A Simple Meal Plan Guide for Bodybuilding Beginners

Jayne Scott

Introduction

As a Health and Fitness Coach you can imagine that I get to meet many prospective bodybuilders on a daily basis. These beginners are often enthusiastic at the start of our sessions as they excitedly envision a successful bodybuilding journey.

But from experience I know that not all bodybuilding beginners are able to stay the course.

So while I admire the childlike interest in most upstarts, there's always that apprehension at the back of my mind.

From my experience, many novice bodybuilders are not opposed to the expected hardwork in the gym. If anything, most fresh-faced bodybuilders tend to relish the hustle and bustle of regular workouts.

What I discovered with many beginners was that they were so eager to start a androgenic-anabolic steroid cycle.

It was as if they thought AAS was a magic pill that would suddenly grant them all their bodybuilding hopes and aspirations.

While AAS is undoubtedly effective in bodybuilding it is not and should not be seen as the end-all and be-all of bodybuilding.

Indeed, there are many other facets of bodybuilding that are equally important. Nutrition is one.

I discovered that many beginners struggled to maintain a structured bodybuilding meal plan.

Nutrition as we all know is a vital part of any workout regime, but many beginners find it hard staying true to the dietary plan that is ideal for their bodybuilding needs.

Failure to supplement your workout routine with a good nutritional plan can be disadvantageous to your bodybuilding efforts.

At the start of my sessions I often have to answer many enquiries on nutrition. Some of the most commonly asked questions by my clients include:

• What's the best bodybuilding meal plan for beginners?
  • What's the best dietary plan for losing weight?
  • What's the best meal plan for gaining weight?
  • What's the best nutrition plan for High Interval Intensity Training (HIIT)?
  • What's the best diet for staying healthy while bodybuilding?

In this simple meal plan guide for bodybuilding beginners, I will provide you with answers to these questions. This thread will be broken into three parts. In this first post I will provide a list of key grocery items.

In the second part I will state five key essentials for bodybuilding nutrition, and the third post will highlight a meal plan template that is best suited for most personal fitness goals and bodybuilding needs.

Happy reading!

Part 1: List of Key Grocery Items

The first thing you need to know whether you intend to lose body weight or bulking your skeletal muscles is that you need four essential food groups. These food groups will help to boost your energy levels while promoting increased skeletal muscle growth.

These four food groups remain a constant in every meal plan and they should be top on your list of grocery items.

So what are these four food groups?

#1. Fruits, Legumes and Vegetables: The first food group consists of tropical fruits like oranges, apples, berries, avocados, and so on. It also includes legumes like peas, red kidney beans, and brown beans. Vegetables should also be included in your grocery list; preferably fibrous leafy green veggies. Fibrous vegetables help to boost your digestive system and prevent constipation. Fruits, legumes and vegetables improve your immune system while boosting your red blood cell production. This increases the amount of oxygenated blood available to your brain, muscles, heart and every other vital organ in your body. Oxygen-rich red blood cells help to promote your cardiovascular conditioning while also boosting your energy, stamina, and strength.

#2. Fats and Oils: Your grocery list should also include healthy fats and oils. Monounsaturated and Polyunsaturated fats are essential for increasing your High Density Lipoprotein (HDL) levels which helps in regulating your blood pressure, preventing blood clotting, atherosclerosis (i.e. a hardening of your arteries), stroke, and heart attack. You can find monounsaturated fats in canola oil, olive oil, peanut oil, avocados, non-hydrogenated margarine, cashew nuts, hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios, and almonds. Polyunsaturated fats can be obtained from cold-water fish such as; herring, sardines, and mackerel. You can also find Polyunsaturated fat in walnuts, pine nuts, flaxseed, pecans, and omega-3 eggs.

#3. Protein: The third type of food you should budget for is protein. While you can get protein from junk food, you need to keep to healthy sources of protein for your meal plan. The best sources of healthy protein include: Greek yogurt, white meat (e.g. chicken), whole eggs, egg whites, white fish, and protein powders. Protein is essential for promoting skeletal muscle repair and growth.

#4. Starches: Natural starch can be obtained from foods such as: potatoes, brown rice, oats, cereals, quinoa, wheat bread, whole-wheat pastas, and yams. Starch provides your body with essential calories and gives you the energy needed for HIIT.

So whenever you go shopping at your local grocery store make sure you have a list of items that include these four essential food groups. Regardless of your bodybuilding needs, your meal plan should include these four types of foods.

In the next part of my Simple Meal Plan Guide for Bodybuilding Beginners, I will highlight the Five Key Essentials for Bodybuilding Nutrition, so stay tuned for that. But in the meantime you can check out my Top Diet and Nutrition Tips here.

I agree with everything, the only thing I have a bone to pick about is the fats. I think managing omega 3:6 ratio is very important for overall health. I would rather eat butter than canola oil. I eat a lot of olive oil, although the omega ratio isn't that great, it is almost entirely omega 9, so it's low amounts of both. I think that overconsumption of vegetable oil is part of the issue with the modern diet.

However, for any bodybuilder that does follow a solid meal plan or diet protocol, their overall oil intake should be low enough that just taking an omega 3 supplement 1-2 times per day should suffice.

One thing I would encourage people to look into is the differences between DHA and EPA. They actually have pretty differing health benefits, so depending on what you're looking for you may want to get one or the other. I remember listening to an episode of Stronger by Science where they reviewed the research, but now I can't find it based off title. I think it may be this one--I know it was one of the more recent ones from this year. All their podcasts have timestamps for each topic so you can skip to whatever you want.
Responders, Non-Responders, and Fish Oil

Solid writeup though! Whenever I go to the grocery store I spend a lot of time getting various veggies and some fruits. I try to mix it up. Like I don't want to eat broccoli ALL THE TIME. I will get broccoli, beats, carrots and parsnips (they are SOO good roasted together with some potatoes), cauliflower, salad greens, sweet potatoes. Not a huge avocado fan but I get them sometimes. I basically mosey around the produce section for like 10 mins figuring out what I want then I speed through the rest of the store just buying and stocking up on the usual shit lol. It is rare that the checkout people don't comment on my food haul and how healthy it is. I once had a customer behind me be like "holy shit man you eat healthy as hell! I guess it makes sense though, I mean look at ya'!" The guy was at the store literally just buying a bunch of beer, and I have more vegetables than he eats in a whole month, maybe a whole year lmao...gotta love rural America!

I agree with everything, the only thing I have a bone to pick about is the fats. I think managing omega 3:6 ratio is very important for overall health. I would rather eat butter than canola oil. I eat a lot of olive oil, although the omega ratio isn't that great, it is almost entirely omega 9, so it's low amounts of both. I think that overconsumption of vegetable oil is part of the issue with the modern diet.

However, for any bodybuilder that does follow a solid meal plan or diet protocol, their overall oil intake should be low enough that just taking an omega 3 supplement 1-2 times per day should suffice.

One thing I would encourage people to look into is the differences between DHA and EPA. They actually have pretty differing health benefits, so depending on what you're looking for you may want to get one or the other. I remember listening to an episode of Stronger by Science where they reviewed the research, but now I can't find it based off title. I think it may be this one--I know it was one of the more recent ones from this year. All their podcasts have timestamps for each topic so you can skip to whatever you want.
Responders, Non-Responders, and Fish Oil

Solid writeup though! Whenever I go to the grocery store I spend a lot of time getting various veggies and some fruits. I try to mix it up. Like I don't want to eat broccoli ALL THE TIME. I will get broccoli, beats, carrots and parsnips (they are SOO good roasted together with some potatoes), cauliflower, salad greens, sweet potatoes. Not a huge avocado fan but I get them sometimes. I basically mosey around the produce section for like 10 mins figuring out what I want then I speed through the rest of the store just buying and stocking up on the usual shit lol. It is rare that the checkout people don't comment on my food haul and how healthy it is. I once had a customer behind me be like "holy shit man you eat healthy as hell! I guess it makes sense though, I mean look at ya'!" The guy was at the store literally just buying a bunch of beer, and I have more vegetables than he eats in a whole month, maybe a whole year lmao...gotta love rural America!
And how do you feel about coconut oil as a source of fat. And its effect on cholesterol and lipid profile. I read somewhere that it is more effective than vegetable and olive oil.

Introduction

As a Health and Fitness Coach you can imagine that I get to meet many prospective bodybuilders on a daily basis. These beginners are often enthusiastic at the start of our sessions as they excitedly envision a successful bodybuilding journey.

But from experience I know that not all bodybuilding beginners are able to stay the course.

So while I admire the childlike interest in most upstarts, there's always that apprehension at the back of my mind.

From my experience, many novice bodybuilders are not opposed to the expected hardwork in the gym. If anything, most fresh-faced bodybuilders tend to relish the hustle and bustle of regular workouts.

What I discovered with many beginners was that they were so eager to start a androgenic-anabolic steroid cycle.

It was as if they thought AAS was a magic pill that would suddenly grant them all their bodybuilding hopes and aspirations.

While AAS is undoubtedly effective in bodybuilding it is not and should not be seen as the end-all and be-all of bodybuilding.

Indeed, there are many other facets of bodybuilding that are equally important. Nutrition is one.

I discovered that many beginners struggled to maintain a structured bodybuilding meal plan.

Nutrition as we all know is a vital part of any workout regime, but many beginners find it hard staying true to the dietary plan that is ideal for their bodybuilding needs.

Failure to supplement your workout routine with a good nutritional plan can be disadvantageous to your bodybuilding efforts.

At the start of my sessions I often have to answer many enquiries on nutrition. Some of the most commonly asked questions by my clients include:

• What's the best bodybuilding meal plan for beginners?
  • What's the best dietary plan for losing weight?
  • What's the best meal plan for gaining weight?
  • What's the best nutrition plan for High Interval Intensity Training (HIIT)?
  • What's the best diet for staying healthy while bodybuilding?

In this simple meal plan guide for bodybuilding beginners, I will provide you with answers to these questions. This thread will be broken into three parts. In this first post I will provide a list of key grocery items.

In the second part I will state five key essentials for bodybuilding nutrition, and the third post will highlight a meal plan template that is best suited for most personal fitness goals and bodybuilding needs.

Happy reading!

Part 1: List of Key Grocery Items

The first thing you need to know whether you intend to lose body weight or bulking your skeletal muscles is that you need four essential food groups. These food groups will help to boost your energy levels while promoting increased skeletal muscle growth.

These four food groups remain a constant in every meal plan and they should be top on your list of grocery items.

So what are these four food groups?

#1. Fruits, Legumes and Vegetables: The first food group consists of tropical fruits like oranges, apples, berries, avocados, and so on. It also includes legumes like peas, red kidney beans, and brown beans. Vegetables should also be included in your grocery list; preferably fibrous leafy green veggies. Fibrous vegetables help to boost your digestive system and prevent constipation. Fruits, legumes and vegetables improve your immune system while boosting your red blood cell production. This increases the amount of oxygenated blood available to your brain, muscles, heart and every other vital organ in your body. Oxygen-rich red blood cells help to promote your cardiovascular conditioning while also boosting your energy, stamina, and strength.

#2. Fats and Oils: Your grocery list should also include healthy fats and oils. Monounsaturated and Polyunsaturated fats are essential for increasing your High Density Lipoprotein (HDL) levels which helps in regulating your blood pressure, preventing blood clotting, atherosclerosis (i.e. a hardening of your arteries), stroke, and heart attack. You can find monounsaturated fats in canola oil, olive oil, peanut oil, avocados, non-hydrogenated margarine, cashew nuts, hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios, and almonds. Polyunsaturated fats can be obtained from cold-water fish such as; herring, sardines, and mackerel. You can also find Polyunsaturated fat in walnuts, pine nuts, flaxseed, pecans, and omega-3 eggs.

#3. Protein: The third type of food you should budget for is protein. While you can get protein from junk food, you need to keep to healthy sources of protein for your meal plan. The best sources of healthy protein include: Greek yogurt, white meat (e.g. chicken), whole eggs, egg whites, white fish, and protein powders. Protein is essential for promoting skeletal muscle repair and growth.

#4. Starches: Natural starch can be obtained from foods such as: potatoes, brown rice, oats, cereals, quinoa, wheat bread, whole-wheat pastas, and yams. Starch provides your body with essential calories and gives you the energy needed for HIIT.

So whenever you go shopping at your local grocery store make sure you have a list of items that include these four essential food groups. Regardless of your bodybuilding needs, your meal plan should include these four types of foods.

In the next part of my Simple Meal Plan Guide for Bodybuilding Beginners, I will highlight the Five Key Essentials for Bodybuilding Nutrition, so stay tuned for that. But in the meantime you can check out my Top Diet and Nutrition Tips here.
I just want to thank you for such a detailed description of nutrition and what you need to pay attention to. More often, we beginners are looking for a magic exercise or pill. Which will magically give us the result. And most importantly, we forget about the basic and basic things. Such as recovery, proper nutrition and sleep. As a rule, we devote little time to nutrition, but we don’t train enough, we grow when we recover and we give the body building material in the form of food for recovery and growth. And of course, few people pay attention to how much he drinks in a day of ordinary water. After all, this is an important aspect of nutrition, water is life. We are made up mostly of water.

And how do you feel about coconut oil as a source of fat. And its effect on cholesterol and lipid profile. I read somewhere that it is more effective than vegetable and olive oil.
I am not a fan of eating it, myself. There is some interesting research on the paradoxical effects of coconut oil on lipid profile, but not as many as I would like. I don't personally buy it 100%. There was a time in my life when I was consuming a decent amount of coconut oil and it worsened my lipids fairly significantly.

Coconut oil is like 79% saturated fat. Despite this, there are the studies domstrating it's beneficial. Of course the bloggers and influences then latch onto this and make it sound like a miracle oil--like you can make a pan of brownies and if you use coconut oil and honey itbis magically healthy lmao.

However, I also see recent systematic reviews from 2020 showing that it had a deleterious effects too. The health impacts of coconut oil are by no means settled.

The Effect of Coconut Oil Consumption on Cardiovascular Risk Factors: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Clinical Trials - PubMed - LDL was raised by aboutb10.5 md/dL and HDL by 4 mg/dL as compared with "nontropical vegetable oils". Didn't have ant significant effect on glycerin, inflammation, or adiposity as compared with nontrooical veg. oils.

Impact of coconut oil consumption on cardiovascular health: a systematic review and meta-analysis - PubMed -again, significantly raised HDL and LDL, though not by much. This one concludes that compared with animal oil, coconut oil was beneficial, but it says it doesn't recommend replacing any significant amount of unsaturated fst with coconut oil. Further research. Is needed to ascertain the appropriate role of coconut oil in cardiovascular help.

Effect of coconut oil on cardio-metabolic risk: A systematic review and meta-analysis of interventional studies - PubMed - this one showed coconut oil to significantly increase LDL, and HDL and decreased HbA1c. It says coconut oil was better than butter, but I doubt they were using grass fed butter, and was much worse than other plant oils. It states coconut oil consumption can be one of the risk factors for CVDs in South Asians.

So one other thing to consider is that it could have varying effects on different ethnicities or based off of your genes. We simply don't know enough yet. Regardless of this, the evidence is quite conflicting.

All I know for sure is that high-quality, real Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is undisputably good. I take my omega 3s daily, because J do think Omega 3:6 balance is important to inflammation and overall health. Personally, when I make something like a cake or banana bread or shit like that I simply replace the oil with applesauce. For things that news oil I mostly use EVOO, for high-heeled on frying I use some virgin avocado oil, but it's pretty rare. And for some things I use organic, grass fed, local butter. I HVe seen the cows and they are beautiful, happy beings. Factory farmed dairy products I do think are harmful to human health, for sure.

Coconut oil makes a good body lotion. Also before sex if you and your girl rinse your genitals off, coconut oil makes a really nice little rub to make the whole area smooth and smell great. Gotta love going down on a girl with a nice clean vagina and ass that smells like coconuts ;)

I am not a fan of eating it, myself. There is some interesting research on the paradoxical effects of coconut oil on lipid profile, but not as many as I would like. I don't personally buy it 100%. There was a time in my life when I was consuming a decent amount of coconut oil and it worsened my lipids fairly significantly.

Coconut oil is like 79% saturated fat. Despite this, there are the studies domstrating it's beneficial. Of course the bloggers and influences then latch onto this and make it sound like a miracle oil--like you can make a pan of brownies and if you use coconut oil and honey itbis magically healthy lmao.

However, I also see recent systematic reviews from 2020 showing that it had a deleterious effects too. The health impacts of coconut oil are by no means settled.

The Effect of Coconut Oil Consumption on Cardiovascular Risk Factors: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Clinical Trials - PubMed - LDL was raised by aboutb10.5 md/dL and HDL by 4 mg/dL as compared with "nontropical vegetable oils". Didn't have ant significant effect on glycerin, inflammation, or adiposity as compared with nontrooical veg. oils.

Impact of coconut oil consumption on cardiovascular health: a systematic review and meta-analysis - PubMed -again, significantly raised HDL and LDL, though not by much. This one concludes that compared with animal oil, coconut oil was beneficial, but it says it doesn't recommend replacing any significant amount of unsaturated fst with coconut oil. Further research. Is needed to ascertain the appropriate role of coconut oil in cardiovascular help.

Effect of coconut oil on cardio-metabolic risk: A systematic review and meta-analysis of interventional studies - PubMed - this one showed coconut oil to significantly increase LDL, and HDL and decreased HbA1c. It says coconut oil was better than butter, but I doubt they were using grass fed butter, and was much worse than other plant oils. It states coconut oil consumption can be one of the risk factors for CVDs in South Asians.

So one other thing to consider is that it could have varying effects on different ethnicities or based off of your genes. We simply don't know enough yet. Regardless of this, the evidence is quite conflicting.

All I know for sure is that high-quality, real Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is undisputably good. I take my omega 3s daily, because J do think Omega 3:6 balance is important to inflammation and overall health. Personally, when I make something like a cake or banana bread or shit like that I simply replace the oil with applesauce. For things that news oil I mostly use EVOO, for high-heeled on frying I use some virgin avocado oil, but it's pretty rare. And for some things I use organic, grass fed, local butter. I HVe seen the cows and they are beautiful, happy beings. Factory farmed dairy products I do think are harmful to human health, for sure.

Coconut oil makes a good body lotion. Also before sex if you and your girl rinse your genitals off, coconut oil makes a really nice little rub to make the whole area smooth and smell great. Gotta love going down on a girl with a nice clean vagina and ass that smells like coconuts ;)
Thank you for such a detailed review and description. Then, as before, I will add extra virgin olive oil to my diet. I like it overall and like to add it to rice, pasta and vegetables. Here's coconut oil. And they told me here that it’s just miraculous, but I realized that this is marketing

T
I just want to thank you for such a detailed description of nutrition and what you need to pay attention to. More often, we beginners are looking for a magic exercise or pill. Which will magically give us the result. And most importantly, we forget about the basic and basic things. Such as recovery, proper nutrition and sleep. As a rule, we devote little time to nutrition, but we don’t train enough, we grow when we recover and we give the body building material in the form of food for recovery and growth. And of course, few people pay attention to how much he drinks in a day of ordinary water. After all, this is an important aspect of nutrition, water is life. We are made up mostly of water.
Thanks.