RBC vs HCT

vaIdosta

I've usually ran higher test cycles and ended up jacking up my HCT and RBC. then I would give blood and the two would both fall in unison. I can feel the effects of high HCT when it happens; extremely lethargic. Sleep does nothing. etc
I've been on a lot lower test + dht's recently instead of high test cycles. My bloodwork came back with hct in range, but high RBC. This is the first time I've only had one of the two elavated. Do you guys usually do anything about it if RBC alone is elavated?

my hct is on the high end of normal, so I could give a double donation and both rbc and hct would end up in range after. but is it worth doing if the main goal is just lowering rbc?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240301_084418_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240301_084418_Drive.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 22
Hematocrit is a measurement of the %V/V of RBCs in the blood. I.e., it measures how much space, as a percentage, your RBCs occupy in a given volume of blood. The RBC count is just that: a count per unit volume of blood.

Knowing that, it would be logical that if your RBCs are small (which yours are), then each one would occupy less space than a normal-sized RBC. Look at your MCV (mean corpuscle volume): it's on the low end. This means that the average size of your RBCs is relatively small.

Donating is a good thing to do. Others need that pint of blood more than you do. It won't hurt you, and it will make a world of difference to someone who is likely very sick.

Back