• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

major weightloss

thick said:
I know what you are saying but an one ounce of oh is an ounce wether in beer or vodka form. i don't even know if i read the study i am thinking of. my mind may be playing tricks but i thought i have read some type of study that correlates adominal adipose and beer consumption. i don't know. hopefully grizz will find it. this argument is b/n you two lol. i am just an innocent bystander that has seen chics with beer bellies

Oh so you're gonna take his side, that's fucked up, j/k Thick is this what you meant by getting of the topic?

Yep, there was another incorrect statement. Hard alcohol as the exact amount of alcohol as does a beer or a glass of wine. Ok, now that that's settled, you forced me to do it. I've got this one and one more so far and I've just begun.

Influence of alcohol consumption and various beverages on waist girth and waist-to-hip ratio in a sample of French men and women.

Dallongeville J, Marecaux N, Ducimetiere P, Ferrieres J, Arveiler D, Bingham A, Ruidavets JB, Simon C, Amouyel P.

INSERM CJF 95-05, Departement d'Atherosclerose, Institut Pasteur de Lille, France.

OBJECTIVE: The goal of the present study was to assess the association between alcohol consumption and abdominal fat deposition in France, a country where wine is the most commonly consumed alcoholic beverage. METHODS: We analyzed the association between alcohol consumption and various markers of body weight, in a population sample recruited in three distinct geographical areas of France (MONICA centers). This sample included men (n = 1778) and women (n = 1730) aged 35- 64 y, randomly selected from electoral rolls. Alcohol consumption was assessed with a quantitative frequency questionnaire. RESULTS: Alcohol intake ranged from 0-1655 ml of alcohol per week. Wine was the main source of alcohol, representing 67% of total alcohol intake in both genders. In men, there was no association between alcohol intake and body mass index (BMI) or body weight, whereas in women, alcohol consumption was inversely correlated with BMI (P < 0.0001) and body weight (P < 0.0002). In men, total alcohol consumption was positively associated with waist-to-hip ratio (WHR, P < 0.0002) and waist girth (P < 0.004), independently of BMI. Similarly, in women, positive associations were found between alcohol intake and WHR (P < 0.0001) as well as waist girth (P < 0.0001), independently of BMI. In a linear regression model including types of beverages and usual confounders, reporting consumption of either wine, beer or spirit was poorly associated with WHR in men, whereas wine (P < 0.0008) and beer (P < 0.0001) consumptions were both positively associated with WHR in women. However, there was no evidence of a statistically significant heterogeneous effect of wine, beer and spirits on WHR in both genders. CONCLUSION: In a sample of representative French people, in whom wine is the most common alcoholic beverage, alcohol consumption is associated with greater WHR independently of BMI in both men and women.

PMID: 9877253 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Predictors of abdominal obesity among 31-y-old men and women born in Northern Finland in 1966.

Laitinen J, Pietilainen K, Wadsworth M, Sovio U, Jarvelin MR.

1Oulu Regional Institute of Occupational Health, Oulu, Finland.

OBJECTIVE:: To find predictors of abdominal obesity (defined by >90th percentile of waist/hip ratio (WHR)) and related factors among 31-y-old men and women. DESIGN:: Longitudinal study of the northern Finland birth cohort of 1966 with measurements obtained at birth, 14 and 31 y. SUBJECTS:: A total of 2841 men and 2930 women with data on WHR at 31 y. RESULTS:: The most important predictor of abdominal obesity among the 31-y-old men was a high body mass index (BMI), those with normal weight at 14 y who were obese at 31 y having an especially high risk of abdominal obesity at 31 y. Abdominal obesity was independently associated with current weight status, small size for gestational age, a high intake of alcohol at 31 y, physical inactivity at 31 y, unhealthy diet in the sense of infrequent consumption of fiber-rich foods and frequent consumption of sausages, and a low level of occupational training. Physical inactivity and minimal vocational training also tended to be associated with abdominal obesity among women. The analyses were controlled for maternal age and BMI, and also for hormonal contraception and parity among women. CONCLUSIONS:: Some aspects of risk of adult abdominal obesity were evident during adolescence, and good advice is needed then, and in early adulthood, in order to reduce the risk of abdominal obesity in their thirties. Those who are small for gestational age are vulnerable to the development of abdominal obesity. Successful weight control from adolescence to adulthood, and healthy eating, alcohol drinking and exercise habits are important for avoiding abdominal accumulation of body fat. SPONSORSHIP:: This study was supported financially by the Academy of Finland and the European Commission, under its Quality of Life and Management of Living Resources programme, contract number QLG1-CT-2000-01643.European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2004) 58, 180-190. doi:10.1038/sj.ejcn.1601765

PMID: 14679384 [PubMed - in process]

The smoking gun...BAM!!!! I'm done and you can post your gratitude for being enlightened along with your groveling appology to the supreme majesty of this Grizzly Bear. :D :D :D Pay particular attention to the conclusion

Machado PA, Sichieri R.

Departamento de Epidemiologia, Instituto de Medicina Social, Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brasil. m9812705@ims.uerj.br

OBJECTIVES: To assess the association between diet factors and abdominal fat accumulation. METHODS: A household survey carried out in the city of Rio de Janeiro during 1995-1996. The usual diet of a sample of 2,441 individuals (42.8% men and 57.2% women), aged 20 to 60 years, was investigated using a food frequency questionnaire and data about height, weight, waist and hip perimeter was collected. The cut-off points for inadequate waist-to-hip ratio (WHR) for men and women were 0.95 and 0.80, respectively. RESULTS: Inadequate WHR was positively associated with age, cigarette smoking, body mass index, and inversely associated with education level, income and leisure physical activity in both men and women (p<0.05). Inadequate WHR was not associated with lipids, carbohydrates and total fiber intake. Positive association was found with inadequate WHR and spirits consumption among menopause women (p<0.001), and the consumption of four or more glasses of beer per day in men (p<0.001). CONCLUSION: In agreement with other studies, alcohol intake was associated with abdominal fat accumulation.

PMID: 12045801 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

lmao, yep i am siding with grizzly :D i am just glad that my mind wasn't playing tricks on me. However, i am sure there are studies that will say the opposite but now you know that there is some validity to the beer belly

Don't have time for retort right now will post more later, but gotta ask one thing, WHERE THE FUCK DID YOU FIND ALL OF THAT FOREIGN BULLSHIT, FINLAND, BRAZIL? LMFAO!

WOW!!! i was absolutly bum rushed with information, last night it was like 3/4 down page 2, and now its like end of page 3...haha I don't even know where to begin....

uhh.....

Grizzly-you must be a god damn genious!!!! you are a never ending source of knowledge..pubmed......thats awsome..and the post about other 'fucked ups' made me damn near piss my pants..LMFAO!!! i thought i was the only one on here who would have been dipping into shit like that, nice to see im not alone..i don't really have to start liking smoking pot, that was 9th grade...i do prefer that over drinking. And other rec drugs are fun from time to time.

thick-LMFAO about the bunk bed and the fupas...haha

no matter where the fat is going from the alchol, all over, or my gut...either way its cut to one day a week..and hopefully soon not at all.

Ok Grizzley, I know I only have a few posts but I've been on meso for a couple of years know and I have alot of respect for you knowledge, you know what your talking about but that information you posted wont cut it, I'm sure you did a search for that info, as did I, after I found ten sites that said beer gut is a myth a decided that was enough, I didn't check your site, I took your word for it but I know that if that's the best info you could find there can't be anything else out there. If you want I can post the sites. We both found info to support our sides but there is ten times more info to support beer gut as a myth than a fact.

I didn't go to sites, that's why. I went to pubmed, which I assume is short for publsihed medical journals. I might be able to find more, but I stopped after a few because I was sick of it. The site is comprised of medical abstracts.

So you propose that we take a dubious study done by researchers from the University of London that, in summation says, "a new scientific study which found no link between a few pints each week and a beer belly." over those done by medical researchers?

A few pints a week? No shit. You can eat a half gallon of ice cream every week with no problem either.

There's a preponderance of evidence that bolsters my arument and very little for yours. Tell you what, go out and find four separate studies that supprort the beer belly being a myth and then I'll go out and find 2 more that say alcohol predisposes one to abdominal fat storage. If, in the end, you can find more(separate studies, not links to the same studies) than I find, I'll concede the point. However, since that can't be done, I still win.

Last edited:
Alcohol consumption leads to abdominal fat.

Stanford university school of medicine has reported a link between drinking alcohol and abdominal fat.

Recent finding reports that alcohol drinkers have atleast twice the hip-waist ratios as compared to non-alcoholics.

Alcohol also seems to make the body burn less fat and favours fat storage and subsequent weight gain.

by: Dr. Diane Wakat Ph.D

...Although fat patterning has a genetic component, increased consumption of excess carbohydrates, sugars, and alcohol will preferentially increase fat distribution in the waist and abdomen, thereby creating the android pattern. Health risk with the android pattern is also affected by whether the fat is predominantly stored inside the abdominal cavity (intra-abdominal) or on top of the muscles (between muscle and skin surface). Intra-abdominal fat leads to higher lipid levels, thereby to an even greater likelihood of heart disease and/or diabetes. ...

Nutrition in Clinical Care
Volume 3 Issue 2 Page 102 - March/April 2000
doi:10.1046/j.1523-5408.2000.00023.x

Effect of Alcohol on Body Weight
Paolo M. Suter, MD, MS
Abstract

Moderate consumption of alcohol has been lauded as a possible protector of the heart. However, alcohol's effects as a promoter of weight gain and obesity, and subsequently cardiovascular disease risk, have not received much attention. This is likely due to the inconsistencies and confounders associated with both observational and experimental research in this area. Some research has shown, however, that alcohol, even in moderate amounts, can suppress fat oxidation, leading to a positive energy balance. In addition, moderate consumers tend to add alcohol to their typical energy intake. Alcohol provides 7.1 kcal/g and therefore contributes a siginificant amount of calories. Unless this greater energy intake and decreased fat oxidation is compensated for through diet and/or exercise, weight gain and possibly obesity can result. In addition, alcohol enhances the deposition of un-oxidized fat in the abdominal area, which can also raise cardiovascular risk. Patients for whom weight is a concern should be encouraged to decrease their alcohol intake even below the moderate level, which is generally considered as healthy. Fat intake should also be reduced by one gram for every gram of alcohol consumed.

I couldn't resist. Those are the results of my quick google search. This last one is not a separate study, so I won't count it against your total, or lack thereof, but it just rehashes the French study and puts it into coherent English.

Alcohol increaes waist-to-hip ratio
In a representative sample of French men and women, the more alcohol they drank, the larger their waist-to-hip ratio and waist girth. This was independent of body mass index, age, physical activity, socioeconomic level, and smoking.
Total alcohol consumption was what mattered, not whether it was wine, beer, or spirits. (The French drink more wine than any other alcoholic beverage, at 67 percent of total alcohol intake.) There was no protective effect of wine against abdominal fat disposition. This disputes the common belief that drinking beer promotes abdominal fat distribution whereas wine does not. The study suggests a specific effect of alcohol on abdominal fat deposition, the researchers said. (Healthy Weight Journal 1999:13:6;82 / Dallongeville J, Marecaux N, Ducimetiere P, et al. Influence of alcohol consumption and various beverages on waist girth and waist-to-hip ratio in French men and women. Int J Obesity 1998; 1178-1183.)

"The study suggests a specific effect of alcohol on abdominal fat deposition, the researchers said. "

I just thought I would quote that passage since it is almost verbatim what I posted 2 pages ago.

Now, I must take a shower and get ready for work. I'm not sure if I'll make it through the night, though. All of this ass whooping has made me tired. :)

Beer and obesity: a cross-sectional study

M Bobak1, Z Skodova2 and M Marmot1

1Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, International Centre for Health and Society, University College London, UK

2Department of Preventive Cardiology, Institute of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Prague, Czech Republic

Correspondence to: Martin Bobak, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, International Center for Health and and Society, University College London, 1-19 Torrington Place, London WC1E 6BT, UK. E-mail: martinb@public-health.ucl.ac.uk

Gurantor: M Bobak.

Contributors: All authors jointly designed the extension of the Czech MONICA Study. ZS coordinated the data collection and commented on a draft of the paper. MB analysed the data and drafted the paper. MM contributed to the interpretation of the results and writing of the paper.

Abstract

Objective: There is a common notion that beer drinkers are, on average, more 'obese' than either nondrinkers or drinkers of wine or spirits. This is reflected, for example, by the expression 'beer belly'. However, the few studies on the association between consumption of beer and abdominal obesity produced inconsistent results. We examined the relation between beer intake and waist-hip ratio (WHR) and body mass index (BMI) in a beer-drinking population.

Design: A cross-sectional study.

Settings: General population of six districts of the Czech Republic.

Subjects: A random sample of 1141 men and 1212 women aged 25-64 y (response rate 76%) completed a questionnaire and underwent a short examination in a clinic. Intake of beer, wine and spirits during a typical week, frequency of drinking, and a number of other factors were measured by a questionnaire. The present analyses are based on 891 men and 1098 women who where either nondrinkers or 'exclusive' beer drinkers (ie they did not drink any wine or spirits in a typical week).

Results: The mean weekly beer intake was 3.1 l in men and 0.3 l in women. In men, beer intake was positively related to WHR in age-adjusted analyses, but the association was attenuated and became nonsignificant after controlling for other risk factors. There appeared to be an interaction with smoking: the relation between beer intake and WHR was seen only among nonsmokers. Beer intake was not related to BMI in men. In women, beer intake was not related to WHR, but there was a weak inverse association with BMI.

Conclusion: It is unlikely that beer intake is associated with a largely increased WHR or BMI.

European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2003) 57, 1250-1253. doi:10.1038/sj.ejcn.1601678

This is a possibility of why some studies may have been inaccurate considering smoking is a habbit of most drinkers.Past and current smoking in relation to body fat distribution in older men and women
M Visser, LJ Launer, P Deurenberg and DJ Deeg
Department of Human Nutrition, Wageningen Agricultural University, The Netherlands. m.visser.emgo@med.vu.nl

BACKGROUND: Smoking is reported to be positively related to abdominal fat in young and middle-aged persons; however, it is unclear whether this relationship exists in elderly persons. Behavioral influence on fat distribution is of importance because of the accumulation of abdominal fat with age and its associated health risks. METHODS: The relationship was investigated in a population-based sample of 1,178 men and 1,163 women aged 55-85 years, representative of the Dutch older population in 1992-1993. Waist and hip circumference and their ratio were used as indices of fat distribution. Past and current smoking habits were obtained by questionnaire. RESULTS: Smoking was associated with waist/hip-ratio (WHR) in men, with current smokers having the highest WHR and never smokers the lowest. A dose-response relationship between the daily number of cigarettes smoked and WHR was observed in men. These associations remained significant after adjustment for confounding due to age, education, body mass index, health status, alcohol intake, and sports activity. The dose-response relationship did not change after additional adjustment for duration of smoking. Among former male smokers, recent quitters had a higher WHR compared to long- term quitters. Additional analysis showed that smoking was more strongly associated with waist than with hip circumference. In women the relationship between smoking and fat distribution was not clear. CONCLUSIONS: Past and current smoking habits are positively associated with abdominal fat in older men, but not in older women