Tretinoin (high dose vitamin A topical skin cream) causing depression (?)

ThyroidMan2020

Its oral formulation "isotretinoin" is well know to cause psychiatric issues, depression, panic, psychosis, and several suicides have been attributed to its use.

I've been using the topical cream in combination with derma-rolling on my face for the past three weeks.

0.025%.

Yesterday at a social event I noticed the distinct presence of a very uncharacteristic low mood, poor interaction resultantly, and the subsequent emergence of panic.

I figure perhaps it's the derma-rolling causing the topical product to get into the blood?

Thereby causing an normally uncharacteristic side-effect for a skin-cream.

In any case I decided to shelve its use for a few weeks at least to see if the low mood lifts (which I have no doubt it will).

It has such a wonderful effect on skin however, at some point I'd like to consider using it again, obviously without the derma rolling.

Questions being, some gentle 0.5 mm needle derma-rolling, would it make THAT much of a difference in product skin-penetration?
Such that, perhaps I just respond badly to the product (I have a HYPERSENSITIVITY to any chemicals, vitamin D supplements even).

Perhaps regardless of derma-rolling, sufficient product would penetrate the skin to cause these psychiatric effects, therefore tretinoin is perhaps one of those products I'll just have to avoid??

I seriously doubt anyone has had this type of experience with topical tretinoin cream but, perhaps there are thoughts on skin penetration and presence in the blood with or without use of a 0.5 mm derma roller?

Comparative example being minoxidil - some folk legitimately get heart issues from applying this on their scalp - even though it's only intended to take effect topically, clearly enough gets into the blood to be appreciable?

Interesting. I have no experience with micro needling or derma rolling. I do however use tretinoin 0.05% 3-5 days a week at night time and have been for ~1 year as part of my skin care routine. I have not experienced any mental sides that I can correlate strictly to the use of tretinoin. I have been really tired lately, possibly depression, but I figure this may be more of a physiological problem. Trying Wellbutrin, which I was hesitant to try, to see if that improves anything until I see benefits from addressing my physiological issues which are iron/thyroid related.

I use topical retin-A and never had any such issues.

I think your depression issues stem from something else to be honest. CNS fatigue from over training gives me temporary depression and is a sign i need to reduce my training/take some rest days. Assuming you weight lift id be more inclined to think this is your cause verse retin-A.

I use 40mg oral daily since 2 months. So far I guess im doing okay, however I noticed im much more emotional and I can confidently state that yes it makes u feel depressed. One just needs to remember why.

I did experience a noticeable energy increase after discontinuation.

Note - that I am HYPERSENSITIVE to anything exogenous.

But retinoids are associated with developmental malformation in the unborn, it's something I feel better avoiding. The replacement is to use skin-peel, acid-peels in place of tretinoin for skin texture/pore-size.

Which are far quicker and feel better to me anyway.

Back