ISO bath to sterilize

Sampei

AnabolicLab.com Supporter
Guys, can anyone of you explain to me in details how to do a proper iso bath to sterilize stoppers and caps?

I'll tell you what I gathered and my doubts so you can address them.

So first of all I'll wash caps and stoppers and vials with distilled water and soap, rinse it few times, I'll than grab a metal bowl fill it with Isopropyl and bath the caps and stoppers and vials in it for 30 minutes. First question: why 70% iso and not 99% iso? I have pure ISO 99+ % should I dilute it to 70% with sterile water?
So after the bath I take the caps and stoppers and rinse them with distilled water, I'll do this twice and then I'll put first the vials it in a oven (only used to sterilize things) at 160c to dry heat sterilize. After they are sterile I'll decrease the temperature and take the stoppers and caps and place it in the oven to dry, when they are dried I'll take the vials + stopper + caps out, fill the vials and crimp everything together.

Is it safe done like this?
Can I reutilize the Isopropyl left in the bowl where I bathed everything or I have to throw it away every time I do an Iso bath?

more questions to come but first let's start with these.

@narta @nightprowler7 @Spaceman Spiff @Dirthand @bighunanballs

Last edited:
1) wash with detergent to remove any residual dirt and oils from manufacturing
2) rinse with tap water until detergent is removed
3) rinse with iso
4) rinse with distilled water
5) dry heat sterilize/dry

for stoppers after 4
put in oxygen peroxide solution for 30' and dry them when you turn off the heat in the oven with the vials

is there a specific % of concentration of oxygen peroxide? I'm not sure but I think we talked about it already. What If I don't have access to high concentration of oxygen peroxide? I can get only 10%.
is chlorine 6-12% ok?
No rinse in distilled water after the oxygen peroxide?

Can I reuse the isopropyl or I have to discard it? Should I make 70% iso or 99+% Iso? I mean when we say rinse they need to be submerged? Do I need to keep them submerged for 30 min or just have the iso run in and over it and wash it away with distilled?

I'm quite worried about fucking up any sterilization process and giving myself an abscess from not sterilizing media bottle or vials correctly, that's why I'm trying to get it right

do I need to sterilize the caps too?
1) wash with detergent to remove any residual dirt and oils from manufacturing
2) rinse with tap water until detergent is removed
3) rinse with iso
4) rinse with distilled water
5) dry heat sterilize/dry

for stoppers after 4
put in oxygen peroxide solution for 30' and dry them when you turn off the heat in the oven with the vials

Last edited:
Here’s my process

I wash my glassware with a brand new sponge and dawn antibacterial dish soap

Rinse with reg water

Without setting it down I pour 70% iso all over it until I see there’s no oil or water marks on the glass

Again without setting it down, I rinse it with distilled water

Then I set it directly into my preheated dry heat oven on a new aluminum foil tray I wiped with iso lightly and let dry then I cover the glassware tent style with aluminum foil so air can freely move but nothing can drop on the glassware. I use a large toaster oven I only use for sterilization and not food or anything else

I have an autoclave now but i haven’t tested it yet. They are pretty affordable if you look around.

Pretty affordable you mean 500$ at least right?

I have an oven like you bought only for sterilization.

Why do you put the foil all over it? I was thinking to just put it on the metal tray or grill, it hasn't been touched by anything except glassware or stuff that needed sterilization.

I mean what could be dropping if it's used only for sterilization?

What about the stoppers? Do you sterilize them same as Narta?
Here’s my process

I wash my glassware with a brand new sponge and dawn antibacterial dish soap

Rinse with reg water

Without setting it down I pour 70% iso all over it until I see there’s no oil or water marks on the glass

Again without setting it down, I rinse it with distilled water

Then I set it directly into my preheated dry heat oven on a new aluminum foil tray I wiped with iso lightly and let dry then I cover the glassware tent style with aluminum foil so air can freely move but nothing can drop on the glassware. I use a large toaster oven I only use for sterilization and not food or anything else

I have an autoclave now but i haven’t tested it yet. They are pretty affordable if you look around.

Back