will be lost!

Last edited:
I think the best thing I've read is don't go into a calorie deficit or to much of a calorie deficit . Alot of people gain an undesirable amount of fat on cycle then try to cut during pct but wind up not eating enough and lose all their gains. On cycle we shovel food in our mouth and when we come off we sorta get lazy on food consumption.
While on this cycle I ate protein and meats like its crack and lots fats Lots of veggies. Basically a keto diet. My body look it well and I like what I got out of this cycle. I'm just worried I'll lose a lot of it if I keep with this diet. On this cycle I gained a good amount of muscle and lost body fat. I rather gain the body fat back than lose the muscle I gained

It's important to note some of the physiologic differences that occur AFTER PCT.

a reduction in SKM anabolism yet just as important is the diminished desire to hit the gym.

The net effect is a decreased metabolic rate and a reduced need for calories, and is the reason diet and exercise are just as important, if not more important AFTER cycling AAS!

It's for these reasons many folk tend to increase TBF and lower LBM, in that interval that follows successful PCT .

At best AAS only set the wheels in motion the remainder requires a lifestyle change OTHERWISE
gains will be lost!
Thanks doc.

gains will be lost!
Thanks @Dr JIM I appreciate your input always. I understand with the decrease of metabolic rate that my body won't be able to take the same amount of calories. I'll back off some of the fats and protein. Keep my veggies sky high. But still not go into a calorie deficit. My body usually tells me pretty quickly if it doesn't like the things I'm eating. During PCT I don't really get into a slump and not go to the gym. The first week is hard but after that I'm good. I'm pretty mentally strong so I'm able to push myself. Thanks for your input. I'll probably read what you wrote a few more time during PCT to keep me in line.

Simple:

1) lift heavier weights. This means use a higher percentage of your 1RM.
2) lift less volume. Use less sets and reps but still an adequate number for the percentage of your max you're working with (use Prilepin's table and INOL formula for this).
3) maintain an adequate protein intake. Doesn't have to be excessive, just adequate.
4) if you handle carbs well, drop the keto and maximize your carbohydrate intake.

Simple:

2) lift less volume. Use less sets and reps but still an adequate number for the percentage of your max you're working with (use Prilepin's table and INOL formula for this).
3) maintain an adequate protein intake. Doesn't have to be excessive, just adequate.
4) if you handle carbs well, drop the keto and maximize your carbohydrate intake.
You think dropping the keto and upping the carbs a bit will help with energy? And possibly help keep the muscle I've gained?

Simple:

I agree with all doc says.

I like to work on keeping strength up at this time. I like to incorporate heavy 5x5 with the major 5 lifts and a few extras for lagging parts. Definitely drop the volume till I'm recovered from pct.

Thanks doc.

Thanks @Dr JIM I appreciate your input always. I understand with the decrease of metabolic rate that my body won't be able to take the same amount of calories. I'll back off some of the fats and protein. Keep my veggies sky high. But still not go into a calorie deficit. My body usually tells me pretty quickly if it doesn't like the things I'm eating. During PCT I don't really get into a slump and not go to the gym. The first week is hard but after that I'm good. I'm pretty mentally strong so I'm able to push myself. Thanks for your input. I'll probably read what you wrote a few more time during PCT to keep me in line.
I like to take a that initial week off from the gym and get a bit of rest before I switch to heavy low reps. My body usually is pretty taxed after cycle.

I like to take a that initial week off from the gym and get a bit of rest before I switch to heavy low reps. My body usually is pretty taxed after cycle.
Ya mine is a little beat up. I really pushed this cycle. I really did. It was good. Got some good gains. I see it in the mirror. But this next go I'm going to start writing everything down. So I KNOW where I'm improving and where I'm not.

Ya mine is a little beat up. I really pushed this cycle. I really did. It was good. Got some good gains. I see it in the mirror. But this next go I'm going to start writing everything down. So I KNOW where I'm improving and where I'm not.

I find its better to do a deload week than take a week off. After a powerlifting comp or strong man meet its different and a week of rest is needed but not usually for typical training. Do 70-80% of your maxes on he big lifts, cut your volume in half, and if you're really beat up drop the accessory lifts for that week.

Back