Potassium intake whilst on Telmisartan

Pantera

I just started Telmisartan 40mg once per day as I am trying to lower my blood pressure during this blast. Even with clean eating and plenty of cardio, my systolic is always sitting at around 135 even though my diastolic is always around 65. The Telmisartan is UGL, as I couldn't find a doctor willing to write me a prescription for them at my age (early 30s).

Anyway, I know that Telmisartan can cause potassium retention and I should watch my potassium to avoid hyperkalemia. I just read that meat is a moderate to high source of potassium. I rely on a lot of meat for my protein intake (which is around 250 - 275 grams per day). My question is, for those of you who are also on similar medications, how much do you really have to watch your potassium intake? Is the amount of potassium I am getting from meat already too much? For what it's worth, I've also cut out bananas, spinach, other leafy greens, and switched to a table salt that has no potassium in it.

P.S. My kidneys are functioning well (eGFR 116 calculated via cystatin c test).

Started it after reading this article should not be that difficult to get prescribed I had pre hypertension. Been taking double your dosage. Yet to have an issue with potassium. Although it does cross my mind at time when taking multivitamins or I see it listed on the label of supplements or foods. Still I don't think it should be an issue for most people. Make sure you drink plenty of water I would think is important.

Started it after reading this article should not be that difficult to get prescribed I had pre hypertension. Been taking double your dosage. Yet to have an issue with potassium. Although it does cross my mind at time when taking multivitamins or I see it listed on the label of supplements or foods. Still I don't think it should be an issue for most people. Make sure you drink plenty of water I would think is important.

Excellent article. Thank you for posting this.

@malfeasance how long did it take you to notice a drop in your blood pressure once you started the Telmisartan? I've been on it for 4 days now and it hasn't dropped yet. I read online that it can take 3 to 4 weeks to get the full benefits, but I suspect I should see some difference by now?

I noticed it right away, but I was taking 80mg. I read the same thing you did. I find it odd you have noticed nothing, but my only experience is my own, so I do not know whether it is common to need to wait.

Google search says onset of antihypertensive activity is 3 hours with maximum effect at 4 weeks.