Syringe filter

RapidRoy

Hey all,

If one where to "break down" some raw peptide powder to use for injection, what kind of syringe filter would they want to use? I realize there several steps before this, but let's say we are towards the end and want to get the solution finalized?

I know there are several sizes, would prob use 0.22um, but unsure about hydrophobic/hydrophilic, PES, PTFE, etc. I would assume hydroPHILIC but not sure.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

Sorry, dissolve ? Can someone please tell me the proper way to use a syringe filter? After dissolving powder should solution be taken up with syringe and needle, then needle replaced with filter and needle on slip end, and needle inserted into empty sterile vial? How do you account for the solution that gets held up by the filter, just make more than you intended?

Thanks

Sorry, dissolve ? Can someone please tell me the proper way to use a syringe filter? After dissolving powder should solution be taken up with syringe and needle, then needle replaced with filter and needle on slip end, and needle inserted into empty sterile vial? How do you account for the solution that gets held up by the filter, just make more than you intended?

Thanks
Some powders from China come raw and cannot be used others can. You dissolve whatever you gonna dissolve. Then put it through the syringe filter and then you either inject, it or put it in a vial. So you draw it through the filter DRAW, not inject. DRAW it through the syringe filter
Thanks

Thanks

After dissolving powder, draw it up with syringe (No Needle). The needle will slow it down and not needed.

Once solution is in the syringe. Use a .22 micron PVDF syringe filter. You are going to put two needles into a vial.

One needle will be for the PVDF filter so you can inject the filtered solution into the vial. The other needle will vent air pressure while you inject the filtered solution. You will connect the syringe into the PVDF filter that is connected to the vial via a needle.

Let me know if that makes sense.

P.S. Some people inject air through the filter to get what gets lost into the filter and others inject carrier oil. Others just dump it, the filter doesnt steal more than 2 mL if i'm not mistaken.

After dissolving powder, draw it up with syringe (No Needle). The needle will slow it down and not needed.

Once solution is in the syringe. Use a .22 micron PVDF syringe filter. You are going to put two needles into a vial.

One needle will be for the PVDF filter so you can inject the filtered solution into the vial. The other needle will vent air pressure while you inject the filtered solution. You will connect the syringe into the PVDF filter that is connected to the vial via a needle.

Let me know if that makes sense.

P.S. Some people inject air through the filter to get what gets lost into the filter and others inject carrier oil. Others just dump it, the filter doesnt steal more than 2 mL if i'm not mistaken.
So that is how you keep the bottle from filling up with pressure?! You use two needles. Does it really matter what gauge? Before I was using just the syringe filter and needle and for the life of me could not get in the last few CCs because of resisting pressure.

Thank you

So that is how you keep the bottle from filling up with pressure?! You use two needles. Does it really matter what gauge? Before I was using just the syringe filter and needle and for the life of me could not get in the last few CCs because of resisting pressure.

Thank you
yeap. simple physics. we 've all been there, don't worry :D

Thank you
Correct.

I recommend 20 g. It will let air and oil flow very well without risk of rubber breaking off into the oil from the vial top with 18 g

18 g is fastest but will cause rubber to break off sometimes.

yeap. simple physics. we 've all been there, don't worry :D
Good. What I was actually doing was taking empty sterilized vials and inserting a needle and 10cc syringe and then pulling out air from the vial. While it wasn’t perfect. I do think it helped, better than not pulling air out. With a second needle though I think I’ll be able to empty the syringe right through the filter without any push-back.

Correct.

I recommend 20 g. It will let air and oil flow very well without risk of rubber breaking off into the oil from the vial top with 18 g

18 g is fastest but will cause rubber to break off sometimes.
Okay so 2x20gauge, one on the slip-end of the PTFE filter and one in center mark of the vial injection port.

Oh, I also wanted to ask- “priming” the filter with 2-3cc of sterilized distilled water - good idea, worth it?
Thank you.

Okay so 2x20gauge, one on the slip-end of the PTFE filter and one in center mark of the vial injection port.

Oh, I also wanted to ask- “priming” the filter with 2-3cc of sterilized distilled water - good idea, worth it?
Thank you.
Unless you are filtering very expensive shit (primo, ment etc) no. The 0.5ml that filter retains not worth it imho

Edit: Now I saw it. DON'T mix water with OIL, cause they...erm.... don't mix?

Thank you.
Zero reason to do that and likely will ruin your brew. No reason at all. Keep it simple

Sponsors