PhD Study

Barny

Hi guys,

I am conducting another study as part of my PhD at the University of Birmingham, looking at psychological factors that accompany use of anabolic steroids within weight training communities. If you are 18 years old or older, have used anabolic steroids in the last 12-months, and are interested, please feel free to click the link to learn more and/or to take part.

Psychological Factors Associated with the Use of Anabolic-Androgenic Steroids

This anonymous survey takes between 5 to 10 minutes to complete. There is a chance to win a £15 Amazon voucher if you wish to take part in a follow up survey. All data will be stored in accordance with GDPR regulations and the UK Data Protection Act 2018. The study is funded by the Economic Social Research Council.

We are aiming to use the data to provide information to harm reduction services to help improve the services they offer to those who use anabolic steroids.

If you have any feedback or issues with the survey, please feel free to message me.

Cheers,

Barny

Sir,

You seriously need a "Not applicable" check block in several of these Agree/Disagree blocks of questions for the results to end up making a lick of sense.

Right now the survey is gong to have a bunch of random garbage noise mixed in with real answers because there is no option to say that a posed scenario has never applied to the respondent.

Example:
I used steroids to alleviate withdrawal-like symptoms experienced during an
“off-cycle” period.

All anyone can say is that they agree/disagree/or are in the middle. No option for anyone who simply never ran into this scenario to have steroid use as an alleviator as a course of action in the first place.

The survey is littered with these.

Maybe just an instruction to pick "neither" as the "N/A" option?

Without that it is going to be a bit difficult to make much sense of a lot of these.

I have to agree with @grey. His post really strikes a chord.

I participated in your last study and, although some of the questions were easy agree/disagree, there were a lot of questions that were really difficult to answer based on the response formatting. I often really had no idea how to answer a lot of the questions... what's worse, you were tracking my questions over the course of X months to see how they changed. I felt like my responses were going to be so inconclusive I hesitated to even finish completing them.

All that said, I am very supportive of what you're doing and I appreciate your presence on the forum and I'll still participate in this survey. I'll be in London in January, I'll get my Amazon voucher from you then...

I participated in your last study and, although some of the questions were easy agree/disagree, there were a lot of questions that were really difficult to answer based on the response formatting. I often really had no idea how to answer a lot of the questions... what's worse, you were tracking my questions over the course of X months to see how they changed. I felt like my responses were going to be so inconclusive I hesitated to even finish completing them.

All that said, I am very supportive of what you're doing and I appreciate your presence on the forum and I'll still participate in this survey. I'll be in London in January, I'll get my Amazon voucher from you then...
You're awesome. I think you've "impacted" every steroid harm reduction study ever published with your prolific participation :):cool:

Sir,

You seriously need a "Not applicable" check block in several of these Agree/Disagree blocks of questions for the results to end up making a lick of sense.

Right now the survey is gong to have a bunch of random garbage noise mixed in with real answers because there is no option to say that a posed scenario has never applied to the respondent.

All anyone can say is that they agree/disagree/or are in the middle. No option for anyone who simply never ran into this scenario to have steroid use as an alleviator as a course of action in the first place.

The survey is littered with these.

Maybe just an instruction to pick "neither" as the "N/A" option?

Without that it is going to be a bit difficult to make much sense of a lot of these.
Thank you for this feedback. We are looking to make edits to and validate some of the measures used within this study, so feedback like this is very useful, thank you.

Last edited:

Thank you for taking part, I really appreciate that and your feedback. Hahaha in the process of getting finance to give me the voucher for the winners of the first prize draw. Brilliant, not a long train ride from Birmingham, you competing?

Thank you for taking part, I really appreciate that and your feedback. Hahaha in the process of getting finance to give me the voucher for the winners of the first prize draw. Brilliant, not a long train ride from Birmingham, you competing?

I'm doing the opposite of competing... going to eat and drink my way through London. Maybe find a nice British girl to fall in love with for a night. I'm just taking a long layover.

A train ride, really? Isn't everything in the United Kingdom basically a short walk away? :)

You're awesome. I think you've "impacted" every steroid harm reduction study ever published with your prolific participation :):cool:

I really think it helps. Plus, I can't complain about archaic steroid laws if I don't volunteer myself.

I'm doing the opposite of competing... going to eat and drink my way through London. Maybe find a nice British girl to fall in love with for a night. I'm just taking a long layover.

A train ride, really? Isn't everything in the United Kingdom basically a short walk away? :)

I really think it helps. Plus, I can't complain about archaic steroid laws if I don't volunteer myself.
Hahaha that sounds like a great plan for a lay over. When the trains aren't on strike it's relatively easy to scoot about. Just expensive:rolleyes:

Hi guys,

I am conducting another study as part of my PhD at the University of Birmingham, looking at psychological factors that accompany use of anabolic steroids within weight training communities. If you are 18 years old or older, have used anabolic steroids in the last 12-months, and are interested, please feel free to click the link to learn more and/or to take part.

This anonymous survey takes between 5 to 10 minutes to complete. There is a chance to win a £15 Amazon voucher if you wish to take part in a follow up survey. All data will be stored in accordance with GDPR regulations and the UK Data Protection Act 2018. The study is funded by the Economic Social Research Council.

We are aiming to use the data to provide information to harm reduction services to help improve the services they offer to those who use anabolic steroids.

If you have any feedback or issues with the survey, please feel free to message me.

Cheers,

Barny
Pay for my next cycle and sure (joking)

Thank you again to all those who have been kind enough to take part in this study.

For those who haven't read the original post, this study is looking at physical and psychological factors that accompany use of anabolic steroids within weight training communities. If you are male/female, over the age of 18, and have used anabolics in the last 12-months and are interested or just want to learn more about this study, please click the link below. This anonymous survey takes between 5 to 10 minutes to complete. There is a chance to win a £15 Amazon voucher if you wish to take part in a follow up survey. All data will be stored in accordance with GDPR regulations and the UK Data Protection Act 2018.

Some items may seem repetitive, this is intentional as we are trying to shorten some existing measures to ensure the most appropriate questions are being asked. Data will be used to provide information to harm reduction services to help improve the services they offer to those who use anabolic steroids.

I will keep the link open for the meantime, as we are still getting great engagement. If you have any feedback or issues with the survey, please feel free to message me.