Peristaltic pump filtering and filling

MrRoidsen

I am buying a peristaltic pump to upgrade my homebrew lab.
I have some questions that I would like to be answered by someone that operates with a peristaltic pump.
I want to use the peristaltic pump, to filter through a capsule filter and directly fill the vials with it, is it posible?
Or do I have to filter to a media bottle and then fill to vials?
The peristaltic pump that I am buying has a mode to select filling volume, for example I can select to fill 10ml, and then that volume goes through the capsule filter to a vial, can I do that?

Thank you.

I've never used one but I don't see why you couldn't. My only concern would be the length of time for exposed vials and the environment your filling in. If it takes substantial more time to fill them this way vs a pipette and pipette dispenser then the exposure is the only issue I see. Unless you have a laminar flow hood or something of the sort.

I've never used one but I don't see why you couldn't. My only concern would be the length of time for exposed vials and the environment your filling in. If it takes substantial more time to fill them this way vs a pipette and pipette dispenser then the exposure is the only issue I see. Unless you have a laminar flow hood or something of the sort.
Thank you for the answer.
Of course I always fill my vials using a laminar flow hood.
I think that the capsule filters I am buying, should filter pretty fast, as they are made for pretty high flow rate, like 10L, and I will be only filtering like 1000ml (100 vials) in total for one filter.

Will make a mess. Better off using a quality bottle top dispenser as it's more sterile/accurate. Just my .02

Thank you for the answer.
Of course I always fill my vials using a laminar flow hood.
I think that the capsule filters I am buying, should filter pretty fast, as they are made for pretty high flow rate, like 10L, and I will be only filtering like 1000ml (100 vials) in total for one filter.
What was your previous setup? I just got a case of whatman and I'm over em. I'm thinking of going to Buchner next. But want to get a decent autoclave with drying function first.

What was your previous setup? I just got a case of whatman and I'm over em. I'm thinking of going to Buchner next. But want to get a decent autoclave with drying function first.
Dispensable bottle top filters. I also thought on buying a reusable glass one and just change the filter membrane each time, but cleaning all the glassware is very tedious, and although I enjoy brewing, I aim to optimize time and get everything done fast.

Will make a mess. Better off using a quality bottle top dispenser as it's more sterile/accurate. Just my .02
Thank you for your opinion,
I already use a bottle top dispenser to fill the vials, but I though that I will speed up the process if I dispense directly from the capsule filter to the vial with the peristaltic pump, as I can select the exact volume I want to be pumped, and skip the media bottle part, that would be less glassware to clean and sterilize.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5aECg8l6xw

Like this guy does, but he is running the pump in transfer mode, I instead will be running the filling mode and dispensing directly to vials instead of the media bottle.

Thank you for your opinion,
I already use a bottle top dispenser to fill the vials, but I though that I will speed up the process if I dispense directly from the capsule filter to the vial with the peristaltic pump, as I can select the exact volume I want to be pumped, and skip the media bottle part, that would be less glassware to clean and sterilize.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5aECg8l6xw

Like this guy does, but he is running the pump in transfer mode, I instead will be running the filling mode and dispensing directly to vials instead of the media bottle.

I do not see this method being any faster, but if the above setup is run inside a horizontal flow hood I don't foresee any serious issues aside from leakage and uneven fill lines.

Peristaltic pumps are great for larger volumes, but going 10mls at a time can be problematic when accuracy is important.

Also running fluids like water through a capsule filter compared to fluids like mct oil or gso are totally different situations that require different speeds and pressures throughout the lines, just keep that in mind.

I do not see this method being any faster, but if the above setup is run inside a horizontal flow hood I don't foresee any serious issues aside from leakage and uneven fill lines.

Peristaltic pumps are great for larger volumes, but going 10mls at a time can be problematic when accuracy is important.

Also running fluids like water through a capsule filter compared to fluids like mct oil or gso are totally different situations that require different speeds and pressures throughout the lines, just keep that in mind.
I mean that it would be faster as I don't have to clean and sterilize the media bottles, and the bottle top dispenser each time, (I just hate the cleaning process).

In theory the peristaltic pump I'm buying has an accuracy of ±0.5% but that's the theory, and the capsule filter can definitely mess that accuracy.

In the end it will be trial and error method, as a lot of things in homebrewing, that's its magic I guess, there is no manual, pure empiricism.

BTW, thank you for your thoughts, I will give you an update once I tried the method even if it is a complete fail.

I mean that it would be faster as I don't have to clean and sterilize the media bottles, and the bottle top dispenser each time, (I just hate the cleaning process).

In theory the peristaltic pump I'm buying has an accuracy of ±0.5% but that's the theory, and the capsule filter can definitely mess that accuracy.

In the end it will be trial and error method, as a lot of things in homebrewing, that's its magic I guess, there is no manual, pure empiricism.

BTW, thank you for your thoughts, I will give you an update once I tried the method even if it is a complete fail.

The accuracy of the capsule filters is for liquids like water that requires very little pressure, but when you are using thick fluids like oils the accuracy is much different and I'm sure you can adjust after some trial and error.

Word to the wise though make sure you use proper fittings to secure the sterile tubing to the capsule filter otherwise if too much pressure is reached it will end up being an epic and very unpleasant mess inside your flow hood lol.