Using a Buchner Funnel For Filtering Oils

aceroids1

Has anyone tried using a Buchner Funnel in their arsenal to filter out oils? Did you have any success with it or do you prefer to use something else?

Here's the exact setup that I'm referring to:

Has anyone tried it to filter out their gear?

It's a pain in the ass. You have to always worry about adequate filter fitment, the possibility of your gear not being properly filtered due to it bypassing the filter, leaks.

I entertained the idea for a while, but ultimately decided on bottle top filters. They work very well. Why mess with what isn't broken

It's a pain in the ass. You have to always worry about adequate filter fitment, the possibility of your gear not being properly filtered due to it bypassing the filter, leaks.

I entertained the idea for a while, but ultimately decided on bottle top filters. They work very well. Why mess with what isn't broken
Great message, but why would the oils bypass the filter paper membranes? They have filter papers that are specifically designed for the Buchner Funnels.

Also, I'd prefer glass or porcelain over plastic since I'm aware of microplastics and would prefer not to take chances with plastic bottle tops if not needed. If Buchner doesnt work & last resort, then definitely will still get plastic.

Great message, but why would the oils bypass the filter paper membranes? They have filter papers that are specifically designed for the Buchner Funnels.

Also, I'd prefer glass or porcelain over plastic since I'm aware of microplastics and would prefer not to take chances with plastic bottle tops if not needed. If Buchner doesnt work & last resort, then definitely will still get plastic.
If I'm not mistaken, your buchner set-up would look like this for the top portion?
3168UpTDoWL._AC_SY780_.jpg

Due to the fact the filter is placed over the holes and not hermetically sealed, under vacuum, the oil could potentially leak.

For me personally, this fact alone merits looking to a more foolproof method.

I understand your apprehension about plastics, but in this context, they work and are an industry standard. If it's good enough for pharmaceutical companies and labs doing research, it's good enough for the homebrewer

If I'm not mistaken, your buchner set-up would look like this for the top portion?
View attachment 150678

Due to the fact the filter is placed over the holes and not hermetically sealed, under vacuum, the oil could potentially leak.

For me personally, this fact alone merits looking to a more foolproof method.

I understand your apprehension about plastics, but in this context, they work and are an industry standard. If it's good enough for pharmaceutical companies and labs doing research, it's good enough for the homebrewer
I believe that these Buchner Funnels also have a top lid piece to seal when pumping and vacuuming.

The things that I like about the Buchner Funnel is that its reusable or you dont have to throw it away like you would with the plastic bottle tops. It's also stronger as it's made of porcelain material and wouldnt crack or break as easily. I could also throw it into a pressure cooker to steam clean it (sterilize it) and never have to worry about microbial life and having it crack while sterilizing. Also, you'd never have to worry about microplastics getting in.

I know that you trust pharmaceuticals, but personally dont. Too many times they give medications that create health problems. I'd prefer to be safe than sorry.

I'm not saying that the bottle tops arent the best solution or that they arent going to do a great job, I'm just saying that to me, at this point, Buchners are still winning my attention. I can see multiple reasons why they could be potentially better than plastic bottle tops as far as durability & saving money in the long run since they're reusable & plastic Zapcap Bottle Tops are to be thrown away after each use.

They work just fine if sterilized/used properly and they cost way less in the long run to operate.

I still prefer disposable bottle top filters though and second pic is the stainless steel piece used to hold the filter in place.

Screenshot_20210721-180342_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210721-180358_Samsung Internet.jpg

They work just fine if sterilized/used properly and they cost way less in the long run to operate.

I still prefer disposable bottle top filters though and second pic is the stainless steel piece used to hold the filter in place.

View attachment 150684

View attachment 150685
Yeah, I've seen these too and like that they're reusable. What type of filter do you use with this one? Is it still the 0.22um filter paper membrane or something else?

Also, why would you prefer to throw away a plastic bottle top and have to keep buying more, when this glass piece that you shared here is pretty solid and can be used almost indefinitely?

Wouldnt you agree that the glass is a bit more solid, permanent, & saves money, especially in the long run?

Why would you prefer plastic over glass or porcelain?

Yeah, I've seen these too and like that they're reusable. What type of filter do you use with this one? Is it still the 0.22um filter paper membrane or something else?

Also, why would you prefer to throw away a plastic bottle top and have to keep buying more, when this glass piece that you shared here is pretty solid and can be used almost indefinitely?

Wouldnt you agree that the glass is a bit more solid, permanent, & saves money, especially in the long run?

Why would you prefer plastic over glass or porcelain?

I absolutely agree with you, but I don't brew for just myself so for time saving and ease I prefer disposable ones. And you would buy sterile .22 filter disks that match the inside diameter of the funnel.

They work great for filtering meth… lol… INSANELY slow, even /w light vacuum filtering the post reaction product of a sandmeyer reaction to make gbl/ghb. 3L in each funnel probably took over 2 or 3 hours, I imagine it would be okay to use with gear, it might take a little bit of time because of the thickness, but you probably would be working with <200ml volume at a time anyways. Personally I hated the syringe filter bullshit, and will be using bottle top filters from now on.

Hey, what about this one? Is this one going to be fast & effective enough or has anyone tried it yet?

View attachment 151045

The unit itself will work just fine, but you need to use nylon or pvdf filters. Mixed Cellulose Ester filters will ruin your gear. Pvdf filters are first choice and nylon coming in second.

Also if you go with this unit make sure you sterilize it properly especially the receiver flask!

If the hand pump doesn't work good go with this vacuum pump :)

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B08HH28QL2/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pd_rd_i=B08HH28QL2p13NParams&smid=AK611BWOCS7MA