Band shirts. Yea or nah for men in 40s?

Malevolent666

This thread I'm sure some (or most) will consider garbage. I'll be 40 years old on Friday. I'm a huge fan of metal music. It fuels my workouts like no other. It is a passion and hobby of mine.

Walking around with these shirts on on public, I get looks. Probably because it goes against the grain of normalcy. People in general are not comfortable with that. Also maybe because I don't look like I listen to metal. I'm a clean cut guy.

One of the small reasons I got on TRT (and have titrated up in a year) was my perception that upping my Testosterone will up my confidence. Confidence in that, I won't care about the looks I get from the sheep in public for wearing these shirts. It hasn't really worked. The only mind game I play is to think to myself that I look better than 98% of these people with my shirt off. I even jumped on Masteron for the "positive mental" benefits of it. Only been 2 weeks but we'll see.

Anyway, you can blast me for this post if you want or offer any suggestions. I'm ready for it. I've attached pics below of some examples of the "weirdness."
08TSM24052203.jpg08TSM20082501.jpgSLR_ReignInBloodTee_1000x.pngmalevolentredf_900x.jpgCrew-NeckT-Shirt-2023-09-07T132630.484_900x.jpgEdited12_900x.jpg

I think it’s more mental on your part, no amount of gear will give you confidence. You will just be a shy jacked individual lol.

I guess you need to work on not giving a fuck about other people’s perception more, I’m actually the opposite as I grew older the more I don’t give a shit lol.

Wear whatever you want man, nobody cares as long as your like it is what’s more important.

40 yr old dudes wearing band shirts is normal where I live. Don't worry about. Live your life and go on with your day.
I live in a midwest suburb. You wear any type of anti Christianity band shirt you get looks at the grocery store, mall, movies, etc. A lot of bands I enjoy (at the gym and out of it) are anti Christian.

Just an annoying unnecessary mental obstacle that I have to deal with in day to day life.

Last edited:
Since I was a child and first heard Metallica's Master of puppets at 8 years old I always thought metal was the music that had the most testosterone in it so to speak.

Then I discovered Slayer and it was uphill or downhill from there. Hundreds of bands I discovered to where boredom is impossible.

Probably a regional/cultural thing. Totally fine where I live. Plenty of way stranger folks than a simple band shirt here. I could see if you live in a very religious or strict place you may get looks. If you get looks, fuck 'em. You do you!

One of my favorite shirts is an old Season in the Abyss I still wear amongst others and I'm older than 40.

Some people are going to judge other people no matter what you where. Lame people have lame mentalities and act lame. I have no time for them. On the flip side when you are and live who you want to be you will likely meet other cool people doing the same.