0.2 µm too slow! Anyone safely use 0.45 µm?

Plate Smacker

For years brewing my own Test Decanoate @300mg/mL 1%BA 18%BB using 0.2 Zapcap-CR bottle top filter on glass media bottle.
166mL typically with 50g of powder.
Would brew more at a time, but just too much time.
Using hand pump, around 10inHg.

Anyone using 0.45 for years and still alive with no issues? Thinking of switching or moving to another filtration method.
Switch too: Using 0.2 filtering: something like this but with sterile filter paper of some sort that won't cause issues.
56mm 0.2um filter paper for this setup?
Brand shown JOANLAB
Filter system on Amazon

Last edited:
So I'm filtering now, and I poured 100mL
in the Zapcap. Worked at first, but then after 5 min... slowed way down. Even went up to 15inHg. Slow flow.

I think you have to pour a little in at a time.
Using the same filter, but only 25mL full, and flow is constant.
I believe that more fluid in the Zapcap may add weight from oil on top of paper and press paper down and slow flow.

Last 3 brews I have had this issue.
In the past I was afraid to pour more than 30ml because what if it falls over or some other accident. No issue with flow.

Once I started saying Eff it, and pour in more oil, like 75ml, I ran into the issues.(last 2 brews) I used multiple filters because I thought the filters were junk.

Right now, even room temperature oil flows constant Drip at 8inHg, with smaller quantity of oil in reservoir.

Anyone have this issue?

What degrees are your oils when pouring to filter? Heat helps. I typically filter 100ml in about 20' with a 33mm 0.22μm syringe filter on a caulking gun, 400mg/ml Test D Castor Oil 2/30 BA/BB. But I run it at 70ºC+

I have always brewed Test D at 190F (87C) for 10-15 Minutes.
Working Temp of the Zapcap-CR (#10443421) filter is 110F (43C) max.

I think this box of filters has some malfunctioning filters. I have never had the issue in the past. Only with this new box of 12 filters. I can get a box for $110.
I have had many boxes, many filters.

I would like to brew 500ml easy and fast.
250mL of Test D, then 250mL Deca whenever needed. Of course change out filter.

Nylon? PTFE/PVDF has a pretty high heat resistance
Not sure if it was email or a specification document for either the Zapcap-CR or Autofil PP. It said max temp was 110F.
I went through my emails couldn't find it, must must have been specification sheet.

I will do some digging.
I have images in my media here that show me using the Autofil PP Nylon.

I will be moving back to those.
Let you know how next brew goes.
Brewing 100g of Deca 300.
Last me next 3 years lol.

Will be doing filtration research in the meantime. Don't want to spend more than $400 on filtration setup.
So far bottle tops have worked for my quantity. Just this little hiccup with this box of Zapcap-CR filters.
20181207_121820-600x800 (1).jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231119_161223_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231119_161223_Chrome.jpg
    895.8 KB · Views: 2
My first brew well over a decade ago, I did .45 because I bought the wrong thing and didn't want to wait a month for the right one to come. Had no issues but I wouldn't do it again and wouldn't recommend it, it was an unnecessary risk

My first brew well over a decade ago, I did .45 because I bought the wrong thing and didn't want to wait a month for the right one to come. Had no issues but I wouldn't do it again and wouldn't recommend it, it was an unnecessary risk
Yeah, my first gear run was from a guy who got it from a guy. 500mg Test E per week. There was a hair in the vial. Had to dodge the hair. I ran that stuff though. Told bro "who ever your getting this from might not be filtering it"... so next was order from trusted sponsor... then I checked out the brewing threads and was like... this is too simple. First brew was through a syringe filter. Even made a thread on the homemade janky syringe press I came up with lol.
I've always used 0.2, but heard of people using 0.45. They prolly still do, but they won't mention it I'm guessing.

Still got 3 Zapcap-CR.
Got pack of 12 Autofil PP Nylon for $100 off Amazon awhile back. With 1000ml cup as well.
Usually cost far more.
Will be doing another brew and use the Zapcap-CR but at 160F while filtering.
Add a little to cup at a time so it doesn't cool down too much.
Enough filtering for 3 years lol
Point Blur_Nov222023_221411.jpg

As i remember long ago.45 was the industry standard. But it didn't catch as much as the .22. Just depends on how much your health is worth it to you. I used .45 20+ years ago. But use .22 now. .45 will work well right up to the point it doesn't.

As i remember long ago.45 was the industry standard. But it didn't catch as much as the .22. Just depends on how much your health is worth it to you. I used .45 20+ years ago. But use .22 now. .45 will work well right up to the point it doesn't.
Candidly. It’s so cheap many of us prefilter with .45 and do second filtration with .22.

Pump it up to 180F it will flow like water. If you can find PTFE it's the best filter imho
Hello, when filtering with PTFE 0.22 with new filters, the filtered oil comes out like when it breaks, I have tried all of them (12) and they do the same, I have filtered other times with PES and it comes out drop by drop and not like this one. If it were water, I imagine they would be defective, now I am going to order pvdf and try it, I have only made 7 vials of deca 250mg